GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sports vs Drive Modes

alexd

Hey guys,

Anyone knows what is the real difference between D and S modes?

I know the S mode keeps the revs higher than in D mode. However, if i use the paddle shifters, do i lose anything in comparison to the S mode?

thanks

Internexus

Ready to race!
Drive mode is for your everyday driving and is designed for comfort, smooth shifting and fuel mileage sport mode keeps the rpm's in the power band where you will have immediate boost, it will also use the gears to slow you down as well and shifts between gears quicker causing a more harsh up shift. It's basically a program designed to allow you to go to the track and let the transmission deal with performance shifting while you focus more on the road. As your skills improve you may feel better controlling the shifting yourself with the paddles and will be able to play with different shift points and such.

If I missed anything I'm sure someone will kindly fill in the gaps, hope that helps.

alexd

this is what i suspected. However, i still want to know the following:

1. do the soundacktor only work in S mode?
2. If i activate S mode through the DSG stick and then activate manual mode by moving the DSG stick right, am I in "sport manual" mode or just manual mode?
I am trying to figure out if you can benefit from the features the S mode offers while being in Manual mode.

Hope someone has an answer

Thanks

Internexus

Ready to race!
I do not know the answer for the soundaktor the effects of manual mode are whatever you make of them but do include the harsher shifting, if you drive like a grandma up shifting every chance you get then you would be similar to drive mode, on the other end aggressively shifting would be comparable to sport.

exiscute

Passed Driver's Ed
There is a point in this question. I understand that "faster" shifting means the time spent between gears? So if you were in "sports manual" mode a manual shift should be quicker... I see where the question is and I would love to know myself.

crzyskimer93

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Anyone knows what is the real difference between D and S modes?

I know the S mode keeps the revs higher than in D mode. However, if i use the paddle shifters, do i lose anything in comparison to the S mode?

thanks

If your in drive mode take a corner, then take that same corner but in sport mode there's a difference in the steering I know that, guy showed me when we test drove the car (not mine, I had to get my shipped to the dealer) so we took the corner (recommended 15mph) around 40-45 id say and u feel as if the steering is stiffer and stronger in sport mode I noticed, in manual mode if u go to settings your able to adjust the "engine" and other things as well the setting in manual will let you change them to (for example) engine - standard /sport mode or steering - standard sport mode run different combinations

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
If your in drive mode take a corner, then take that same corner but in sport mode there's a difference in the steering I know that, guy showed me when we test drove the car (not mine, I had to get my shipped to the dealer) so we took the corner (recommended 15mph) around 40-45 id say and u feel as if the steering is stiffer and stronger in sport mode I noticed, in manual mode if u go to settings your able to adjust the "engine" and other things as well the setting in manual will let you change them to (for example) engine - standard /sport mode or steering - standard sport mode run different combinations

We don't get the "modes" in the middle east unfortunately

alexd

So to recap:

1. If I move from D to M, I am in D mode but get to lock the gears to my convenience.
2. If I move from S to M, I am no longer in S mode but go back to D in M mode similar to the bullet point 1.

Based on this, when you're in M mode, you don't get any of the benefits of S mode except if you have the options to change it like the one found in the US and EU models.

That kind of sucks..

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
So to recap:

1. If I move from D to M, I am in D mode but get to lock the gears to my convenience.
2. If I move from S to M, I am no longer in S mode but go back to D in M mode similar to the bullet point 1.

Based on this, when you're in M mode, you don't get any of the benefits of S mode except if you have the options to change it like the one found in the US and EU models.

That kind of sucks..

Pretty much yeah! Yay Middle East eh...

The mode button in the EU models seems to be linked with DCC while the US mode button is literally like audi drive select and lets you customize throttle and steering response in different modes. That's what I have understood so far from the forum.

Last edited:

crzyskimer93

Ready to race!
This is what I was referring to.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410974006.438505.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410974013.454336.jpg

DaveGTI1

Hi all.

Just purchased a GTI here in Abu Dhabi. Love the car, but really disappointed that the "mode select" button or settings are not available. According to the dealer, that option is only standard on the Golf R over here.

I asked if they would be able to perform an aftermarket "mode select" upgrade to the car, i.e adding the button and the necessary software / firmware upgrade, but they said it is not possible.

Surely it's just an update to the software / firmware in the ECU? Or are there any other mechanical updates linked to this?

Would like to know if anything has any info on this.

Nyanga

Ready to race!
You may not get the mode settings in the ME, but you get cheap petrol!

Talking of fuel, when in Sport Mode the GTi really gobbles up the gas. But the surge in power is awesome. And overtaking is a breeze.

I still have a low mileage (1,400 miles) and don't thrash the car. So still a tiny bit disappointed with the m.p.g. Then again, these have all been shortish trips (max 15 miles) and 50% town driving. Need to do a long trip to really judge m.p.g.

BUT what a great car!!

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Hi all.

Just purchased a GTI here in Abu Dhabi. Love the car, but really disappointed that the "mode select" button or settings are not available. According to the dealer, that option is only standard on the Golf R over here.

I asked if they would be able to perform an aftermarket "mode select" upgrade to the car, i.e adding the button and the necessary software / firmware upgrade, but they said it is not possible.

Surely it's just an update to the software / firmware in the ECU? Or are there any other mechanical updates linked to this?

Would like to know if anything has any info on this.

Most options are software tweaks and a little button addition here and there...

I too wanted them to fit the folding mirrors or the whole mirror pack as I received my car in October 2013 when the folding mirrors weren't on the car and they said no saying they have to change a lot of things like control units and what not. I even said that I was willing to pay. Basically they weren't bothered.

Its annoying that my old mk6, middle option had folding, electric mirrors, with the reverse dip(plus camera) and the Mk7 "Full Option" did not. The mk7 base and middle don't have options like the MK6 did. Back then the only difference between middle and top was leather seats!

Either way they remove options to keep the price down. A fully loaded GTI will cost about AED 150K which is more than a base R so that would kind of explain it. Still, i'd rather have folding mirrors and maybe DCC instead of the redundant Heated seats (winter pack) and Auto Park. Both useless in this country honestly. I've never actually used the auto park feature to park, only to mess with people and to wow the friends who wanted me to show them. :p

Last edited: