GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spoiler/Lip material - do you care?

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
So I want to get something for the trunk spoiler (extension or something more possibly) to make the rear more aggressive-looking, especially from the side. But I was wondering what y'all thought about material for things like spoilers, or lips (front, side, rear) - eventually I'll probably get to these. I was thinking about going the ol' ebay/china route on these exterior cosmetics as I feel like they're not THAT heavy and probably not enough to affect performance? And with the front/side/rear lips, they're close to the ground so if they get chipped, etc beyond repair - cheaper = easier to replace.

Thoughts?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Aerofabb has been around and uses quality materials. I wouldn’t second guess what they choose. Seems like people are trying to create knockoffs.

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
yeah i saw, the version two looks cool but it's sold out. i'm assuming the tiny weight difference in aluminum doesn't make much of a difference?

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
My full water bottle weighs more than the spoiler, I never even considered it tbh. For the record I used the 3m tape and it's been great for 4k miles, including the Tail Of The Dragon.

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
yeah i saw, the version two looks cool but it's sold out. i'm assuming the tiny weight difference in aluminum doesn't make much of a difference?
The Type 2 is very popular. More are in production and currently at powder coat. Should have more ready to ship next weekend! :)

Before you hit up eBay, check out the stuff on RennWagen. Made by forum member @Chet Ubetcha.
Love my RennWagen V1, and lots of strangers also compliment it. @Chet Ubetcha
Thanks for the love and support! 😀

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I wouldn't recommend anything made of cardboard. It doesn't hold up in the rain, even if you plastidip it.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Aerofabb has been around and uses quality materials. I wouldn’t second guess what they choose. Seems like people are trying to create knockoffs.
Enjoy my Aerofabb extension.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I had the Maxton and now the Aerofabb front lip spoilers. The Maxton is made of plastic and the Aerofabb seems like its made of some kind of nylon feeling composite. The AF gives me a bit more ground clearance and is probably more durable than the Maxton. I do think the Maxton looks better though. It actually has contours and flows with the lower part of the bumper vs the AF being completely flat. I think the reason why Maxton went with plastic is that it can be molded into different shapes. I'm not sure if the material AF uses can be molded...just a guess though.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti