GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sport mode continues to impress

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
I turned in my leased 6SPM GTI in April and decided it was time to get the DSG so I pulled the trigger on a 2019
GTI SE DSG. After putting a little over 5,000 miles on the car I am really impressed by the suspension, handling and
power of the car. Then the other day I discovered something I am sure many of you know that I was not aware of.
If you pull the shift lever towards you an S appears where the D once was and I assume the car is now in Sport mode
although the selection on the main display still shows Comfort. Maybe I am imagining things but the Sport mode engaged
by the shifter seems to be better than selecting on the main display. I mean it pulls like a beast. Am I imagining something here?
Moral of the story is the car is great and I look forward to many happy miles ahead.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Going into sport mode via the drive mode makes for the same experience with the transmission vs just putting the tranny in sport.

I find sport to be great and fun too

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
transmission modes and the user profile modes (selectable via button and headunit) are not the same, therefore you can have "D" transmission, coupled with individual, normal, sport (or race, if you're in an R) or "S" coupled with individual, normal, sport.
the user profile modes typically adjust steering weight, throttle response, damper valving (if DCC), headlight tracking (if OEM hid's) and soundacktor response.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
transmission modes and the user profile modes (selectable via button and headunit) are not the same, therefore you can have "D" transmission, coupled with individual, normal, sport (or race, if you're in an R) or "S" coupled with individual, normal, sport.
the user profile modes typically adjust steering weight, throttle response, damper valving (if DCC), headlight tracking (if OEM hid's) and soundacktor response.
But there’s no difference in the transmission when comparing “knocking it back into s mode” vs changing the whole mode into s mode no?

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I thought there was a difference between the 6 speed dsg and the 7 speed dsg after driving but I realized after I drove the 6speed dsg in sport mode and the 7speed dsg in normal. After having my GTI and switching it to sport mode, there is a pretty big difference between normal and sport. I actually prefer the 7sp DSG now

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I turned in my leased 6SPM GTI in April and decided it was time to get the DSG so I pulled the trigger on a 2019
GTI SE DSG. After putting a little over 5,000 miles on the car I am really impressed by the suspension, handling and
power of the car. Then the other day I discovered something I am sure many of you know that I was not aware of.
If you pull the shift lever towards you an S appears where the D once was and I assume the car is now in Sport mode
although the selection on the main display still shows Comfort. Maybe I am imagining things but the Sport mode engaged
by the shifter seems to be better than selecting on the main display. I mean it pulls like a beast. Am I imagining something here?
Moral of the story is the car is great and I look forward to many happy miles ahead.

the selection in the infotainment that says “comfort” is for the “Driver Profile Selection,” which has an interconnected relationship with S/D modes on the DSG, but is also independent.

since you’re in Comfort, your steering wheel’s electronic assistance is increased (aka the wheel probably feels like a fisher price toy no matter how fast you’re going, no resistance to turning). Additionally, your soundaktor’s volume is set to 50% instead of 100, and the throttle response is reduced. It also affects the AFS on the headlights but that is pretty imperceptible. If you switch to, say, Sport mode, it will automatically switch the transmission’s mode from D to S. You can then put the transmission back in D, but now your driver profile selection has your steering wheel less power-assisted (feels more solid, requires more effort to turn wheel), throttle response improved, and Soundaktor volume at 100%. You will notice the difference in engine note pretty immediately. In fact - I suggest switching back and forth between comfort and sport to hear and feel the differences. You can also go to Individual mode which allows you to set whatever combination you’d prefer (if you like the reduced steering effort from comfort, you can run that whole also getting the improved throttle response. You can also turn the engine sound down if you don’t like it, or it vibrates your windshield.)

last - if your car has Fender audio, then you have an SE with Experience Package. This means you also have DCC - which is yet another variable in Driver Profile Selection. Comfort sets your dampers to the softest setting, for comfort. Normal is medium, and sport is stiffest for performance.

have Fun!!!!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I thought there was a difference between the 6 speed dsg and the 7 speed dsg after driving but I realized after I drove the 6speed dsg in sport mode and the 7speed dsg in normal. After having my GTI and switching it to sport mode, there is a pretty big difference between normal and sport. I actually prefer the 7sp DSG now
I once read a thing here. The person said the 6 speed dsg feels better in normal mode than the 7 speed. While the 7 speed feels better in s mode vs the 6 speed.

Dunno if there’s any truth to that. I haven’t driven the 6 speed dsg

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I once read a thing here. The person said the 6 speed dsg feels better in normal mode than the 7 speed. While the 7 speed feels better in s mode vs the 6 speed.

Dunno if there’s any truth to that. I haven’t driven the 6 speed dsg

it’s true to the extent that S mode on the 7-speeds is way more useable than S mode on the 6-speeds. D is still better on the 7-speed, it’s just less responsive. It revs out more than D mode on the 6-speed for the same throttle input, it’s just generally less responsive. You can tell it does some thinking after you make throttle input changes before really committing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
it’s true to the extent that S mode on the 7-speeds is way more useable than S mode on the 6-speeds. D is still better on the 7-speed, it’s just less responsive. It revs out more than D mode on the 6-speed for the same throttle input, it’s just generally less responsive. You can tell it does some thinking after you make throttle input changes before really committing.

If you can tell it's doing some thinking isn't that called lag?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Gotcha

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
the selection in the infotainment that says “comfort” is for the “Driver Profile Selection,” which has an interconnected relationship with S/D modes on the DSG, but is also independent.

since you’re in Comfort, your steering wheel’s electronic assistance is increased (aka the wheel probably feels like a fisher price toy no matter how fast you’re going, no resistance to turning). Additionally, your soundaktor’s volume is set to 50% instead of 100, and the throttle response is reduced. It also affects the AFS on the headlights but that is pretty imperceptible. If you switch to, say, Sport mode, it will automatically switch the transmission’s mode from D to S. You can then put the transmission back in D, but now your driver profile selection has your steering wheel less power-assisted (feels more solid, requires more effort to turn wheel), throttle response improved, and Soundaktor volume at 100%. You will notice the difference in engine note pretty immediately. In fact - I suggest switching back and forth between comfort and sport to hear and feel the differences. You can also go to Individual mode which allows you to set whatever combination you’d prefer (if you like the reduced steering effort from comfort, you can run that whole also getting the improved throttle response. You can also turn the engine sound down if you don’t like it, or it vibrates your windshield.)

last - if your car has Fender audio, then you have an SE with Experience Package. This means you also have DCC - which is yet another variable in Driver Profile Selection. Comfort sets your dampers to the softest setting, for comfort. Normal is medium, and sport is stiffest for performance.

have Fun!!!!
Thanks for the insight. I think I like comfort and power since I live in L.A. where most of the roads are bumpy. I guess that's what I am liking about engaging just sport with the shifter.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Thanks for the insight. I think I like comfort and power since I live in L.A. where most of the roads are bumpy. I guess that's what I am liking about engaging just sport with the shifter.

just answer me this - do you have Fender audio? If so, the speaker grilles on your A-Pillars will have aluminum trim and have the Fender trademark. If so then yes you also have DCC.