GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speeding ticket...help suggestions?

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Ugh, got a 54 in a 35 speeding ticket this morning going to work 2 blocks from my Apt. Anyone have any suggestions to try and fight it? I pulled out on to Wilshire Blvd (giant main street) and accelerated to keep pace with traffic and within 500 ft was snagged. I didn't do anything crazy. Got nailed by motorcylce officer hiding behind parked car. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Eligible for traffic school? LIDAR/Radar/Visual estimate?
Personally, im shocked you were able to get over 50 on Wilshire... especially if you're around pothole hell aka Miracle Mile.

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Eligible for traffic school? LIDAR/Radar/Visual estimate?
Personally, im shocked you were able to get over 50 on Wilshire... especially if you're around pothole hell aka Miracle Mile.
LOL. It was around Wilshire and Beverly Glen. It's a bit faster there. So much so, I had to speed up to not get run over and then got nabbed with the police bike waiting behind parked car. I am eligible for traffic school. The officer's hand writing is so bad, I can't see if it says Lidar or Radar.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Different state, but I just did a plea in abeyance, and paid the fine. As long as I don't get another ticket in 12 months, this one will drop off my record. But I haven't had a ticket in almost 20 years prior to this one.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
If you intend to fight with a lawyer, get one in the town you got the ticket. Likely they will know someone in the courtroom to help you out. It’s what I did he got me a decent deal and with defensive driving school it dropped to one point.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
LOL. It was around Wilshire and Beverly Glen. It's a bit faster there. So much so, I had to speed up to not get run over and then got nabbed with the police bike waiting behind parked car. I am eligible for traffic school. The officer's hand writing is so bad, I can't see if it says Lidar or Radar.

It's been a while since LAPD gave me a traffic ticket... it's been all front plate tickets. I've found most of the old tricks (radar/lidar calib, moving court, moving court dates, etc) no longer work with City tickets or CHP (i get nearly all my tix from Ponch).

Personally, I end up paying the fine and going to traffic school. Lots (if not all) ticket help websites advise against that, but I've had very poor luck fighting them.
The popular method now is to request a "trial by mail" (there's a legal term for it) and if that fails, request a retrial in front of the judge and either continue trying to fight and win or ask the judge for traffic school if you think you'll lose. Even if you are ineligible for traffic school, the judge can assign it to you (usual warnings: be polite, be prepared, be organized, be on-time) if you ask nicely and they've had morning coffee.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Just get a traffic lawyer. I’ve Fought 3-4 tickets on my own and the cop always showed up. Paid 100 bucks for a traffic ticket lawyer and my recent speeding ticket got thrown out. There’s an app that says it’s 95% chance or they’d refund you. I’d try that.

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I almost always go to court for my tickets. Do you have time? More than 50% of the time cop's been a no-show. If he does show, listen to his testimony and see if he leaves anything out or makes a mistake. If all else fails, do traffic school.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
i just got a 75 in a 55 on my way to work, 20 mile stretch lots of trees/orchards/hiding spots and everyone who works out there has to take this same damn 2 lane highway. there is no other way to work .. i have been traveling that road for 5 years 5 days a week , it was bound to happen,
352$ , first ticket since i was 18. < thats what pisses me off the most.

i also thought about fighthing it. but I was speeding, and tbh, the 75 on the ticket was 10 under what i was doing.. so ill take it.
the CHP love to hang out on that road,

best of luck with fighting it. I just laughed considering what i do on the weekends, and i end up getting a ticket for commuting to work.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Ugh, got a 54 in a 35 speeding ticket this morning going to work 2 blocks from my Apt. Anyone have any suggestions to try and fight it? I pulled out on to Wilshire Blvd (giant main street) and accelerated to keep pace with traffic and within 500 ft was snagged. I didn't do anything crazy. Got nailed by motorcylce officer hiding behind parked car. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks.
There's not much in the way of fighting it. Get a lawyer who deals with speeding tickets in your state, especially if you think you were not going 54. Everyone else going 54 is not a good argument in case you are wondering. That will never work. Otherwise - show up in court and if the officer is not there, you might get it dismissed. If he/she is there, then they might reduce the speed/fine/etc. if you plead guilty.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Don't get another one and let it drop off your record in a few years. Not sure how cali is but I've had 3 20+over speeding tickets in ohio and never had trouble