GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
As I mentioned I already bought new bolts, but looking at them they don't appear to be stretch bolts. Safety is one thing but just trying to expand the conversation as they do not have the characteristics of a stretch bolt.

Will your strut fall off the car if you don't use new bolts? Probably not, since the clamping force of the knuckle keeps it in place too...for a while (eventually the knuckle opening can get overstretched after doing multiple strut swaps or by using the wrong tool to spread the knuckle)

VW says to use new ones though & they're cheap...so that's why I've always replaced them

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion

mojaito

Passed Driver's Ed
My shop installed Bilstein B8 struts with VWR springs 5 month ago and was bottom out/squeaks so after watching DAP videos and this thread I decided to go ahead. Today I installed H&R springs,034 strut mounts and OEM bearings, took me 3-4hrs( rotated my tires after having them installed ?)as advertised. I would like to thank Hammersticks for this awesome thread??????.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Thanks for putting this together Hammer. This was critical to a smooth install of my VWR springs. Still need to troubleshoot some rear suspension noise, but other than that all is good!

edconline

Thanks for this great DIY! Did this today (installed the MSS fully adjustable sport kit) and for the most part it went well. Definitely a learning curve even with instructions but any subsequent installs would be a lot easier.
Went for a test drive and noticed a slight clunking noise over certain low speed bumps; seemed more prevalent in comfort mode on the DCC? 99% sure it is the front left corner.

I’ll check the front upper strut nut again tomorrow, I’m hoping it isn’t how the spring is seated in the lower perchas it would really suck to have to remove it again. MSS says in their install/troubleshooting guide that if the spring is rotated even 1mm back from the stop in the lower perch the spring can contact the strut and cause clunking. What a frustratingly low tolerance lol

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I have a question about the TT spring pad / stock pad comparison isn't this going to add height back on to the rear of your car due to the increase of thickness?

Thanks

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I have a question about the TT spring pad / stock pad comparison isn't this going to add height back on to the rear of your car due to the increase of thickness?

Thanks

Yes, that’s the idea. To counter the negative rake that some cars have post spring install.

Depends on the springs and the model of car (PP and DSG more weight on front) as to whether or not u will see neg rake

Last edited:

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Yes, that’s the idea. To counter the negative rake that some cars have post spring install.

Depends on the springs and the model of car (PP and DSG more weight on front) as to whether or not u will see neg rake

aaah that makes sense.. but you won't really know you have a negative rake issue until your springs settle? so you should install everything with the stock one then if you have an issue go with the TT spring pad?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
aaah that makes sense.. but you won't really know you have a negative rake issue until your springs settle? so you should install everything with the stock one then if you have an issue go with the TT spring pad?

Well, for me I expected that I wouldn’t need thicker rear spring pads because of my research on here...4 door, DSG, and PP. DG springs. And I was right.

With a little research, you should be able to easily determine if they’re needed or not.

What’s the config of your car?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
The consensus is that Manual cars are ones that show more reverse rake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Well, for me I expected that I wouldn’t need thicker rear spring pads because of my research on here...4 door, DSG, and PP. DG springs. And I was right.

With a little research, you should be able to easily determine if they’re needed or not.

What’s the config of your car?

2016 GTI S 2 door Manual 63,000 miles

I just purchased

Koni Yellows
Eibach European Linear springs
Eibach Rear Sway bar. 25mm

So I've been researching weather or not I want to just go camber plates and what parts I should replace... Obviously the Front bearings and the upper rear shock mounts. I'll probably go with the ECS bolt kit. I was looking at the 034 camber plates. Everything is on FCPEuro.

034 shock mount

034 camber plate

034 strut bearing

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
2016 GTI S 2 door Manual 63,000 miles

I just purchased

Koni Yellows
Eibach European Linear springs
Eibach Rear Sway bar. 25mm

So I've been researching weather or not I want to just go camber plates and what parts I should replace...

You tracking it? Or trying to run 255/265 width wheels? Otherwise no camber plates. Going with the minimal recommended parts in the spring install guide myself to install the same Koni's and springs.