GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sparky's first track day

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Well at long last, after countless hours (and quite a few bucks) spent modifying my Golf, I felt it was time to finally see what it could do. With a bigger turbo, brakes, intercooler, sticky tires, and fully worked over suspension I made the decision to enroll in the beginners class with NCRC up at Thunder Hill raceway.

I was originally hoping to head up with two friends, once of which had recently bought a Veloser N performance to hit up the track with me. Unfortunately however, neither one could make it for the day, and so at 6 A.M last Saturday I piled into the Golf to head on out for the two hour drive to the track. Arriving about 15 minutes late (decided to stop for gas before heading in) I quickly found my spot and dropped by for the first of three classes on offer by the NCRC. On track instruction was to be conducted with two 20-minute guided sessions following an instructor car, the first of which focusing on following the basic racing line and the second being centered around passing. The pace was set between 45-60 MPH, allowing us to get a decent feel for things while we were out there. At no point where we receiving actual in-car instruction by the staff.

Now for the record this was my first time ever on a racetrack. I've never done autocross, no carting experience at all to speak of, and the closest thing to motorsport that I've done is about a baker’s dozen passes down the quarter mile. Still, my driving instructor did actually pull me aside after the first set of laps to compliment me on how well I followed the line, something I think the few hundred hours of time spent playing Forza had somewhat prepared me for. :p Things were coming around smoothly, that is up until the second round of on track instruction. We were practicing passing, when during an attempted overtake on the very last lap of the session the whole car jumped and I lost power.

For a moment I thought it was all over. In that horrible second I thought I had popped my turbo over 200 miles away from my garage on a faraway racetrack. I hadn't even made it to the proper "open" runs and my car was already limping back to the pits. Collecting myself, I noted that the CEL was still thankfully off, meaning the most likely culprit was a blown-off charge pipe. Thankfully I had made certain to come prepared, having brought a jack, stands, and all the sockets I might need to work on the car. Throwing it up on the stands confirmed my suspicions, as the boost-side charge pipe on the intercooler had blown clear off. But despite all my preparation, I hadn't thought to bring any hose clamps, and a quick once over of the engine bay meant that the one I had on there was most likely still left stranded out on the track itself.

Fortunately this is where the incredible staff of the NCRC came into play. I explained my plight to one of the staffers, who promptly got on the walkie-talkie and started asking around to see if anyone could find me one. Finally a mechanic who specializes in building spec-miatas from his garage on the track offered to help, and lo and behold the very last hose clamp he had on hand was the perfect size to get the charge pipe into place. I was back in the game, and with the hose clamp tightened down as hard as I could make it I was ready to see how this little TSI would handle itself on track without a leash. Questions remained of course, especially as ambient temps crested 98 degrees. Would the car keep itself cool, or just overheat instantly? What about the transmission? Nobody I could find had experience tracking with the 09g slushbox, and part of me was afraid it wouldn't be up to the task of track duty. Either way the call for the beginner’s group to collect at the pit lane rang out.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion

Lining up with the beginners, I was surrounded by a decently diverse set of cars. I spotted a first gen R8, a 7.5 Golf R, several 5.0 Mustangs, a Miata or two, a Focus RS, and even a 2nd gen TT to name a few. Finally, we were released onto the track, free to go as fast, and pass as many people as would let us by. The first thing I noticed rocketing into the wide sweeper of turn 1 was the body roll. Now my car is stiff, not to the point of jostling loose your filings stiff, but something that had remained virtually flat through every corner I had thrown it at on the road.

But not on the track, and not at these speeds. My first lap of the unrestricted run was mild, as with no predetermined leader to follow (the instructors were still on track, but you could pass them now), I was really just getting a feel for the line myself. But coming into my second lap, I finally felt confident enough to let her rip. Screaming into the first corner, a loooong sweeping turn coming right off the main straight at around 75 mph the car leaned into it, a sensation I hadn’t felt in quite some time.
Conscious of my open diff (and also electing to fully defeat traction control) I tried to remain principled when it came to utilizing the throttle when coming out of turns. Never did I give it enough to experience understeer, as I attempted to maintain a disciplined gradual application as I came out of the corners. And rocket out of the corners I did, as my little Golf clawed at the surface with a tenacity that was frankly uncomfortable at times. Indeed, especially with that turn 1 I eventually started hitting it at speeds where the entire car would start sliding, not just the back, as I came out of the turn.

I should say that I had set up my suspension to favor neutral handling over everything else. I could have made the rear livelier, but for more first time out on the track I wanted to be as planted, and as stable as I could make it be. Either way I was flying down the track, and I quickly became part of a group consisting of my initial instructor (in his built E36 M3), the Audi TT, a Miata, and one of the 5.0 Mustangs. By far we were much faster than virtually everyone else on track, the group of us charging hard and passing the slower drivers left and right.

The feeling of blowing by a Focus RS, followed by an R8 is something I think I’ll remember for quite some time.

When the session ended I met up with the instructor and the driver of the TT. I never did record my personal lap time, but according to the instructor the fastest he clocked himself going around the track during this session was around ~2:30, a run that I had been glued to his tail for virtually the entire time. Still, there obviously was room to improve. Thunder Hill has two notable blind crests which I never got a feel for, electing to slow the heck down each time I had to navigate them.

The second session went on much like the first, with my personal favorite moment happening when I hit the straight being sandwiched between an instructors Z06 and the red 5.0 Mustang from the prior run. Now I have no idea if the instructor was flat out, but I know the driver of the Mustang was racing his heart out just like me. And there I was, flat out in the middle, not gaining on anyone mind you, but not loosing any ground either. Keeping pace like that from a 1.8 is not to shabby if you ask me.

Either way that run would prove to be the last. Racing is exhausting, especially with nearly 100-degree ambient temps. With a two hour drive back home ahead of me, I decided to cut it there and head on back. But the whole time the Golf had done absolutely everything I asked of it. Intake temps hovered at around ~115, oil never got meaningfully above 160, and the transmission never missed a beat, firing off shift after shift without nary a hiccup (and with a cheeky exhaust fart each time to boot). It’s a shame then that motorsport season is coming around, because right now all I can think about is how much I want to go again.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Of course this thread wouldn't be complete without some gratuitous pictures, a couple of which I've cherry picked for being quite some fun.

(I'm fairly certain this was when i blew my charge pipe off lol)

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Excellent read, this sounds exactly like something I would love to do. Hopefully in time, just need to get my car right tbh. How much does a session like this cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Excellent read, this sounds exactly like something I would love to do. Hopefully in time, just need to get my car right tbh. How much does a session like this cost?

I paid $240 for the day, which got me an hour and a half of class instruction alongside five 20 minute track sessions. Once you move out of beginners the price dropped to about $180. Do keep in mind that pricing tends to varry somewhat between racing organizations.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I paid $240 for the day, which got me an hour and a half of class instruction alongside five 20 minute track sessions. Once you move out of beginners the price dropped to about $180. Do keep in mind that pricing tends to varry somewhat between racing organizations.

Ya for sure, not sure whats around me but I would probably do 1 beginners class, then normal maybe a few times a year. Very cool