GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soundaktor firmware updates are now possible :-)

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I guess the soundaktor is quite controversial... bringing fake sound to the cockpit. But some time ago, I cracked the checksum mechanisms of the soundaktor firmware, so now it's possible to flash different firmwares on your soundaktor! I'm running an Audi RS4 firmware on mine, which has a totally different, more realistic cockpit sound than I used to have on my Leon and Golf.

If you want to try the new firmwares, check them out here:
https://github.com/jilleb/mqb-soundaktor/wiki/Download-unlocked-firmwares

I'm unlocking all the firmwares I currently have. Feel free to leave your reviews here!

Note: Please don't reply to this post with soundaktor-hate-posts. The sole purpose for this firmware research is because I want to have additional control over a part that adds greatly to the driving experience.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I guess you need vcds to do this, not obd11 right?

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Dude this is amazing, I’ve always had the thought of “what if you could change the soundaktor software to whatever you want” and you actually did it.

I’ll have to enable mine again and try these out. Do they have a V12 option or 5 cylinder 😂

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Dude this is amazing, I’ve always had the thought of “what if you could change the soundaktor software to whatever you want” and you actually did it.

I’ll have to enable mine again and try these out. Do they have a V12 option or 5 cylinder 😂
Ferrari V12 sound coming up!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
this is awesome, i also always wondered if i could flash in a different noise profile; the S3 for instance sounds different inside than a Golf

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST

Thanks! There's actually one from the RS4 that sounds like a V10 in normal mode :LOL:
I did experiment with adding my own custom sound samples from Need for Speed and the Jetsons
Takes some more experimenting before I get the settings right, I'm not there yet.
Hear for yourself how the Jetsons engne sample sounds on the internal soundaktor:

this is awesome, i also always wondered if i could flash in a different noise profile; the S3 for instance sounds different inside than a Golf

Thanks! I was so amazed at how different each firmware sounds... And how much louder some can be. For instance, Skoda Octavia RS has a VERY loud sound. And the TTRS firmware sounds like there's a completely different turbo engine under the hood.

I am really curious to read all your findings!

Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I did experiment with adding my own custom sound samples from Need for Speed and the Jetsons
Bahaha oh my god man. Are you saying you can add any sound you want? The meme potential is off the charts, this is brilliant. I’m just curious, how is it represented in the flash file (or is it somewhere else?) Is it literally just like WAV or some other data that goes by rpm? Or is there some more complicated sound generation that is playing individual “notes” to make it sound like an engine. I really don’t need yet another car project but looks like I can’t help myself with this one haha.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Already googling VCP's cable, adapter, scanner, whatever thing....

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Bahaha oh my god man. Are you saying you can add any sound you want?
Almost anything, but there are some limitations:
- there's very little memory space available to store the sound samples
- the sample resolution is pretty low, so the sound would be without much definition

The meme potential is off the charts, this is brilliant. I’m just curious, how is it represented in the flash file (or is it somewhere else?)
The firmware file is an XML that consists of 3 parts. A driver, an app and the configuration data. The data file is 56kB with all kinds of settings and tables and a bunch of raw sound samples that can be converted to WAV. On the GitHub page I put some examples of converted wav files

Is it literally just like WAV or some other data that goes by rpm? Or is there some more complicated sound generation that is playing individual “notes” to make it sound like an engine. I really don’t need yet another car project but looks like I can’t help myself with this one haha.

The soundaktor is almost like a complete synthesizer. There's a bunch of samples that are played at a specific volume and pitch, depending on speed and rpm.
There are many different layers the sound can consist of. From what I understand, there can be up to 16 layers that each have their own rpm and speed 'characteristics curve'. For instance: the sample with a more detailed engine sound is played at low rpm, but at higher revs, a less detailed sound is playing, at a higher pitch. Stuff like that.
I wish I could get my hands on the official tools they use to make these files, so making changes would be easier 😅😅

😎 It's a nice tool! You can use it for a lot of things!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
s4 with supercharger whine pls?

this is fantastic i feel like i must get a cable and try it with a v10 sound lmao

my wife will hate me

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Almost anything, but there are some limitations:
- there's very little memory space available to store the sound samples
- the sample resolution is pretty low, so the sound would be without much definition

The firmware file is an XML that consists of 3 parts. A driver, an app and the configuration data. The data file is 56kB with all kinds of settings and tables and a bunch of raw sound samples that can be converted to WAV. On the GitHub page I put some examples of converted wav files

The soundaktor is almost like a complete synthesizer. There's a bunch of samples that are played at a specific volume and pitch, depending on speed and rpm.
There are many different layers the sound can consist of. From what I understand, there can be up to 16 layers that each have their own rpm and speed 'characteristics curve'. For instance: the sample with a more detailed engine sound is played at low rpm, but at higher revs, a less detailed sound is playing, at a higher pitch. Stuff like that.
I wish I could get my hands on the official tools they use to make these files, so making changes would be easier 😅😅

😎 It's a nice tool! You can use it for a lot of things!
That is so cool. Definitely keep us updated with your custom sounds, I'm excited lol. Great job - it seems there's so many little details and obviously none of it is documented. Gonna try to use my knockoff VAS5054 to flash the RS4 one 🙂 And maybe try to understand your repo and play some random noises 😂 (though chances are I probably won't figure it out)

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
You should get a clone vas5054. unless your doing alot of flashing, retrofitting a vcp is overkill. not to mention expensive when you factor in the subscription. there is a relativly new tool. www.vctool.app. uses a vas5054, or any ELM based dongle. and does was vcds and vcp do. also seems to have alot more features than either of the two.