Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Does anyone know if the extra grunt you hear when changing the engine setting to Sport on the Golf R is just the extra outer exhaust actuate opening or does it also turn up the soundaktor volume? I've been waiting for a VCDS walk thru for changing the soundaktor volume or disabling all together. I'm going to try this today.
It doesn't change the soundactor volume, but it opens the exhaust flaps, raises the engine RPM, changes the throttle response, and DSG shift points.

bc0203

The Soundaktor in my GTI is set at 40%

... and it sounds just like my old (chipped) Audi A4: a nice combination of engine noise and turbo whistle.

Highly recommended if you can get your dealer (or a friend) to do it.

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
Soundaktor changing volume between suspension settings?

I noticed today, while driving with the suspension set to 'Comfort' that the Soundaktor appeared to have reduced its volume? I went to another road where there was little traffic and switched a few times between 'Comfort' and 'Normal' suspension settings at 40-50 mph with a light throttle and I really think the Soundaktor is changing its volume between these settings. Is this actually going on or am I just having a case of wishful thinking?

I intend to have the Soundaktor reset to 50% volume when the R goes to the dealer soon, as my usual suspension setting is 'Normal', which replicates our Mk7 TDI with its Bilstein HD B6 shocks, installed several weeks after we bought the TDI. Also a great Golf, but too soft and slow rebound control with its smaller 50mm diameter stock shocks.
-Rod

pipsyp

Ready to race!
I quite like the soundaktor noise on my GTD....its fun but personally I prefer how the car goes when the throttle is set to normal so use Individual mode (with everything set Sport apart from throttle).

Sadly you cant choose to have the Soundaktor working in anything other than Sport so on the most part I do without the noise. Perhaps not a bad thing as when you arent in the mood the soundaktor noise can get a bit bloody wearing.

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
Snip... I quite like the soundaktor noise on my GTD....its fun but personally I prefer how the car goes when the throttle is set to normal so use Individual mode (with everything set Sport apart from throttle).
The GTD is what I wanted after test driving it in Amersfoort, NL, last October, but it isn't available in the U.S. and may never become so :(, thus my decision to buy the R.

I did some more 'listening' yesterday between 'Comfort' and 'Normal' settings and my passenger also says that the Soundaktor is not as loud in 'Comfort' mode. After the July 4th holiday traffic here goes away, I'll try your 'throttle' setting and see what results. Thanks for the reply.
-Rod

Tone1

Ready to race!
Is there a security code for the A9 channel?

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Can anyone provide a wiring diagram for the Soundaktor (non TDI version) into the BCM please? I'm looking to attempt a retrofit into my NAR TSI 1.8T in hopes of it working. Thanks!

romeonyc77

Passed Driver's Ed
I turned down my Soundaktor to 0 yesterday...I don't really like it...The car is way too quiet. When eventually I get an exhaust maybe it will sound better being off but for now I think I am going back to 100.

turboBear

Passed Driver's Ed
For anyone "in the know"

... on my new '17 GTI Sport (US model, 400 miles on the clock, thanks) the car settings have Normal, Sport, and Custom for Driving Mode selections; and in Custom there is Normal and Sport for the Engine Sound item. This is AFICS the Soundaktor control that is provided (w/o using VAG-COM of course).

Question is, does anyone know what the sound levels are in Normal and Sport ... I'm guessing Sport is 100% volume but in Normal mode it's nowhere near that. There's a clear difference.

In Normal mode I don't find irritating and there's no rattles and such that I can hear, cabin sound volume putting around and motoring gently down the highway seems fine, with a bit of extra noise when accelerating more-than-gently (which must be a combination of actual engine/exhaust and Soundaktor).

I'm curious whether going to the effort of getting the volume dropped to nil in Normal mode would be a tangible difference, or just splitting hairs.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
On my '17 Sport I have my custom mode set up with all the sport options selected and just have the "engine noise" turned off. I like sport mode, but don't like fake noise. So that works perfect for me. I don't see the need for unplugging mine or changing it via scantool if VW just gave me the option to say "off" through the driving mode selection.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
For anyone "in the know"

... on my new '17 GTI Sport (US model, 400 miles on the clock, thanks) the car settings have Normal, Sport, and Custom for Driving Mode selections; and in Custom there is Normal and Sport for the Engine Sound item. This is AFICS the Soundaktor control that is provided (w/o using VAG-COM of course).

Question is, does anyone know what the sound levels are in Normal and Sport ... I'm guessing Sport is 100% volume but in Normal mode it's nowhere near that. There's a clear difference.

In Normal mode I don't find irritating and there's no rattles and such that I can hear, cabin sound volume putting around and motoring gently down the highway seems fine, with a bit of extra noise when accelerating more-than-gently (which must be a combination of actual engine/exhaust and Soundaktor).

I'm curious whether going to the effort of getting the volume dropped to nil in Normal mode would be a tangible difference, or just splitting hairs.
To me, that would be a hair splitter, as you said the normal mode in our sports has natural engine noise that is subtle, and in Sport it's 100%. Custom can be whatever combo of the two. I don't see a need for anything in between myself, but hey, to each his own.

turboBear

Passed Driver's Ed
... that would be a hair splitter.. normal mode in our sports has natural engine noise that is subtle, and in Sport it's 100%.

That's what seems to be, to me, just no way to know that the Normal mode is truly just the mechanical noise, not synthesized at all.

If I was adventurous and it wasn't winter I'd try pulling the cable off the device to find out, but i'm not willing to work in my driveway on the car while dealing with snow and ice and frozen temps. I'm a pansy that way. :^)

SpecialVW

I want to ACTIVATE the EXTERNAL soundaktor system ...
I already have the factory speaker R257 on the car (as in photo)

I also bought the control unit 5G0 907 160 which is the J943 and VCDS address C0.
I have connected all the wires, enabled in Gateway, no errors in C0 and done sound tests with VCDS and speaker sounds exhaust pipe. But when I change driving mode and accelerate the sound does not change. The volume in C0 in adaptation is 100%
Code:
Address C0: Act. for Ext. Noise (J943)       Labels: 4G0-907-160.clb
   Part No SW: 5G0 907 160     HW: 4G0 907 160 B
   Component: SAS-GEN 2 AGA H09 0006 
   Serial number: 160408200451
   ASAM Dataset: EV_ActuaForExterNoiseUDS 003013
   ROD: EV_ActuaForExterNoiseUDS.rod
   VCID: 63C51A8B6A55B157DA-8036
Is there any other coding to be done in some other ECU?
Is the engine not CUNA, is Engine (J623-CRBC) working on CUNA only?
I have not installed A9 engine noise for interior, depends from this?