GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SportWagen is BestWagen. Change my mind!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I honestly think the MK7/7.5 wagon is the best looking VW produced in over a decade. The proportions and lines are so clean. The hatchbacks look weird to me because the C pillar is so damn massive. I love the two doors but the 4 door hatchbacks make no sense to me as there's no room in the trunk for anything. My brother has an R and every time I see his trunk I always wonder where the rest of it went.If the GSW/Alltrack came with the 2.0L I think they would have done a lot better here. Even so, the GSW/Alltrack is one of the most common wagons I see.

agree on all accounts. Also a bummer dieselgate happened, I would’ve snagged a diesel Alltrack in second. They announced the model would be coming to NA with the 2.0TDI from the GTD when they announced the Alltrack in 2014. Then dieselgate happened. I love my girlfriend’s 2014 TDI JSW. I would’ve loved to have a manual + DSG TDI wagon stable

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I blame VW for their poor wagon sales. If they would have addressed the leaking pano issue, every VW GSW/Alltrack wouldn't have been full of leaking roof posts.

Ohidub_99.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack
I think the discontinuance of the Sportwagen reflects the decline of wagons in the US in general. With such few wagon buyers, it makes more business sense for VW to provide better value to customers by streamlining around the more popular GTI and small SUVs to compete against other makes. It's not a knock on the Sportwagen, it's just a reflection of US buyer tastes.

As for me, I just purchased a '17 MK7 GTI after owning an '08 GTI for 13 years. This time around, I was looking at MK7 GTIs and considered going up in size to a Sportwagen (only requirement was a manual transmission for either car). I like the way the Sportwagens look and appreciate the utility, but the manual transmission models are only available on lower-trim specs. I get that VW needs to streamline their offerings around what actually sells, but I couldn't justify paying similar money (used vs. used) for a Sportwagen with less interior features, a slower engine, and worse handling, just to gain a longer hatch that I might take advantage of every month or two.

I will say, a major motivator in my purchase of my Alltrack was the fact that it would probably be the last time ( but hopefully not) in a very long time where VW would offer an all wheel drive, turbo station wagon available with 3-pedals across the entire trim lineup...

I specifically went with an s-model, because the technology available in the upper trims wasn’t the deal breaker for me.... the fact that they decided to only offer the upper trim lines with the leak-prone pano-roof was.... had I been able to get the upper trims with no pano, I would have....most things I would have wanted from the upper trims (better lighting, larger wheels) are easily attainable ....

I could have got a GTI, I’ve had golfs and gti’s in the past... but I have always had a thing for wagons, I had a 1985 Quantum Syncro wagon back in college and the body style has stuck with me...

My wife traded in her new beetle for a new Tiguan, because she wanted the visibility and “safety” feel-goods of a cuv....personally I hate everything about the thing....but I’m not the one who has to drive it all the time...but she loves it.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I feel there should have been more advertisement on the 4motion availability. At first I didn't know the Alltrack was 4motion, let alone there were 4motion GSWs through basic advertising channels. A lot of the wagon crowd look at Volvo and Subaru due to available AWD.

Ohidub_99.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack
I feel there should have been more advertisement on the 4motion availability. At first I didn't know the Alltrack was 4motion, let alone there were 4motion GSWs through basic advertising channels. A lot of the wagon crowd look at Volvo and Subaru due to available AWD.
There was literally ZERO advertising when it came to the Alltrack.... most people don’t even know it exists.... it’s sad..

when we were buying my wife’s Tiguan a few years ago, the dealer had some brand new 17’s tucked away in the lot, and a GFG one caught my eye.... I left my wife with the sales guy to walk all the way across the lot to look at one, it had the marrakesh interior...I knew I had to own one.... now I do

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I blame VW for their poor wagon sales. If they would have addressed the leaking pano issue, every VW GSW/Alltrack wouldn't have been full of leaking roof posts.

thar would make sense if the average buyer went on golfmk7/vwvortex before buying a car. They don’t. VW didn’t sell wagons bc Americans don’t like wagons, AND because Americans don’t like VWs lol

also they didn’t advertise it at all. If they had an aggressive marketing strategy for it they could’ve Aimed straight at Subaru and with the 6 year 72K B2B at the time they could’ve won them over on the reliability fears.

glad I got my 19 GFG for 11K off MSRP, 0% for 6 years and 6 months no payments :)

Last edited:

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I also think the wagons look better than the hatches - whenever I see a Sportwagen or Alltrack on the road, I find myself staring. If I could have bought a GTI Variant, I would have, but ultimately the GTI mechanicals won over the wagon body - we've got a minivan for family and hauling duties, so it's not like I need the extra space in my car. But if anything ever happens to my hatch, you can bet I'll be trying to buy a GFG/Marrekesh Alltrack with a 6-speed...

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
I previously owned a mk6 TDI golf but I always wanted the mk6 sportwagen because the practicality more closely fit my lifestyle and growing famly (2 kids). When dieselgate happened I knew I had to take the opportunity to purchase the updated mk7 wagon and I put my order in for a brand new Alltrack S of course with Marrakesh interior (that's what sold me to the Alltrack vs the Sportwagen). I had no intentions of modding it much but here I am - Apr Is38 tuned full bolt on and I couldn't be happier with my wagon. Sure it's not the fastest mk7, but it will haul ass from a dig and punches above it's class in terms of performance, interior quality, and practicality. Can't really beat that from a $26k wagon plus a few grand in mods to make it 350hp sleeper. It's also fairly unique to see an Alltrack modded, we have several in my area and they are almost always driven by some old lady which makes my build even more hilarious since no one expects to see a modded Alltrack lol... Best part is that other people love the car, I get compliments all the time about my wagon and flashes and waves even from other cars that are not VW, just nice to have something different than the sea of black, silver, gray, and white boring suv's I see everyday.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
Wagons are fucking ugly, absolutely horrendous... HEINOUS

I don't understand how someone can look at a wagon and like it, it's terrible. Growing up my parent's had a station wagon and I was so embarrassed by it.

Even my neighbor who bought a RS6 Avant (at $20,000 above MSRP) told me it's fucking ugly when I first talked to him about it... So then why did he buy it? Fuck you money/exclusivity/showing off, literally what he told me (yes, he is an arrogant prick).
Oh come on, they're not that bad. This is my MT sportwagen that I just picked up two weeks ago and I absolutely love it.
IMG_6023.JPG

IMG_6022.JPG

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I previously owned a mk6 TDI golf but I always wanted the mk6 sportwagen because the practicality more closely fit my lifestyle and growing famly (2 kids). When dieselgate happened I knew I had to take the opportunity to purchase the updated mk7 wagon and I put my order in for a brand new Alltrack S of course with Marrakesh interior (that's what sold me to the Alltrack vs the Sportwagen). I had no intentions of modding it much but here I am - Apr Is38 tuned full bolt on and I couldn't be happier with my wagon. Sure it's not the fastest mk7, but it will haul ass from a dig and punches above it's class in terms of performance, interior quality, and practicality. Can't really beat that from a $26k wagon plus a few grand in mods to make it 350hp sleeper. It's also fairly unique to see an Alltrack modded, we have several in my area and they are almost always driven by some old lady which makes my build even more hilarious since no one expects to see a modded Alltrack lol... Best part is that other people love the car, I get compliments all the time about my wagon and flashes and waves even from other cars that are not VW, just nice to have something different than the sea of black, silver, gray, and white boring suv's I see everyday.

26K? Was that the MSRP on yours, or what you paid after negotiations? My MSRP was 35.5 and I paid 25.5. I also never seen any Alltracks with any mods around Philly. I DO, however, get tonsssss of compliments. Toll ladies, random people in their car next to me at lights, friends, coworkers. I’ve gotten more compliments on my Alltrack in the 11 months I’ve owned it than my 3 GTIs combined from 2013-2020

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Oh come on, they're not that bad. This is my MT sportwagen that I just picked up two weeks ago and I absolutely love it.
View attachment 205046
View attachment 205047

Congrats on the car! But uh, that thing is ugly... and most of America agrees (you're in good company on this forum though), sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

This is as close as you'll see me get to a wagon. FUCKING gorgeous.

1614792976316.png

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
26K? Was that the MSRP on yours, or what you paid after negotiations? My MSRP was 35.5 and I paid 25.5. I also never seen any Alltracks with any mods around Philly. I DO, however, get tonsssss of compliments. Toll ladies, random people in their car next to me at lights, friends, coworkers. I’ve gotten more compliments on my Alltrack in the 11 months I’ve owned it than my 3 GTIs combined from 2013-2020

I believe msrp for the S was $27.5 back in 2016. There wasn't much negotiation room at the time since it was a new model but I was able to get $1k off at least. Saw others over time as they sat on lots get much more off of msrp but I have no ragrets.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
Congrats on the car! But uh, that thing is ugly... and most of America agrees (you're in good company on this forum though), sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

This is as close as you'll see me get to a wagon. FUCKING gorgeous.

View attachment 205053
No need to be sorry, I didn't buy it to impress other people.

As far as the RS7 goes, it's barely got a trunk.
Where do you put the groceries?