GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Some SUPER good StopTech deals...if you aren't picky about the color

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
This is an absolute bargain!

I have the ST40 (4-piston) caliper with the 328mm two-piece rotor.
They are super light and a stellar upgrade over the non-PP brakes.

The nicest thing about the 328mm rotor is they are very friendly for wheel choice. They even fit under the stock Austins with only a 5mm spacer.

I've used Stoptech BBKs for over 10 years on the road and track and have never left me down, ever.
The Stoptechs also have a TON of pad choices and it literally takes about 5 minutes per side to change them (with practice and I've done it a lot myself).

If you're thinking about it, jump on this.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Just got off the phone with stoptech. The 897 golf kit will fit the 896 golf R but it won't be optimal. Piston sizing is 30,34 vs 32,34. He was asking the engineer who tested them on his personal golf R next to him. Piston size is different due to fwd vs awd & more weight per the engineer he brought on the phone.

So will it be better than stock, hell yes. Will it preform.as optimally as possibly, no it won't.

The difference is $1000 in the 897 vs 896 kit for me and I track 4-6 times a year. I feel like the $1000 savings is justified but I hope someone else can chime in.

tWat

Ready to race!
Just got off the phone with stoptech. The 897 golf kit will fit the 896 golf R but it won't be optimal. Piston sizing is 30,34 vs 32,34. He was asking the engineer who tested them on his personal golf R next to him. Piston size is different due to fwd vs awd & more weight per the engineer he brought on the phone.

So will it be better than stock, hell yes. Will it preform.as optimally as possibly, no it won't.

The difference is $1000 in the 897 vs 896 kit for me and I track 4-6 times a year. I feel like the $1000 savings is justified but I hope someone else can chime in.

So get the ST60 6 piston kit then. There is much more to it than just the piston sizing. Hell, I would put a Golf 328mm kit on my R over the stock single piston sliding caliper setup. The weight savings combined with a much stiffer caliper that will have more consistent feel over a high temperature range, has more cost effective pad options that can be swapped out much easier is enough incentive alone.

I'm only saying this because you mentioned track days. For a street driven car it's all overkill no matter what kit were talking about. For the track though, brakes, tires and alignment will make the most difference in times. I've driven my track EVO on blown dampers in hot ass weather that was causing the ECU to pull timing faster than my best times on non blown suspension in cool weather on stock'ish brakes. Having the confidence to bury the car deep into the braking zones is just about the single most important thing to me for any type of motorsports event.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
So get the ST60 6 piston kit then. There is much more to it than just the piston sizing. Hell, I would put a Golf 328mm kit on my R over the stock single piston sliding caliper setup. The weight savings combined with a much stiffer caliper that will have more consistent feel over a high temperature range, has more cost effective pad options that can be swapped out much easier is enough incentive alone.

I'm only saying this because you mentioned track days. For a street driven car it's all overkill no matter what kit were talking about. For the track though, brakes, tires and alignment will make the most difference in times. I've driven my track EVO on blown dampers in hot ass weather that was causing the ECU to pull timing faster than my best times on non blown suspension in cool weather on stock'ish brakes. Having the confidence to bury the car deep into the braking zones is just about the single most important thing to me for any type of motorsports event.
So the 26-28-32 piston vs 30-34-34 is the part I'm wondering about. The engineer said it's cool to run it, it just wouldn't be optimal.

They are cool with giving me 20% off so that takes the correct part # R kit down to like $2400 something vs the $1600ish for the "golf/a3" kit.

Or $2100 vs $1250 for the st40 kit.

Only problem is all the kits the only color is blue which I really don't like as I was wanting black and I know the blue will distort color like crazy

I don't know enough about brakes to determine if that's a big issue or not.

tWat

Ready to race!
We need an engineer to chime in but just looking at it if the stock R brakes use a single 60mm piston and the base golf Stoptech kit uses an average of 3 28mm pistons I have to think that the apply pressure is greater than the stock caliper due to the Stoptech pistons having a greater cross sectional surface area.

Then add in the increased rotor size from 340mm to 355mm and brake torque should increase by noticeable amount regardless of which caliper you use if pad size and compound are similar.

Then........ add in the stiffness of the fixed caliper vs the sliding caliper.

At near full retail or slightly discounted pricing I would consider other options or might even stay with the stock brake setup. With half off + discounting I couldn't resist.

Again, for a street driven car I think just about any aftermarket fixed caliper multi piston kit is overkill unless every drive to work is a time attack session like mine :p

For a an occasional track day or any type of motorsports event I would take the base golf Stoptech kit over the R brakes just for the consistency of brake pedal feel that you would gain from the Stoptech setup even if stopping power was not increased.

Last edited:

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
So it looks like we are looking for 82.xx is one piece rotor. 83.xxx two piece rotors xx.895 would be the 2015 to 2017 GTI so 82.895 or 83.895.. and 83.897

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
So it looks like we are looking for 82.xx is one piece rotor. 83.xxx two piece rotors xx.895 would be the 2015 to 2017 GTI so 82.895 or 83.895.. and 83.897

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
895 and 897 use the same caliper part # just a FYI. The 896 uses a different one

15S3

Ready to race!
What does the three digit number refer to? i.e. 83.895.xxxx and 83.893.xxxx I'm also seeing an 83.892.xxxx listing for the A3/Golf.

Last edited:

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
What does the three digit number refer to? i.e. 83.895.xxxx and 83.893.xxxx I'm also seeing an 83.892.xxxx listing for the A3/Golf.
Model designation. It's explained in the link. They all use same caliper except for the R/s3 which is different. Makes me wonder how Apr/Revo/nuespeed sells their kits as a one fits all where stoptech has differing sizes. Doesn't make. Alot of sense

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Model designation. It's explained in the link. They all use same caliper except for the R/s3 which is different. Makes me wonder how Apr/Revo/nuespeed sells their kits as a one fits all where stoptech has differing sizes. Doesn't make. Alot of sense

Could it be because they designed their BBK kits to fit under stock wheels?

15S3

Ready to race!

Ok, but any way to know/find out what the specific physical differences are between the 892, 893, 895, 897 brake kits? Piston size?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Ok, but any way to know/find out what the specific physical differences are between the 892, 893, 895, 897 brake kits? Piston size?
Piston size is the only difference. Call stoptech tech support and they can help you. The 895/897 is 26-28-32 and the 896 is 30-34-34 for the ST-60. You can look up the caliper model # on buybrakes on zekhausen racings website to find piston sizes that way. I'm not sure what the piston sizes are for the 896 ST40 kit.

I'm just going to suck it up and buy the proper fitting stoptech kit for my R even tho it's an extra $800 or so more vs these closeout prices.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Be mindful of the cost of replacement rotors. After digging through stoptech and centric catalogs, i found replacements for one of the 4 piston kits (325 mm rotors) were $175 apiece. The bump in performance may not be worth the increase in expendables in some situations, this is about 3x the stock rotor price and a good season is going to use up a few pair.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Be mindful of the cost of replacement rotors. After digging through stoptech and centric catalogs, i found replacements for one of the 4 piston kits (325 mm rotors) were $175 apiece. The bump in performance may not be worth the increase in expendables in some situations, this is about 3x the stock rotor price and a good season is going to use up a few pair.
You shouldn't use more than 1 rotor / year if doing 8+ track days. So in reality the only cost upgrade is the pads between st40, st-60 because they are around $100 apart.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Neuspeed uses a 28-34-36 piston size which makes it the same SA as the stoptech st-60 kit. This means you could use either factory 340 rotors or upgrade to the 370 rotors but utilize FCP replacement and never have to pay for new rotors.