GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Some kind of Infiniti G37

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

Yes, they are portly but in the same way a 0-60 in 2.8 and 10 sec. 1/4 mile AMG E63 tune and DP only is heavy though... They are just orders of magnitude quicker but most notable is their ability to do it effortlessly.

Having owned one, their downside after having owned German cars for years is their interior quality. The rest of that platform is brilliant and I look forward to Nissan’s upcoming VR30 based Z car.

Last edited:

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Heard they have issues shifting once you throw some power at them?

They might, I don’t know that a TCU tune exists for them. I never had any issues with it and I know AMS got into low 10s before they worked with Level10 to beef it up before pushing 9s. Now you can get a gently used 18 AWD Q50S for low 20s so they are really starting to penetrate the scene. AMS is all in on the platform and has shifted their R&D from the R35 to it. Nissan partnered with AMS for their warrantied performance hard parts plus tune. Nissan spun up a performance division for the platform and now have little baby speed shops in some of their brick and mortar Infiniti locations. It’s a good platform with great aftermarket support but as mentioned, the interior and infotainment is pretty horrid. It all looks nice but feels very cheap, like entry model chevy archaic and wonky.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
My G37xs was a portly girl. With a 370z Nismo RSB and good tires and brakes it was an enjoyable car to drive. Decently quick and handled very well. But that weight was very noticeable in the twisties. The ATESSA And TCS worked very well, but Trans shifts were sluggish In the 7mt. I always said if it was DSG I’d stil be sieving her. That said, GTI is way more fun to drive, though I do miss that red leather.

Last edited:

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Such a shame the VR never made it into the outgoing Z. The Z just feels so.... less massive than the Q and R35. If you’ve never driven an R35 before it literally feels like driving a tank, not my style at all. When the 370 is gone, people will miss it.

I love that VR, but the Infiniti marquee is just a lease and dump brand at this point. Assuming Nissan can remain a going concern, they will fix that in the Z from what I’ve read... but I’m over it at this point.

That said, at least that makes the cost to entry on the used market easy and good power potential.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Such a shame the VR never made it into the outgoing Z. The Z just feels so.... less massive than the Q and R35. If you’ve never driven an R35 before it literally feels like driving a tank, not my style at all. When the 370 is gone, people will miss it.

I love that VR, but the Infiniti marquee is just a lease and dump brand at this point. Assuming Nissan can remain a going concern, they will fix that in the Z from what I’ve read... but I’m over it at this point.

That said, at least that makes the cost to entry on the used market easy and good power potential.

Yeah, great points. I can’t think of a better bang for the buck given their abysmal depreciation after 20k miles, which does bottom out thankfully, but that initial wallop turns a 2 year old 45k MSRP into a low $20k CPO bargain. Pretty much parity with German cars minus P. It’s insane that you can go AMS FBO with a tune and keep your warranty. Ironically Nissan sourced AMS parts are cheaper from a Nissan/Infiniti dealer than AMS direct.

The VR is headed into the next Z which I view as the 5th gen Supra’s real potential competition. At that point the aftermarket following will continue to back-feed all VR based cars in their lineup further benefiting those in the Q series.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Did a pull with a g35 earlier, they have a little less power than the g37 but also they're lighter and this one had some work done... exhaust at the least. I started yelling stuff bc I kept having to let off throttle lol. Was kinda disappointed, expected the VQ to be quicker

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
They're not that quick. My Stage 1 Golf slowly walked a stock g35, so your GTI should have no issues at all with it.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Ya...how is that even considered stage 1? lmao
unless he's referring to a previous setup

Navi

Autocross Champion
The Q60S/Q50S is an absolute beast that keeps getting better. My Q60 RS AWD made 460hp/499tq to the ground with basic bolt-ons and a mild tune. I'd steer clear of them. I've been in a buddies stage 2 MK7 R and it felt like a peppy toy compared to my violently quick Q60. That said, I love my current MK7 R but their truly is no comparison from a roll or dig (if Q is AWD) if both platforms are modified. If you stayed with him, they were surely bone stock and it wasn't a red sport (400hp from the factory vs. 300 on the 3.0T yet only real difference is the OEM tuning).

Build here: https://www.infinitiq60.org/threads/staying_tuneds-2018-q60-rs-build.15138/
Dyno: https://www.infinitiq60.org/threads/staying_tuneds-2018-q60-rs-build.15138/#lg=thread-15138&slide=9 (Again this was a mild tune with a catted DP. Easy 600tq to the ground with a catless DP)

Did it look like this from the rear?

do they still sound like 2003 350Z? Or they sound better now?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The new twin turbos sound better. The naturally aspirated VQ still sounds exactly the same. Like the STI, nothing has changed in 20 years.

I'm not an exhaust guy. I've never given a shit what my car "Sounds" like, aside from hearing the turbo. With that said - The VQ is my favorite OEM exhaust of all time. It's just so damn distinctive, I remember playing basketball with my best friend in high school and hearing a VQ cold start like all the way down the block and I was just taken aback. Never heard such a unique exhaust note from an OEM car that's not like 60K+

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm not an exhaust guy. I've never given a shit what my car "Sounds" like, aside from hearing the turbo. With that said - The VQ is my favorite OEM exhaust of all time. It's just so damn distinctive, I remember playing basketball with my best friend in high school and hearing a VQ cold start like all the way down the block and I was just taken aback. Never heard such a unique exhaust note from an OEM car that's not like 60K+
That was the S54 for me. Sounded broken, mad and glorious, all at the same time. Individual throttle bodies, nice, high redline, who cares that you had to shim the valves?