GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
You tracking it? Or trying to run 255/265 width wheels? Otherwise no camber plates. Going with the minimal recommended parts in the spring install guide myself to install the same Koni's and springs.

Maybe I drive like I'm tracking it???:confused:

Well I'm all for saving 310 bucks for them.. lol

So is the full ECS kit the way to go ??

ECS Tuning

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Maybe I drive like I'm tracking it???:confused:

If you've got a lot of twisties that you get to drive on the weekends, get the 034 camber strut mounts.

I don't get to do a lot of that, so I am holding off on the camber strut mounts for now. If I end up getting wider wheels I do want to shoot for 255 width tires, and would add the 034 mounts then.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
If you've got a lot of twisties that you get to drive on the weekends, get the 034 camber strut mounts.

I don't get to do a lot of that, so I am holding off on the camber strut mounts for now. If I end up getting wider wheels I do want to shoot for 255 width tires, and would add the 034 mounts then.

I'll definitely go 235/40/18 on the stock austin's or 245/40/18 if I get a wider wheel, but that would be my max

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Ya I’d add TT rear spring pads to this mix then.

Just replace the recommended hardware. Re-use the stock mounts.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Ya I’d add TT rear spring pads to this mix then.

Just replace the recommended hardware. Re-use the stock mounts.

We shouldn't need them with these springs.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the input everyone!! I haven't been able to find anyone running those springs on the forums.. I will admit I copied Demi90d

meh I just priced all those bolts alot cheaper than that ECS kit..

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
so with 65k miles you wouldn't replace the mounts?
I would replace strut mounts at that milage.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Nmike101

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give a huge thank you to the op and anyone who put together a diy for this process. Installed Koni Yellows and and Eibach pro kit this weekend on my 2017 Sport, and it went mostly smooth because of the material available from the community.

I would say it took me 5-6 hours total with a rear sway bar install also. At least 2 hours was trying to get the inner axle bolts lined up and back in. That was the only issue I had. I was very nervous about cross threading a hole, and it was really difficult to hold the axle in place while threading a bolt through. I ended up jacking the lower control arm up to make the axle almost horizontal. I was then able to get the bolt holes to line up without having to use a lot of force.

My thought after the first drive was “why in the world did this car not come like this?!?!” It feels almost effortless to get the car around a turn now. Initial turn is much sharper and precise. Ride comfort feels almost the same, which surprised me. Front dampers are set to 25% stiff. Rear dampers set to 50%. I’ll probably go 50% on the front too, but I wanted to start off on the more comfortable side.

I was also really pleased with the drop. It looks good, but most people probably won’t even notice. Can’t go too low in NY anyway. Excuse the crappy pics, have to get the car cleaned up before any glamour shoots. Haha.

Happy suspensioning everyone, and thanks again for such a solid knowledge base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copperbricks

Ready to race!
Hi all, I've got some Bilstein B14s on the way and used this thread to order the requisite replacement hardware (went for strut tops and bearings as well). However I have a question about the 2x4 method. Will I need to a use a 2x4 to compress the new Bilstein shock to get it into the mounting spot?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Hi all, I've got some Bilstein B14s on the way and used this thread to order the requisite replacement hardware (went for strut tops and bearings as well). However I have a question about the 2x4 method. Will I need to a use a 2x4 to compress the new Bilstein shock to get it into the mounting spot?
Yes, the method is used to remove and to install the strut into the knuckle.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Piggybacking what Niol8r just said....if it's a OEM length strut, yes you'll need to use the 2x4 to lift/compress it to get it back in.

If it was a (shorter) coilover setup, then no you wouldn't need it for example...since there'd be more room

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
This is by far the best write up for lowering springs. I was able to do the rear in about 1.5 hours, the front took me about 4 hours to do cause I couldn’t get the shock out of the knuckle. Instead of buying the knuckle spreader I just made one with an Allen key 8mm. Shaved it to size and worked great to open the knuckle up. If you have lighting package, on the rear driver side is the sensor. Disconnect it via the two small bolts connecting it to the lower control arm. The front once you have the knuckle spread. Twist it to make sure the shock is able to spin. If it doesn’t you need to reinstall the knuckle spreader in a better spot. Once the shock is now able to spin back and forth a couple mm, you are going to need a ladder to climb up on and start slamming the hell of the rotor. Should pop right now. I tried pushing it and wiggling it and even a slug hammer, by far the fastest way was getting on the latter and stomping it down. Hope these little details help someone out!