GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Some SUPER good StopTech deals...if you aren't picky about the color

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just to update the thread John at Buybrakes.com reached out a few days ago and said there’s still some ST41 328mm kits for $770 and ST40 355mm $1350

I’m still loving my ST40

AR11

Ready to race!
Seems I have long missed the boat. Looks to me like Golf R part number is 896 though I don't see any 896 listed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Seems I have long missed the boat. Looks to me like Golf R part number is 896 though I don't see any 896 listed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

They never did have any 896 numbers listed. They'll likely tell you that a set for a Golf or GTI will work, but that it won't be ideal. It's up to you if you want to risk it, as there is definitely a difference in the piston sizes they provide for each application.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Urotuning stud conversion with their 19mm lugs.

I didn't see a ball seat lug nut in that style on their site. Neuspeeds are going to take the OEM R13 ball seat bolts, so if you have conical seat lugs on those wheels they aren't safely mounted FYI.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
I didn't see a ball seat lug nut in that style on their site. Neuspeeds are going to take the OEM R13 ball seat bolts, so if you have conical seat lugs on those wheels they aren't safely mounted FYI.

If you look at their stud conversion kit you can choose the nut style and then also have the option for ball seat washers. I presume that's what he did.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Just call and talk to John Butler they still have ST41 and St40 in stock.

The part numbers cross from either models (I got a mk6 kit), the only difference being brake lines which they can include the mk7 lines when you order.

896 might be the mk7 R part number, but that’s not the only caliper with the same sized pistons so you’re not “risking” anything

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
If you look at their stud conversion kit you can choose the nut style and then also have the option for ball seat washers. I presume that's what he did.

Ah I missed that, they even highlighted some text for me and I glossed over it. :eek: Not a huge fan of those washers but if they're the right radius ball seat they should be okay.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Ah I missed that, they even highlighted some text for me and I glossed over it. :eek: Not a huge fan of those washers but if they're the right radius ball seat they should be okay.

Yeah, it wouldn't be my first choice either, but if that's what he has he should be alright.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie

The part numbers cross from either models (I got a mk6 kit), the only difference being brake lines which they can include the mk7 lines when you order.

896 might be the mk7 R part number, but that’s not the only caliper with the same sized pistons so you’re not “risking” anything

They made it crystal clear when I was shopping these kits that the piston sizes were not the same. It's still an upgrade from stock and isn't likely to upset your balance in a meaningful way, but stoptech made the kits for the different cars different for a reason.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

When I was looking none of the caliper options match the sizing for the R. Which one are you saying fits?

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S

If you have ball seat wheels like Neuspeeds I do not recommend a stud conversion because you will need washers. For some reason some of my lug nuts will loosen after initial tightening so I have been checking a few days after. After one re tightening it seems fine. I think this is caused by the washers.

I would get closed ball seat lug nuts to avoid using washers but no one seems to make any that’s not black in M14. Maybe also converting to M12 would give more options.

If you want to avoid this issue you could just get a wheel speed stud that you can screw in to make wheel changes easier while using lug bolts.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
If you have ball seat wheels like Neuspeeds I do not recommend a stud conversion because you will need washers. For some reason some of my lug nuts will loosen after initial tightening so I have been checking a few days after. After one re tightening it seems fine. I think this is caused by the washers.

I would get closed ball seat lug nuts to avoid using washers but no one seems to make any that’s not black in M14. Maybe also converting to M12 would give more options.

If you want to avoid this issue you could just get a wheel speed stud that you can screw in to make wheel changes easier while using lug bolts.

Yikes. Sure sounds like one more thing to worry about.

Mine are even harder to find since I have OZ's that take R12 ball seat. I just ended up sticking with bolts.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

Lol? What would you even use washers for? Sounds like user error to me.