GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Correct. I use the 2x4 method per above. There is no reason not to. I also did not replace any nuts/bolts on the rear based on the recommendation of others. 5k miles later and everything is fine.

Also, I don't know where you can buy all of those OEM nuts/bolts for $16. Screaming deal if that's true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm installing my ED Springs this weekend and this guide definitely helps. I've done installs before on my previous car (MKIV Jetta) so I'm not too worried about this install.

Question on the 2 x 4, does it matter if the one I have is 24"? I mean I seen people mentioned they have used 22" or so. I'm just wondering if 24" is too long.

Thanks, great write up!

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I've removed my front struts 5-6 times, reused the pinch bolts and nut each time...

Nik, this is no debatable,there are facts to back this up, never advise people to do this just because you never had a problem. Those bolts are reasonably priced and it is a good idea to replace them.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I'm installing my ED Springs this weekend and this guide definitely helps. I've done installs before on my previous car (MKIV Jetta) so I'm not too worried about this install.

Question on the 2 x 4, does it matter if the one I have is 24"? I mean I seen people mentioned they have used 22" or so. I'm just wondering if 24" is too long.

Thanks, great write up!

Hey no problem. The length will depend on the height of your floor jack. I'm guessing you will need to cut yours down but it's not like it has to be exact. Better too long than too short. Just cut it down as needed.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Hey no problem. The length will depend on the height of your floor jack. I'm guessing you will need to cut yours down but it's not like it has to be exact. Better too long than too short. Just cut it down as needed.

Also depends on how high you have your car off the ground/on the stands.

But yeah, just cut/trim it down accordingly

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Oops, yep. My jack stands are 13" and floor jack is 4". But yeah just adjust as needed. You will be just fine.

Edit: I've updated the instructions as well.

Cheers.

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Also depends on how high you have your car off the ground/on the stands.

But yeah, just cut/trim it down accordingly

Thanks guys, I did have I trim the 2x4 2" down to 22". Finished the installing about 4.5 hours. Great tips on getting the front strut out!

These are by far the best instructions I've seen. Thanks again.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
FWIW, I did 2x4 method once and did the regular way(per DAP's video on Youtube) once. Both time with a friend. My 2x4 method didn't go particularly well, not sure if it has more to do with the fact that I wasn't installing lowering spring or not. The regular method took about 2 hours to do both front struts and rear shocks. Unbolting everything in the front(inner CV, lower balljoints) made it a lot easier to wiggle everything loose.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Awesome on the install, and glad it helped! Kudos to all of the contributors. :cool:

Kudos indeed! Here are some pics of the 2x4 during my install

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
FWIW, I did 2x4 method once and did the regular way(per DAP's video on Youtube) once. Both time with a friend. My 2x4 method didn't go particularly well, not sure if it has more to do with the fact that I wasn't installing lowering spring or not. The regular method took about 2 hours to do both front struts and rear shocks. Unbolting everything in the front(inner CV, lower balljoints) made it a lot easier to wiggle everything loose.

Did it go something like this? lol

(start around 7:00 mark and watch until 16:00 mark)

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Will be doing this soon. Thanks for putting everything together!

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Didn't see the reply, mine went pretty smoothly, everything just slide apart, and went back together like normal.