GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spacers

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Isn't this the Australian thread? Spacers are illegal in Australia, they're detectable as they did not come with the car from factory.
How can a cop know that your wheel sits maybe 1/2 " farther out? He would have to know every car that exists. I wonder what the logic is for that law?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would like to know why spacers are illegal also in Australia. Are aftermarket wheels illegal also? You can get an aftermarket wheel with a different offset and the wheel would sit farther out.

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
I would like to know why spacers are illegal also in Australia. Are aftermarket wheels illegal also? You can get an aftermarket wheel with a different offset and the wheel would sit farther out.
Ooooh that’s a good point you brought up
Lets just say in OZ our road laws governing modified cars is a lot stricter than the US .
Say on a Golf you can only go 25.4mm/1 inch wider than the widest stock original wheel fitted to the car and you can only increase overall track by 25mm/ 1 inch .
If you lower your car , the lowest point of the car has to be 100mm / 4 inch or greater .

Maybe you guys should read some of the Australian Road rules on modified vehicles ,then you will realize how lucky your got it :unsure:(y)(y)(y).
Each state can be different
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/reg...hicle-modifications/vass-approval-certificate
Cheers

Last edited:

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
Why did you just quote our posts and not say anything?
Hit the wrong button (y),boomer mistake .
Lets just say in OZ our road laws governing modified cars is a lot stricter than the US .
Say on a Golf you can only go 25.4mm/1 inch wider than the widest stock original wheel fitted to the car and you can only increase overall track by 25mm/ 1 inch .
If you lower your car , the lowest point of the car has to be 100mm / 4 inch or greater .

Maybe you guys should read some of the Australian Road rules on modified vehicles ,then you will realize how lucky your got it :unsure:(y)(y)(y).
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/reg...hicle-modifications/vass-approval-certificate
Cheers

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

Cheers
That’s fucking stupid and lame

no offense to u.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hit the wrong button (y),boomer mistake .

Cheers
That's a shame they even regulate things like that.

nimbus_.

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf TSI
I have 18" wheels on my tsi and the original ones were 15". I think the law is you can only up by 3 inches. They're all confusing and some cops complement your car, others will get you into trouble

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
I have 18" wheels on my tsi and the original ones were 15". I think the law is you can only up by 3 inches. They're all confusing and some cops complement your car, others will get you into trouble
Increasing wheel diameter is based on overall tire diameter , I think its 15mm +/- .
eg :- 235/35r19 = 647.1 mm overall dia , 235/40r18 = 645.2 overall dia ,so you would be within 1.9mm .

Cheers

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
The size increase in your wheel depends on the largest factory size for your body shape, so you can easily put 18" or 19" wheels on any Mk7 Golf in Australia as that was available from factory. Width is one inch larger than what was the widest from factory.

I did something I never thought I'd do and installed spacers on my GTI to go with the lowering of the OEM wheels.

I read about it for a while and realised spacers get a bad rap for bad quality ones and people using incredibly big ones. Plus the fact that changing my wheel offset does the same geometric things as the relatively small spacers I have, which for driving around on the street will be fine, as they are high quality etc.

I went with 15mm front and 20mm back for the flush look. Some flush kits are a bit smaller, most are 15/20 it seems.

I really like my standard wheels and will be keeping them so when I lowered the car it needed them or it would look really bad with the way they were sitting.

Attachments

• GTI_lowered_3.jpg
    GTI_lowered_3.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 71