GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SportWagen is BestWagen. Change my mind!

Timeisflat

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 VW GSW Manual
After a month with my GSW, I’m absolutely baffled why anyone would want 2 door or 4 door Golf hatch, the Taos or the Jetta sedan instead. The practicality VW managed to squeeze out of a vehicle this size is insane. More cargo volume than a 2016 Chevy Equinox with the seats down, (only 1 cubic foot less with the seats up) yet its a full 10 inches shorter than an Accord!

And it does all this while looking cool. I argue the SportWagen has better proportions than a regular Golf hatch.
AE1FC254-47F5-49F6-9584-17F3AF7AA743.jpeg

28DF4177-0B41-4715-912D-B1FEAD649330.jpeg
Yet VW killed the SportWagen and the Alltrack and replaced them with.... *cringes* crossovers. The Taos crossover that replaced the SportWagen has less cargo volume (28.1ft3 vs 30.4)

VW shouldn’t cancel the wagons, VW should only sell wagons!
CHANGE MY MIND!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
It's a matter of consumer taste. Something about station wagons from the 60s/70s/80s has stuck in the minds of the average new-car buying age consumer, as something for "mom's" or "grannies" or idk what. My Mom, 62 at the time, wouldn't even CONSIDER an Alltrack when she was looking for a replacement for her 8 year old CC because she didn't wanna look cheesy. I was like Mom... I'm 24. I would kill for one of those cars!!!

They love it when I take them for a ride in mine. I think most people who feel the way I described above COULD be convinced on a wagon if they simply gave it a chance, but they'd need someone like us to force their hand. As it stands, everyone wants a crossover.

My Mom got an RDX.

Nickmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 TDI SEL M/T
"I’m absolutely baffled why anyone would want 2 door or 4 door Golf hatch"

It's been around 47 years, maybe its a good platform idk.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
And I definitely agree that the proportions are better. the hatch looks like the butt got cut off the car. It just looks like it SHOULD come as a wagon, as though it was originally designed as a wagon, and the hatch was the secondary consideration.

Of course, opinion. I have an Alltrack too, for context.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

It's a great platform. Trends are just changing. It's all about SUV 's now.

Timeisflat

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 VW GSW Manual
It's a matter of consumer taste. Something about station wagons from the 60s/70s/80s has stuck in the minds of the average new-car buying age consumer, as something for "mom's" or "grannies" or idk what. My Mom, 62 at the time, wouldn't even CONSIDER an Alltrack when she was looking for a replacement for her 8 year old CC because she didn't wanna look cheesy. I was like Mom... I'm 24. I would kill for one of those cars!!!

My Mom got an RDX.
I just can’t understand why people think wagons are grandma cars but crossovers are cool.

Timeisflat

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 VW GSW Manual

It is a good platform, but the wagon is better. I see no downside to a bit of extra length. Especially here in the US where parking spaces are designed to accommodate oil tankers.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Personally. I’d make a grill cheese sandwich with Mayo on the exterior for a bugeye wagon. I love wagons. Super practical!

Timeisflat

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 VW GSW Manual
If you look back to summer 2019, crossovers and SUV are definitely the growing product lines, but SportWagen wasn’t doing bad, actually better than some other Golf models. Don’t know why VW would give up those customers.
The guy who sold me my GSW wanted a new one but VW doesn’t sell any, so he bought a Buick TourX instead. Now that’s going out of production. Guess he’ll have to buy a Subaru or a Volvo next time.
2985C03F-CEB7-45A5-AFCB-5BBEF8944866.jpeg
D0C4EE50-D47E-4C51-AA4A-0E7D596C5D2F.jpeg

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I just can’t understand why people think wagons are grandma cars but crossovers are cool.

Crossovers are gross. They aren’t really good at anything except for being FUGLY. With wagons on the other hand you get more utility while retaining sporty driving characteristics. WIN! The only real pro to the SUV IMO is a towing capacity. Thats the only reason I would ever consider one. If my GTI could tow 5,000lbs I don’t think I would ever need another car :ROFLMAO:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Crossovers are gross. They aren’t really good at anything except for being FUGLY. With wagons on the other hand you get more utility while retaining sporty driving characteristics. WIN! The only real pro to the SUV IMO is a towing capacity. Thats the only reason I would ever consider one. If my GTI could tow 5,000lbs I don’t think I would ever need another car :ROFLMAO:
I gotta tell u. The best vehicle during an apocalyptic event will always be a wagon.

removing it from the line up was a huge mistake.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you look back to summer 2019, crossovers and SUV are definitely the growing product lines, but SportWagen wasn’t doing bad, actually better than some other Golf models. Don’t know why VW would give up those customers.
The guy who sold me my GSW wanted a new one but VW doesn’t sell any, so he bought a Buick TourX instead. Now that’s going out of production. Guess he’ll have to buy a Subaru or a Volvo next time.
View attachment 204850View attachment 204851
I stopped at my VW dealer today to get a part and while I was waiting I noticed that they didn't have any Golfs or even Jetta's and asked him about the people asking for a a Golf or SportWagen and he said no one does anymore. It's only common sense that if there was the demand for those cars VW would still be making them.