GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SOLVED! What is this Square sensor/antenna attached to my rear crash bar under the bumper skin?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks Dave! If so, why isn’t there one on both sides? My car has blind spot monitoring on both sides but this antenna is only on the passenger side. Based on that, I don’t think it’s a blind spot thing.

I have the ERWIN workshop manuals & that's what a blind spot monitor looks like & its position......& I've checked all the positions of all the other electronics on the factory options...so not park assist, or other antennas..

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
Excellent! Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

I’m really surprised that it’s placed asymmetrically like that.

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
DE and MD are high on my list. I’m not from that area but love it there. Mild winters and still close to friends and family.

PA side of the Delaware is now western NJ. You need to go past Bethlehem in order to keep costs down. A little too Pennsultucky for me.

Yeah I don’t do winters well, and my wife doesn’t do summers well. We have actually considered Europe for the weather. We can deal with a little rain for a temperate zone.
Good thinking on MD and DE.

As for PA west of Allentown, it’s definitely not NJ but it does have a lot of nice scenery and rolling terrain.

I love Europe too, but from a cost of living standpoint it would be enormously worse than NJ. It’s just plain exorbitant unless you’re in the old Eastern Bloc.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Excellent! Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

I’m really surprised that it’s placed asymmetrically like that.

Actually I'm wrong.....

Had another look...the black plastic to the right etc should be for the Blind spot monitor to mount on.....so no idea.......GPS tracker??.......or has that unit been mounted incorrectly??...

Blind spot monitor.jpg

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
I agree that it is not the blindspot monitor after looking at the diagram you posted.

The blindspot monitor parts that you identified are on my GTI and marked in yellow on my photo below.

The part that I am trying to identify is circled in green.

Thank you again Dave.

27B90E11-1467-4CD9-9613-B416D646A3C0.jpeg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I agree that it is not the blindspot monitor after looking at the diagram you posted.

The blindspot monitor parts that you identified are on my GTI and marked in yellow on my photo below.

The part that I am trying to identify is circled in green.

Thank you again Dave.

View attachment 219171

I've had another look through the MK7.5 "Electrics" ERWIN book which lists all the sensors & still have NO idea WTF that is...:confused:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
FOUND IT!!...

They moved the aerials on the MK7 to new positions on the MK7.5...

Item No7 here:-

Aerial Systems pg1.jpg

Aerial Systems pg2.jpg

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
‘21 GTI S 6MT
Eureka! That’s it.

LTE / GSM are cellular so this must be for VW Car-Net, which is IOT (Internet Of Things) cellular technology and installed on my car.

Thank you again Dave!

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Good thinking on MD and DE.

As for PA west of Allentown, it’s definitely not NJ but it does have a lot of nice scenery and rolling terrain.

I love Europe too, but from a cost of living standpoint it would be enormously worse than NJ. It’s just plain exorbitant unless you’re in the old Eastern Bloc.
The Chesapeake bay was a great call. That’s a new focus.

The portion of PA along the Delaware is so pricey now. But you’re correct in the scenery. I loved riding up there.

it was more of a retirement dream. It is pricey, but well worth the chance to see more of it while you’re there.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Eureka! That’s it.

LTE / GSM are cellular so this must be for VW Car-Net, which is IOT (Internet Of Things) cellular technology and installed on my car.

Thank you again Dave!

Your first picture had me a bit confused..the second picture which showed the whole rear helped as I saw the Blind spot monitoring sensors then the unknown black box....what helped was in that picture there is also a set of studs on the left side of the crash bar meaning the black box was a factory fit item which could be fitted on the other side, or another one to make a pair.....& then I noticed in your sig you have a Mk7.5....so I looked for the specific workshop sections which were different for the MK7.5 compared to MK7...

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I am! You are reading my wall of plates I see…

I lived in Northern and Central NJ from 1988 to 2001 - Edison, New Brunswick, and then Hoboken. I still miss it and I’ve been here in FL for 20 years now. I love my wife, my native NJ wife loves it here, and that’s that.

FL is beautiful, but it’s just not my place if that makes any sense at all. I miss the intensity of NJ, real cities, northeastern woods, changeable weather, and hills. I’d like to have a place in Union or Essex County or maybe way up in Bergen County.

Seasonal would be great to get the best of both states but it’s difficult and expensive to make that work.

Which NJ are you from? North? Northwest? Central? South? Shore? They’re all really different places. NJ is way under-appreciated and mostly misunderstood by outsiders.
NJ represent.