GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sound deadening

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
With all this new time sitting at home and no where to drive to I was thinking of tackling my car and adding some sound deadening. Has anyone here done it? What were the results? Do you have pics? What did you use? I'm thinking of using Kilmat $60 @ Amazon. Any advice or things to look out for?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Don't drop any on the floor. :ROFLMAO:

Other than that, use the biggest pieces you can, and try to cover large, unsupported areas of metal; overlapping reinforced areas where possible. There is no need to cover everything; using decent size sections helps tie things together. Remember: All you're doing is changing the resonant frequency of the metal and reducing some higher frequency irritation; not trying to "keep sound out". The only time you bother with complete coverage is when you're banging bass that will resonate nearly anything.

If you're just trying to make the car quieter and more refined when driving, those normal automotive noise intrusions aren't that big of a deal to handle.

You want to try to use pieces at least one square foot; but something is always better than nothing. If you can't use a big piece, put whatever you can in the least supported span of that sheet metal. Hit the rear wheel wells and firewall as best you can to get the most out of it. The biggest step up is sealing door cavities with it and hitting the roof; but not everyone wants to bother with that. I'd warn against screwing around with headliners if you haven't before; especially really nice ones like VW used.

Nobody can ever get that upholstery right again at a reasonable price, and the padding is legendarily fragile, and commonly they are only backed with foam with a touch of glass fiber. It's easy to crease or otherwise damage.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I thought the factory setup was pretty quiet on the Golf-R. You might be better off turning off the soundaktor (sp?) and getting quieter riding tires..(?)

Since I run a fairly audible catback exhaust on mine and drive with the window cracked open, interior noise has not bothered me.

Or do a 180 and maybe get a nice exhaust?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I did some anti-resonance and sound absorption treatment of my GTI a couple years ago. Anti-resonance treatement is already pretty good, but if you drive a subwoofer hard a little extra is helpful in the rear. There is no carpet dampening material from the rear seats back, covering that will provide the largest decrease in noise, then doors. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/making-golf-interior-quieter.353395/

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I put Kilmat from amazon in my car. I put it in all four doors, hatch, under the rear seat and spare tire well. Honestly it didn’t make that much of a difference, but it was a fun Inexpensive project, especially to do during quarantine, do it.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Sound deadened the inner roof of the R... pain in the butt to remove the handles. You'll need a specific tool to remove the visors and 2 picks (one straight and one bent) to remove the grab handles. Keep in mind the roof already has foam adhered to the bar metal to add rigidity. I used a few sheets of mat to... and in the end there was a bit of difference. Maybe cut the air noise in half.

Also did under the rear seats and the spare tire well. I would start there since it's the easiest. The doors also have reinforcements to prevent vibration... the car is pretty well insulated I think. However, a lot of the noise comes through the glass. Not sure if there's much you can do about that though!

geh

I used Noico (amazon). Two part system with the black sticky stuff and an adhesive foam. I found out you don't really need to cover everything with the black stuff. I did cover the entire rear wheel wheels and a good part of the spare tire well but in the doors, put it here and there and tapped the surrounding metal till it was dead enough (kind of a judgement thing) and then covered everything with the foam. I did inside all doors and the entire rear of the car and its like night and day. Started with 36 square feet of each. I may have ordered another 18 of foam and have some black stuff left over.