GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Son’s First Autocross

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S

I used this car as a daily driven/track day car for a couple years. Retired it from track days and gave it to my son…. now he’s enjoying it at a local autocross.

Lucky to have a common interest with him in the GTI. Maybe he can give me some pointers going forward as I was never much of an Autocross guy. I liked this venue as it was kind of like a mini track. Maybe I’ll join him next time out!

0CD08C0D-4083-490A-9FD7-5359DF8D59FA.jpeg

742446D8-0D91-4D79-AECD-FE1FCED5264B.jpeg

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I’m still stoked about this past weekend. What I appreciated the most about this day was that at age 16, the desire to do the autox came from the kid. A neighbor told him about the event (it’s actually a get young drivers off street racing program) and on his own he got the car prepped and drove out to the event. I met him out there in my car and spectated.

All I did was walk the course with him, gave him a suggested line, brake zones, turn in, apex and track out markers….look out for the compromise turns ahead, etc…..

…Once the runs started he’d turn in too early, find himself understeering, then as the day went on he’d open up his line and improve hitting his marks and the times were then dropping in 2 second improvements per run.

He then got some ride along seat time in this competitive driver’s M3 and after getting out of this car, he went back in the GTI and cut another 4 seconds off his lap

C7218584-7562-49C7-A3FA-41CBC6BF2C5E.jpeg

All in good fun. I did my best to stand back and let him figure things out on his own (I’d just remind him to open up his line!)… didn’t even get in the car with him. Will always remember this.

13B6F0F5-7A76-40B8-8720-12F94D8D31F4.jpeg

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
congrats. I introduced AX to two of ours. They're moms themselves so they're pressed for time to carry on with it, but a grandchild gets his license next year :)

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Hey all.

I’m going to join my son next outing in my base DSG 2021 Acura ILX. Car came with stock Michelin MXM4 sized 215/45 17 (500tw Grand Touring All Season tires with Sunflower Seed oil technology!)….

I was looking at replacing the Michelin with some Direzza ZIII or RT615K and just keeping them on the car for daily. I’m not looking to be a competitor on my first day out but I also would like to have the right equipment.

My son’s been running a set of RT615K on his GTI for the past several months and I’m duly impressed by their longevity (even having put them through a couple track days before giving him the car) and they were up to task on that last event, even having been driven daily for months beforehand.

I’ve read the ZIII may have even slightly longer tread life.

Should I just do the upcoming autocross on the MXM4’s or do I spend the cash and get the 200tw tires?

I can go the extra wheel/tire setup route but I don’t know if I’m all in yet on autocrossing the Acura beyond the next event. I know the biggest factor is the driver but I don’t want to be miserable on all seasons if they’re going to be horrible.

??? For you guys

1) Screw it. Run with the MXM4’s and just enjoy the event.

2) Replace MXM4 with 200tw (and store or sell the Michelins) and Daily Drive the 200tw set.

3) 300tw UHP like Firestone Indy 500s and Daily the set (trade some performance for longevity).

4) Plop down the $$$ and get the extra dedicated and proper AutoX wheel/tire set with the most competitive tire and lightest wheel. Things will go that route eventually… get to it already.

Last edited:

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
^If you haven't run the Acura before, I'd stick with the stock tires, enjoy the event, and then decide if it's worth investing more money in. You might find that it's not fun to drive at all; understeers like a pig, traction/stability nannies ruin the experience, or the DSG doesn't respond well when pushed, who knows. Or maybe it'll be awesome and you'll want to go all in with a dedicated autox wheel/tire setup.

If you're running good 200tw tires for daily driving long-term, they'll likely be heat-cycled out and get hard well before the tread is gone, and most of them don't fare too well in heavy rain and standing water once they get worn down. I'd go with some cheaper 300tw tires for a compromise if you really want to daily and race on 1 set.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
^If you haven't run the Acura before, I'd stick with the stock tires, enjoy the event, and then decide if it's worth investing more money in. You might find that it's not fun to drive at all; understeers like a pig, traction/stability nannies ruin the experience, or the DSG doesn't respond well when pushed, who knows. Or maybe it'll be awesome and you'll want to go all in with a dedicated autox wheel/tire setup.

If you're running good 200tw tires for daily driving long-term, they'll likely be heat-cycled out and get hard well before the tread is gone, and most of them don't fare too well in heavy rain and standing water once they get worn down. I'd go with some cheaper 300tw tires for a compromise if you really want to daily and race on 1 set.
Thanks for your response! You’re helping me with the decision making process.

I agree. The 200tw would be better off on a separate set of wheels so as to not cycle them out. So that eliminates Option 2.

Option 1 is still on the table. I’m not expecting much out of those MXM4 but I also don’t want to destroy them. They actually offer more lateral grip than other Touring tires I’ve used over the years.

Option 3 makes sense. A 300tw tire is going to be a great addition to the car. Living in Miami, Summers year round work great. I have a set of Indy 500 on another car and they’re absolutely great.

And correct. Option 4- jumping the gun right now… not sure if I’m going to enjoy Autocross in this car (for the reasons you noted). Gotta try it first!