GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spoiler install

Tone1

Ready to race!
So for those of you that have installed rear spoilers, what have you used to affix it? I have an Oettinger that came with double sided 3M tape, but I'm considering using something like windshield adhesive. However, I'd like this to be a reversible mod, and using windshield adhesive may preclude that.

TL;DR: anyone had any catastrophic failures using 3M tape to attach a rear spoiler?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
VW, BMW, Mercedes and many more have used 3M products for fitting spoilers. If done correctly it will not fail but the temperature needs to be right and it needs to be left for the adhesive to cure over 24hours.

ACE2

Ready to race!
You'll be fine with 3m tape trust me. I've used that on carbon fiber parts for other cars I had and that stuff will stick like it was glued on the car! (With no issues later when removing, just going to have to use fishing line and gloves though). It's scary at first when using it as your doubtful but after it cured for the first day on you'll see it does budge at all. Just prep the area good, cleaning off all grease and dirt first and you'll be fine

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Tone1

Ready to race!
Great thanks for the feedback

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I requested my gti have no holes drilled for plates when I picked it up. I used that red heavy duty 3M double sided foam and stuck it straight on the rear license plate right to the back bumper for a few days until I had time to screw it on.

My goodness, that stuff is ridiculously strong! It was like cement after I pressed it in. I had trouble taking it off carefully when the time came to screw the plate on. Heat gun and fishing line helped loosen the corners but after a while heating while gently pulling did the trick. It was sketchy and there were times I was afraid I may damage the paint, but it came off with no residue or imperfections in the paint.

I would trust that stuff to hold almost anything on the car. Only problem with the Oettinger spoiler is that air goes underneath those two holes. Not sure if this can cause any issues with it lifting off (don't have a phd in physics) but I doubt it. The point of a spoiler is downforce, right? You should be fine.