GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I have a 2016 GTI, think I'm good with the new revised strut bearing (5Q0-412-249-F) vs the older, E version?

$7/each for the new one vs $23/each for the older version.

I'd think you'd be fine... but where are you finding them for $7!? I just replaced mine during a spring install and the dealer had them listed for $50/ea, but gave them to me for $30/ea.

am215

Ready to race!
I'd think you'd be fine... but where are you finding them for $7!? I just replaced mine during a spring install and the dealer had them listed for $50/ea, but gave them to me for $30/ea.

vwpartsvortex, might be a special promotion or something so I may get a couple of spares for if I decide to revert back to stock down the line.

Total1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI Autobahn 6MT
I'm getting ready to install the coilover this weekend and not sure which bearings to buy. FCP Euro has both (5Q0412249F and 5Q412249E). The F version is significantly more expensive than the E version. I saw the original post indicated that they replaced the F version replaced the E version recently but FCP Euro indicated the F version doesn't fit my car (2015 Autobahn GTI).

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-strut-mount-bearing-genuine-vw-audi-5q0412249f-------$7.98

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-strut-mount-bearing-genuine-vw-audi-5q0412249e--------$28

Total1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI Autobahn 6MT
I have a 2016 GTI, think I'm good with the new revised strut bearing (5Q0-412-249-F) vs the older, E version?

$7/each for the new one vs $23/each for the older version.

Oops didn't see your post before I posted mine. Did you install it yet? How was the F version?

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
vwpartsvortex, might be a special promotion or something so I may get a couple of spares for if I decide to revert back to stock down the line.

Looks like a good resource! Thanks for the link.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Looks like the F is definitely cheaper than the E for some reason. Even at ECS the F is only $11.05. They also don't show it fitting my car, but it's what came on it from the factory.

Total1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI Autobahn 6MT
Looks like the F is definitely cheaper than the E for some reason. Even at ECS the F is only $11.05. They also don't show it fitting my car, but it's what came on it from the factory.

I took a chance and bought the F version. Will install it in 2 weeks when all the parts arrive. Hopefully it will fit.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I wonder if the F version is some how heavier duty? On a dealer parts site it lists as fitting the Atlas & new Tiguan. The E version is also still current.

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R

GeoS VW

Passed Driver's Ed
Hard to figure out the difference between the E and F versions. Many of the online pics show the E version for the F listing.

However, I was able to find some where the pn was visible. The E has voids on the underside while the F is solid. Seems like the internal construction is different comparing the 1st two pics. No idea if the rubber is of a different hardness, etc.

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Wonder why they filled the voids and what that accomplishes?

I have the E versions to go in when my Bilsteins & Eibachs get installed in a couple weeks. If the F version is somehow better or more durable, could be worth switching before the install...

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
So called the dealer and gave them my VIN and according to their system the "E" version is the correct bearing for my 2018 GTI.

Total1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI Autobahn 6MT
Yea the dealer said the same thing about my 2015 gti. I bought the "F" version anyway to try. Will have it install this Saturday.

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
FYI - I just put the F version on my 2018 GTI when installing ST coilovers this past weekend. The F version fit just fine and seem to be functioning just fine as well. Coilovers went in smoothly and are making zero knocking or squeaking noises.