GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sport vs Normal. What mode do you use & why?

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Having owned my GTD for almost a year. I think I have only ever switched to sport, a hand full of times. Well after a week of driving in sport, my findings are....

I drive the car harder & faster in sport.

Just curious what mode everyone else uses & why?

For me, normal for everyday. And Sport for a blast down fast b roads.

Rappy :cool:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I don't have a GTD but I just leave it in normal, very rarely I put it in sport or eco mode.

TerryReis

Passed Driver's Ed
Mostly leave it in normal but swap to sport or comfort when I feel it is necessary.
Also have a custom setup where everything is turned up except the DCC which I leave in normal, it gives better traction/handling on bumpy roads.

Cheers,

Terry

Stripey

Ready to race!
Eco as default but knock it in to sport at pretty much every roundabout, junction or traffic lights where you need to pull out quickly. Then knock it back to Eco when I don't need to be accelerating.

Very true though, it's so easy to drive harder and faster in sport mode without even realising!

pcr

Ready to race!
Find ECO just as fast as any other mode, but seems little to choose between them really, seems a bit pointless.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Sport a lot of the time - except long journeys - where the sound can get a bit loud especially when you have passengers.

I am not sure how much is in my mind and how much sport actually changes but i really enjoy the car in sport, it does feel a bit looser - a bit more responsive - a bit more fun. GTD does feel different in sport, seems to hunker down more in corners but as i said, perhaps that's just my perception.

James

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Are you all talking about the Sport driver profile or S (Sport) setting on the DSG box? I presume the latter but some posts are talking about 'knocking it in to sport on a roundabout' which implies the gear shift.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Mine is in individual mode (Steering-Sport, Engine-Normal, Lighting-Sport, ACC-Normal) most the time, not sure why they put eco on a GTI as who buys a GTI to be economical.:confused:

I use sport on the twisties now and again if I am in the mood but back to individual for town as sport holds the gears too long for town driving and it sounds like a plank driving.

HXP

Ready to race!
ECO - NORMAL - SPORT - CUSTOM

1.4 TSI 122 BHP Estate I found ECO dulled the performance - particularly 1st gear from rest.

Switched to NORMAL and found it better all round

Played with CUSTOM where you can modify the individual responses such as throttle - so that seems an ideal opportunity to tinker ....

most of the time in normal mode but on a recent long motorway journey set it to ECO.

Like everything - rather have the options than not have them - and if you go straight from ECO to SPORT you do notice a difference ...

snailmeat

Ready to race!
Sport with D in rush hour traffic.

Sport with paddles for fun.

Comfort when I'm ferrying the dog.

I've only ever used eco once and I don't think I've ever driven in normal come to think of it. The suspension and steering are civil enough in sport so I've never felt the need to be in any other mode.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Sport means 'Race' in my VII .:R. This mode I only use on tracks, but there always. Makes sense cause the car is sharper, sounds better and everything is stiffer.

'Normal' is the regular choice while all day driving. Smoother and more quite, comfortable for all day driving. The 'Eco' mode I only tried once or twice but from then never used it again. Car feels too sluggish for my taste.

Stripey

Ready to race!
Are you all talking about the Sport driver profile or S (Sport) setting on the DSG box? I presume the latter but some posts are talking about 'knocking it in to sport on a roundabout' which implies the gear shift.

That's how I use it, yes. I would never put it into full sport mode because I don't like the stiff steering, and the late gear changes would drive me nuts after a while. Having the ability to quickly change in and out of sport with the gear shift is ideal.

yas7862

Passed Driver's Ed
Normal mode for me and sport when I want a bit of oomph or when im showing off to my friends lol.

But usually justy keep it in normal when im driving, I do like sport as the car feels a lot more assured, steering is pretty stiff although a mth or so ago...I changed my steering to sport whilst in normal mode but found it too stiff for everyday driving etc.

AG-GT

Passed Driver's Ed
Eco as default but knock it in to sport at pretty much every roundabout, junction or traffic lights where you need to pull out quickly. Then knock it back to Eco when I don't need to be accelerating.

Very true though, it's so easy to drive harder and faster in sport mode without even realising!

This is exactly how I use sport mode as well - definitely gives you that extra kick when needed.

I predominantly use Eco mode myself, but I recently had the car full up (5 adults), the car seemed really sluggish, so I had to leave it in sport mode for the remainder of the journey.