GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spark plug torque wrench

Royalion

Ready to race!
Looking for suggestions for an affordable accurate torque wrench. Ideally 22nm to 30nm in the range.
Thanks

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wait, y'all torque your spark plugs to spec?

So nice and snug isn't good enough

Rollux

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 1.4TSi
Wait, y'all torque your spark plugs to spec?

So nice and snug isn't good enough
NGK has the angle torque for the different seat types on the box - conical seat is 1/8 turn after contact, washer type 2/3 turn. Both feel “nice and snug”, so that’s good enough for me, and the techs & engine builders I’ve worked with for 20 years 😂

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Whatever you buy, ensure it works on something less delicate than a spark plug before you start using it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yea, nothing wrong with using a torque wrench on plugs. I understand some people already have a feel for it and that's fine. But absolutely nothing wrong with getting it dead on right, every time.

JonnyTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Btw, on aluminium block tight 20 Nm torque.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1675889613175.png

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

You're always gonna get those guys that will say 20nm is plenty tight. Or they always just do it by feel. These same fuckers are obsessing about which brand gas they put in their tanks at what time of the year. Or which OTS tuner is better. Obessing over subjective shit with no known correct answer.

The spark plug torque spec is absolutely supposed to be 30 Nm / 22 ft/lbs. There should be no discussion/argument about that. You're either tightening it to 30 Nm / 22 ft/lbs, or you're doing it wrong. I'm not saying anything bad will happen if you don't tighten to 30 Nm, but let's not throw out incorrect or vague values and pass it off as truth.

Last edited: