GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Son Almost Sacrificed Himself for the GTI

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
So, I woke up a couple of days ago to my wife telling me our son was ok, but…

Not the best way to start the day.

Apparently he was getting ready to leave for school but realized he forgot something in the house. Turned his car off, got out of the car and started walking toward the house.

He said he heard the sound of the tires moving across the concrete, turned around and his car was right behind him and moving quickly towards my car.

For some reason, according to him, he was more worried about his car hitting mine than anything else, so he opened the door, jumped in and jammed on the brakes.

Fortunately, he didn’t get run over by his own car. Unfortunately, before he got his car completely stopped, his driver’s side front door smashed into the driver’s side rear door of my wife’s car.

Poor kid thought I was going to be extremely upset and flip out. He’ll understand when he’s a dad that my relief FAR outweighed my anger in that situation.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
For reference, our driveway is a semi circle with my wife and I parking in the middle, closest to the house, and our son parking on the left of that retaining wall, closer to the front yard. My GTI was parked exactly where my GLI was in this picture.

5F6AA33F-1940-482B-A889-AEEB65646B79.jpeg

Wife’s CX-5

A202211E-B0C1-427D-8740-4816CA0C1172.jpeg

Son’s car.

958C96F4-5C8B-4044-BA61-F8114CACC531.jpeg

Thomas.brian23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Sorry that happened, but glad it was metal and not flesh that was damaged. Good luck getting both cars repaired. Assuming son’s car is a stick and he forgot to set the parking brake?

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Sorry that happened, but glad it was metal and not flesh that was damaged. Good luck getting both cars repaired. Assuming son’s car is a stick and he forgot to set the parking brake?
Thanks. Full coverage on both vehicles, so we’re “only” out two deductibles.

Crazy thing is that it’s an automatic and he said he thought he accidentally left it in drive before her turned it off. I’m thinking he was in a hurry and didn’t realize he left it in neutral.

Task saturation is a killer man.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Get him a gti, It will never let him leave the car without putting it in park with the engine off :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I only say this out of annoyance from the constant chimes...

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Get him a gti, It will never let him leave the car without putting it in park with the engine off :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I only say this out of annoyance from the constant chimes...
That’s for sure! About gives me a heart attack every time I start the car with the door open.