GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soundaktor On or Off? Any other dealer pickup recommendations?

RobDMB

Passed Driver's Ed
Plan to pick up an R today? What is the prevailing thought - have the Soundaktor on or off? Should I ask the dealer to disable it in software before pickup?

Also do any of you install anything on the rear bumper to protect front load/unload scratches?

Finalky, any other tips or things I should be aware of for pickup? I read a thread that some dealers have left the strut picks in (hope not since I briefly test drive this car). Is that a prevalent thing?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

bpw

Ready to race!
off off off... and get a catback

There's a clear sticker package thing you can buy its 5 pieces they cover the back bumper and under the door handles, good to have IMO

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
I don't get why there is so much hate for the soundaktor. While I agree it's a bit loud from the factory, I still think it adds character to the car while it is stock.

I first turned it down to 50% and it still had a nice level of rumble that wasn't overbearing.

About a week ago I turned it down to 25% and the car is extremely quiet. Borderline too quiet. Turning it completely off while stock will result in a car that is extremely quiet and hard to communicate with unless you are looking at the gauges.

I recommend leaving it on around 30-40% until you do some sort of exhaust upgrade.

When it comes to paint protection, nothing provides peace of mind like a good clear bra install. Get the front of.your car, door cups, side mirrors, and top of rear bumper covered in Suntek or Xpel.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

JDMGolfR

Ready to race!
I don't get why there is so much hate for the soundaktor. While I agree it's a bit loud from the factory, I still think it adds character to the car while it is stock.

I agree, while fake it doesnt sound terrible... and the stock cars exhaust is nothing to get excited about sound wise. Im happy with the fake sound.

RobDMB

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, I am looking for a quieter, refined experience (coming from a WRX) but want the performance where necessary and AWD.

Also, any idea what stock tires could be resold for if removed within the first few days. I'm strongly considering just putting All-Seasons on. Its my daily driver so i'm ok with All-Seasons. I know many are going to suggest winter wheels, but i'd prefer not to have to worry about changing wheels/tires.

mwhittaker1

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, I am looking for a quieter, refined experience (coming from a WRX) but want the performance where necessary and AWD.

Also, any idea what stock tires could be resold for if removed within the first few days. I'm strongly considering just putting All-Seasons on. Its my daily driver so i'm ok with All-Seasons. I know many are going to suggest winter wheels, but i'd prefer not to have to worry about changing wheels/tires.

I was in a similar situation (came from an Inifiniti G35) so I wanted a more refined feel.

Unless I have the car in race mode I have just enough audible feedback from the engine to time my shfits. While in Race mode the sound is a bit louder, but I also tend to have the music turned up a bit at the same time- so it evens out ;)

It's really easy to enable/disable without any modification, so try the car out stock and then see what you like. No number of opinions here will matter more than what you think of the car.

RobDMB

Passed Driver's Ed
I was in a similar situation (came from an Inifiniti G35) so I wanted a more refined feel.

Unless I have the car in race mode I have just enough audible feedback from the engine to time my shfits. While in Race mode the sound is a bit louder, but I also tend to have the music turned up a bit at the same time- so it evens out ;)

It's really easy to enable/disable without any modification, so try the car out stock and then see what you like. No number of opinions here will matter more than what you think of the car.

Do you find the Golf R is more refined than your G35? Somewhat surprised by that.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Plan to pick up an R today? What is the prevailing thought - have the Soundaktor on or off? Should I ask the dealer to disable it in software before pickup?

Also do any of you install anything on the rear bumper to protect front load/unload scratches?

Finalky, any other tips or things I should be aware of for pickup? I read a thread that some dealers have left the strut picks in (hope not since I briefly test drive this car). Is that a prevalent thing?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

I had them turn mine to 50%.
At that setting it blends with the engine better.
If you have not driven with it on 100% much why not try 50% and then at 10,000 service if you do not like turn it off.

Don't go off of others hate for it.
See for yourself - you might like some of it on at a lower setting.

RobDMB

Passed Driver's Ed
I emailed the dealer to ask if I drive the car for a bit and would like it turned off if they would do it for no charge. That may be the best compromise.

mwhittaker1

Passed Driver's Ed
I emailed the dealer to ask if I drive the car for a bit and would like it turned off if they would do it for no charge. That may be the best compromise.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to "turn it 100% off" is either through software or unplugging it manually.

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed

Its funny to me: VW sold the R with an A/S tire until MY '17, during that time all the reviewers could do is bitch a blue streak about how the car came with "crappy all seasons". So VW buckled and now puts on a 2 season UHP tire with a manufacturer warning saying not to use the tires at temps under 45ºF.

:confused:

I have been very happy with the BFG Comp 2 A/S tires, as well as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's. The cold weather nod goes to the BFG's, while the Michelin's perform more admirably in the summer. YMMV.