GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Some randomly hard shifts in my wife's TSI 6 speed auto

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Wife's 2015 Golf SE Sport (April 2014 build) has about 54k miles on it. Transmission fluid service was done 10k miles early, without replacing filter, at 40k by the dealership (They claim VW recommends to replace filter at 80-100k at the second transmission service so I went with it). Car is daily driven but all maintenance is kept up on or done early.

Randomly experiencing some hard shifts. Is this the solenoids f'n up? I thought I had read that was supposed to have been fixed with the newer revisions of this AISIN 6 speed auto using smaller solenoids.

Anything I can try to calm it down?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Do ylthe transmission reset. This way it will learn her driving style. I dont remember all of the steps off hand, but a google search will surely find it. It's like key on but not running, press pedal to the floor and hold it. You may have to do it three times. I dont remember exactly. This will reset the trans back to factory settings. If the previous owner drove it very aggressively, it can behave harsh. And yes, they fixed the old issues with the smaller solenoids

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Do ylthe transmission reset.

If the previous owner drove it very aggressively, it can behave harsh. And yes, they fixed the old issues with the smaller solenoids

I'll poke around and see what I can find. Nothing that can be done with OBDEleven?

There was no previous owner... She's had the car for all 54k miles had 6 miles on it when we drove off the lot.

Good to know they fixed it, but I'd guess not beyond the realm of possibility that is can still experience a similar issue.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I'll poke around and see what I can find. Nothing that can be done with OBDEleven?

There was no previous owner... She's had the car for all 54k miles had 6 miles on it when we drove off the lot.

Good to know they fixed it, but I'd guess not beyond the realm of possibility that is can still experience a similar issue.
There is a transmission reset in OBDeleven as well. I've never done it, but there are some transmission adaptations as well

slowg0lf

Does it also jerk bad when letting off the gas in Sport mode? I have quite hard shifts too and no idea why. Happened before and after doing my trans service.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Doesn't that have a torque convertor transmission? It's not a DSG I don't think so it wouldn't shift with solenoids.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Doesn't that have a torque convertor transmission? It's not a DSG I don't think so it wouldn't shift with solenoids.
It is a torque converter automatic and it 100% uses solenoids. It's all based on fluid control and pressure. There are adjustment screws for each solenoid. Turn one way get more slip on the shift. Turn the other way and it is hard banging shifts. So there is a sweet spot in the middle

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It is a torque converter automatic and it 100% uses solenoids. It's all based on fluid control and pressure. There are adjustment screws for each solenoid. Turn one way get more slip on the shift. Turn the other way and it is hard banging shifts. So there is a sweet spot in the middle

OK. I didn't know that a torque convertor trans used solenoids. I was thinking of the solenoids that shift the clutches in the DSG. Do all brands of torque convertor trans use solenoids? Never heard of adjusting one that way.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Those are all for the older and problematic 09g. They revised the valve body on models post 13 or 14. I know all mk7 models have the new 09g.the older one had contant valve body issues. The solenoids are now smaller diameter and have adjustments. I'll find a link

red450

Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf TSI SE
I've had some random hard shifts on my '16 Golf TSI, then last Friday morning, when I shifted from Park to Reverse, it felt like it slammed into gear with a lurch and thud. The first few shifts were rough, then it seemed to improve a bit. About 20 minutes later, I got a "Error: Transmission". No error code from my scanner. I have to drop it off at the dealer in a few days. Any of you have this issue?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've had some random hard shifts on my '16 Golf TSI, then last Friday morning, when I shifted from Park to Reverse, it felt like it slammed into gear with a lurch and thud. The first few shifts were rough, then it seemed to improve a bit. About 20 minutes later, I got a "Error: Transmission". No error code from my scanner. I have to drop it off at the dealer in a few days. Any of you have this issue?
How many miles? Ever change the fluid?

red450

Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf TSI SE
71k. I just bought it last Oct, was planning on doing the trans service at 80k per service interval. Bought it with a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer.