GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

Hammersticks

Go Kart Champion
Ride
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Also, in the first post the tightening spec for the front pinch bolt is incorrect. I believe it should be 70Nm (52 lb/ft) + 180° additional turn instead of 90°.
Keep in mind that info is a few years old now. I think I got it off of the DAP video. That said, just getting to 90 takes a fair amount of muscle, even using a 1/2” breaker bar. I’d honestly be worried about snapping the bolt if I went to 180. ..but that’s what it says in the repair manual?

shortyb

Ready to race!
Ride
The crazy train
Keep in mind that info is a few years old now. I think I got it off of the DAP video. That said, just getting to 90 takes a fair amount of muscle, even using a 1/2” breaker bar. I’d honestly be worried about snapping the bolt if I went to 180. ..but that’s what it says in the repair manual?
Yep. And I know what you mean about getting it that tight. Almost have an aneurysm everytime I do an install. Never snapped any bolts though, they are quite beefy.

Hammersticks

Go Kart Champion
Ride
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Honestly only the passenger side (first side I did) was a PITA. Once I got the technique figured out, the other side was pretty easy.
Agreed. Just saying overall, you're looking at hours worth of work for what's a pretty straight forward job on some other cars. The 2x4 method helps considerably.