GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Split Spoke/"Tuning fork" Wheels, Looking for more options

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Alright bear with me here and my thoughts. So I've been looking at a bunch of wheels and I guess I've kinda fallen into a specific style. There's some I've found that I like, but there's usually something that kinda throws it off. Like I've been seeing a decent number of wheels that are 8.5" wide with a 42 offset, and I think 45 is the absolute lowest I want to go. It sounds like 8.5"/45 is flush from what I've read. I'm probably not going to lower my car, so any poke at all is no good.

This is pretty much everything I've got saved in my favorites right now. I think the niche (top right) are my favorite design, but they're et 42, and I'm gonna be picky about that. I like the bremmers too but don't think I can rock bremmers, don't want to go too cheap. My dads been driving a c7 corvette around and it has wheels really similar to those too and I really like them. Plus there's some audi wheels that I like too.

Some of them aren't quite the same. Like the pretorias and the tsws (top left), but might be acceptable. The spokes on the FLGs (bottom right) are a bit too far apart for what I want, but they might be the top choice right now just because the price, the fitment, and the color I want are all there.

If I could find something like the niche, but from a company like rotiform, neuspeed, fifteen52, etc that'd be perfect. I definitely want 19s, 8" or 8.5", but I guess prefer 8.5", and et 45-50, silver finish, with a max budget at like $1200ish. Anyone got any wheels that come to mind after reading all this?

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I just picked up a set of OEM Audi S3 19x8 ET49 wheels, those in you last picture. The benefit with them is they're forged so light at 21lbs as far as 19" wheels go. I got them off my local Craigslist but they pop up on the forums now and then.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Is there an official name for them? I guess people just call them S3 forged wheels.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I like the style of the TSW's, but just looked up their weight and at 28lbs...that's no bueno

The OEM Audi's might be your best bet, which look very similar to the Niche wheel you like

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I like the style of the TSW's, but just looked up their weight and at 28lbs...that's no bueno

The OEM Audi's might be your best bet, which look very similar to the Niche wheel you like

Yea, the niche are 29lbs too lol...Always something wrong with the wheels that I like. I like the audis, especially because they're so light, but I have a feeling finding a used set won't be easy. Unless I can find something I like more I'll probably end up with the rotiforms. They're 26lbs, so still kind of on the heavier side but they aren't too bad, and a better fitment because of the offset, and if I wait for a rotiform buy 3 get 1 free sale I can get a set for under a grand.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
The Audi wheels can be hard to find, the ones I got just popped up on Craigslist when I wasn't really looking and I grabbed them. No way I'd spend $700/each from the parts counter for them new. The guy I bought them from had switched to neuspeed wheels wanting a different look.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Found another one I like but I think they weight about 28 lbs, so again on the heavy side :(

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Check out R8 Gen 1 split spokes.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Same problem as all the rest lol, 28 lbs!

Unpopular opinion. Shaving off 6 - 10 lbs per wheel makes fuck all difference in the grand scheme of things.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Unpopular opinion. Shaving off 6 - 10 lbs per wheel makes fuck all difference in the grand scheme of things.

The weight isn't the most important factor here for me, but it does matter. I've got time to look and I wanted to see if I could find some more wheels in the style I'm looking at with better specs. The niche vs the stance wheels is a perfect example. Almost identical looking wheels but one is cast and one is flow forged, that's a 29lb wheel vs a 24lb wheel. The stance wheels are only another $250 over the niche, and I'd rather have those as they're the lighter and stronger wheel.

I ran a 19lb wheel on my mk6 gti for about 4 years, so that's where I'm coming from. I don't need the lightest wheel, but I don't really like having the heaviest wheels either.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
I just picked up a set of OEM Audi S3 19x8 ET49 wheels, those in you last picture. The benefit with them is they're forged so light at 21lbs as far as 19" wheels go. I got them off my local Craigslist but they pop up on the forums now and then.

I saw those on Craigslist too. Super tempting. Post pics once you got them installed!