GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Some SUPER good StopTech deals...if you aren't picky about the color

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I have been researching StopTech BBKs a bit and I stumbled on a StopTech clearance sale at BuyBrakes.com. They have ST-41 kits for $770 and ST-60 kits for $1860! Use CarId to search the p/n to see a great image and explanation of the specific kits.

Please note that all the ST-41 kits, and half of the ST-60 kits come with non-coated rotors. Also, I have no idea how many they have for sale...the sales person just kept saying "not many left".

BuyBrakes.com sale page - https://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech-brake-kits-sale-on-overstock-big-brake-kits

StopTech 2018 catalog (13-14 pages down gives you the explanation on how to read StopTech part numbers) https://www.carid.com/images/stoptech/info/pdf/catalog.pdf

tWat

Ready to race!
I just ordered the ST40 355mm kit in yellow from them. Weird thing is that they state these are overstock items but after the purchase they notified me that the kit needed to be assembled and would not ship for 3 weeks. Seems a bit odd as I would assume if they are selling them so cheap it's because they are old inventory that they have to heavily discount to move. Either way I can wait 3 weeks for such a good deal :p

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I just spent a little time reading reviews and I hope they don’t give you guys the run around. Seems like it’s not uncommon for them to say “they’ll ship tomorrow” for weeks on end

Navi

Autocross Champion
These are most likely drop shipped from stoptech. Stoptech usually had the caliper and rotors in stock but they manufacture the vehicle specific mounting brackets and rotor hat per order so it is normal for it to take 3 weeks for stoptech kits.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I have been researching StopTech BBKs a bit and I stumbled on a StopTech clearance sale at BuyBrakes.com. They have ST-41 kits for $770 and ST-60 kits for $1860! Use CarId to search the p/n to see a great image and explanation of the specific kits.

Please note that all the ST-41 kits, and half of the ST-60 kits come with non-coated rotors. Also, I have no idea how many they have for sale...the sales person just kept saying "not many left".

BuyBrakes.com sale page - https://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech-brake-kits-sale-on-overstock-big-brake-kits

StopTech 2018 catalog (13-14 pages down gives you the explanation on how to read StopTech part numbers) https://www.carid.com/images/stoptech/info/pdf/catalog.pdf

Looks like only yellow calipers in the st40. All colors except red in st41.
That being said for an aggressively driven daily driver, would the st40 be that much of an upgrade over st41?To put into perspective I am still on stock Golf 288mm brakes and I get brake fade on back roads after a few turns.
Finally, for some reason websites list compatibility for GTI brakes as not being compatible with Golf, but I'm 99% sure they are. Can someone confirm.

Edit: one more question. You BBK people, what do you use for spare tire? The Golf R 18" one. Doubt stock one would work.

Edit: there's more colors available for GTI and also some trophy series.

Best way is to search 893 or 897 which is car model

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Bit the bullet and ordered a set of ST40 with blue calipers and slotted 355mm rotors. $1250 shipped. ETA is 3.5 weeks. Hopefully it's not a case of too good to be true because they retail for $2400. And hopefully they fit behind my 18" wheels.

Last edited:

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
You can download a template to check clearance. Check the Stoptech website. I need to use spacers on the front with my Brembo 330mm BBK with the Austin wheels. The Stoptech caliper is very close to the same size.

As for the flat tire question, I assume that the spare must go on the back. If you have a flat of a front tire, you would have to move one of the rears to the front and then put the spare on the rear.

tWat

Ready to race!
Bit the bullet and ordered a set of ST40 with blue calipers and slotted 355mm rotors. $1250 shipped. ETA is 3.5 weeks. Hopefully it's not a case of too good to be true because they retail for $2400. And hopefully they fit behind my 18" wheels.

I bought the same kit in yellow and they said the same thing about the 3.5 week lead time. I'm guessing at this point that Stoptech is actually running the sale since we now know for sure this is not some old stock sitting on some retailer's shelf. Maybe they have a new line of calipers coming out that are going to replace the long in the tooth ST series?

I'm in the process of buying a trophy kit for my miata from them for $700!!!

In regards to your question about the spare we might need to carry a small spacer with extended lugs to clear the caliper. I guess we will figure it out 3.5 weeks :p

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
You can download a template to check clearance. Check the Stoptech website. I need to use spacers on the front with my Brembo 330mm BBK with the Austin wheels. The Stoptech caliper is very close to the same size..

Yeah. For some reason,I can't download the template. Figured I have 18x8 et46 Audi wheels and oem wheels tend to have less concavity for better clearance.

As for the flat tire question, I assume that the spare must go on the back. If you have a flat of a front tire, you would have to move one of the rears to the front and then put the spare on the rear.

Duh. I guess I had a brain fart.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I bought the same kit in yellow and they said the same thing about the 3.5 week lead time. I'm guessing at this point that Stoptech is actually running the sale since we now know for sure this is not some old stock sitting on some retailer's shelf. Maybe they have a new line of calipers coming out that are going to replace the long in the tooth ST series?

Even if they come out with something new, can't imagine a massive improvement over these.

I was torn between yellow and blue, don't think silver or black was available. Going to try to get the rears powder coated blue.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
RIP nothing available for the golf R. Do the GTI ones fit on the R seeing as they are different part numbers?

edit: only gti stuff left is 380mm

Last edited:

tWat

Ready to race!
RIP nothing available for the golf R. Do the GTI ones fit on the R seeing as they are different part numbers?

edit: only gti stuff left is 380mm

There is a ton of kits still available from what I can see that will fit your R. You just need to cross reference all the part #'s listed for a mk7 gen car on the list. The ones I ordered weren't even listed as a specific fit for a GTI but after the sales guy called Stoptech they confirmed that the ones I wanted would in fact fit a GTI. If I would have asked him first to he would have said they don't have anything left for GTI fitment.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
There is a ton of kits still available from what I can see that will fit your R. You just need to cross reference all the part #'s listed for a mk7 gen car on the list. The ones I ordered weren't even listed as a specific fit for a GTI but after the sales guy called Stoptech they confirmed that the ones I wanted would in fact fit a GTI. If I would have asked him first to he would have said they don't have anything left for GTI fitment.
Checked again and via stoptech part # only thing left that would fit are 380mm kits

Edit: will the kits for a base golf or a3 fit just fine on a R? I don't wanna be shit outta luck if I order a super cheap kit and it doesn't fit

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
As far as I know and per Yip, Golf,GTI,R will fit Any mk7. I went with the Golf kit because they had it and it was cheaper than the GTI kit. But any should work.

Search for 893 or 897 or 896. That's the number after the first 2.
If you want to narrow down further, you cab add ".xxxx" where xxxx is the model of the kit so 896.4700 would be Golf R ST40 kit with 355mm rotors

Edit: just searched and these are available. There are 23 GTI skus available. Didn't realize that when I started the list. Anyway, you get the idea.

83.897.4700.21 - Golf, ST40, 355mm slotted, blue calipers
83.897.4700.22 - Golf, ST40, 355mm drilled, blue calipers
83.897.4700.81 - Golf, ST40, 355mm slotted, yellow calipers
83.897.4700.82 - Golf, ST40, 355mm drilled, yellow calipers
83.897.6700.21 - Golf, ST60 (maybe ST60, def 6 piston caliper), 355mm slotted, blue calipers
83.897.6700.22 - Golf, ST60 (maybe ST60, def 6 piston caliper), 355mm drilled, blue calipers
83.897.6700.21 - Golf, ST60 (maybe ST60, def 6 piston caliper), 355mm slotted, black calipers
83.897.6700.22 - Golf, ST60 (maybe ST60, def 6 piston caliper), 355mm drilled, black calipers

Last edited:

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I figured that it wouldn't matter for any mk7 chassis. I did reach out to stoptech for confirmation tho as well.

The prices are too good to be true so I'm super skeptical with those deals.