GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Someone tried removing GTI sideskirts

adefendo1

Ready to race!
Does look like jack damage for sure. I've never had it on a jack before, only time I could think of would be for the recall fuel evap recall. Don't know if warranty gonna cover it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adefendo1

Ready to race!
Stopped of at the dealership after work yesterday and spoke to the service manager. I was honest and said that I had no idea how it happened and it looked like it could have been caused by a lift. He took a look at it and agreed so said that they'd fix it under warranty. Guys over at VW of Alamo Heights doing me a solid. [emoji106]

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Stopped of at the dealership after work yesterday and spoke to the service manager. I was honest and said that I had no idea how it happened and it looked like it could have been caused by a lift. He took a look at it and agreed so said that they'd fix it under warranty. Guys over at VW of Alamo Heights doing me a solid. [emoji106]

Very happy to hear a dealer doing the reasonable thing, I think it looks like lift damage myself.

Mer2112

Passed Driver's Ed
Capt'N D,

How did you remove the skirt? I need to take mine off and see if I can pop out a dent.

Some idiot didn't make sure his jack stand was out of the way when he lowered the jack.....

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
lol i have the same dent on mine! haha i fucked up and was the idiot tho. Instead of moving the jackstand out of the way, i turned it and got distracted and left it in place, so it missed the mounting point completely.

adefendo1

Ready to race!
Capt'N D,

How did you remove the skirt? I need to take mine off and see if I can pop out a dent.

Some idiot didn't make sure his jack stand was out of the way when he lowered the jack.....

Side skirts are held in place with a few screws and clips.. remove the screws( believe it was 3) front by wheel, center of skirt and rear. After that it's a matter of working the skirt out of the clips by pulling, and yes they are held on tight..feels like they're gonna break but they will unclip!

Mer2112

Passed Driver's Ed
I found this. Mine is only held in place with one screw in the middle. (number 4 in the image) After that it slides off of the screws installed along the rocker panel.
My GTI is a 2017 SE with a build date of Feb. 2017.

Last edited:

afman916

Ready to race!
Capt'N D,

You manage to pop the dent out man? In a similar situation myself and have been wondering whether or not the dent can be popped...

afman916

Ready to race!
Yes I did!

Hell yeah man! Local body shop do it for you, or DIY? Guy I bought my car from when a little too far forward on some race ramps so I've got basically the same dent as you on each side. Quoted $1,500 at a body shop for a true "fix" but they're not that noticeable as-is, so if I can just pop em out and be in my way I'd much prefer to go that route.

Mer2112

Passed Driver's Ed
Hell yeah man! Local body shop do it for you, or DIY? Guy I bought my car from when a little too far forward on some race ramps so I've got basically the same dent as you on each side. Quoted $1,500 at a body shop for a true "fix" but they're not that noticeable as-is, so if I can just pop em out and be in my way I'd much prefer to go that route.

DIY for $20.00. Took me about 20 pulls and about an hour of time. Little by little, worked the dent level again. Biggest advice is to make sure you clean the pull tab and car with alcohol very well each time and be patient.

https://smile.amazon.com/LEOTOTO-Paintless-Dent-Removal-Tool/dp/B096XL116N/

Updated link, 8/17/2021

Last edited:

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Ok, thought I'd give an update..pulled off the side skirts and mounting assembly.. looks like I did hit something and hard. Bent the crap out of the under carriage. Just don't know when or what it could have been. The side skirt is ok but turns out the mounting bracket it broken in half. If anyone knows the oem mounting hRdware item number that would be a big help.

That's absolutely jack/lift damage. I did almost the exact same damage to my Golf last night when the jack slipped. Going to a body shop Monday anyways, they should be able to just pull/hammer that out no? Worst case I figure aftermarket side skirts will cover and hide the damage