GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

[SOLVED] Buzzing/Humming noise on acceleration.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
I've had my 2013 MK7 for a couple of years and one thing which continually bothers me is the hum/buzz that I get when accelerating. I've seen some suggestions of fuel pipes rattling, TDi wastegate rattle etc but it doesn't fit any of the noises I've heard or I've seen described.

The sound is like a muffled humming, doesn't change pitch with engine or road speed, it's a constant 'zzzzzzzz' whenever you're on the accelerator, not necessarily on boost, and goes away immediately after you lift off the throttle. Seems to be coming from the dash area, I'd say probably over towards the passenger side (left hand side, RHD UK vehicle).

Any suggestions?

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
maybe check the sliding cover on the underside of the center armrest. Mine actually broke during the process of finding out that's what was buzzing. It's a super cheap piece that does nothing. Pretty sure I threw it away.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Push on your dash trim bezel at the top next to the vents above the radio screen, listen for a click, that will be the sound of you seating in a clip that was not all the way in. It will buzz/hum like no other if not seated all the way in.

Don't ask how I know that.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
I've been out and checked both of the things suggested, neither has solved the issue. My wife sitting in the passenger seat says she thinks it's coming from at the front of the dash, like right where the windscreen meets the dash.

I said it sounds like someone saying 'hoooooooo!' and she sort of agrees (after laughing :ROFLMAO: ).

Anything in the engine bay which activates when you press the accelerator and deactivates when you let off? I'm not all that familiar with the 150 bhp TDi, but I am very familiar with most earlier TDi's before the common rail.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Is soundaktor on this model ? If it is the module is mounted to the firewall I believe.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
I've been searching the forums for this noise and couldn't find anything, on pure chance I just searched YouTube and have found what sounds like the exact noise! It's this;

From the video comments it suggests it's the N75 boost control valve bracket which is on the firewall, certainly would tie-in with what I'm hearing.

Is soundaktor on this model ? If it is the module is mounted to the firewall I believe.
Good suggestion also, I'll check that later, any idea where the soundaktor is located in VCDS?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Not in VCDS, but I know in OBD11 its in Central Electronics.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Just unplug it first to see if it cures the problem only takes 30 seconds to see if it stops the noise.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
I pulled the N75 off the bracket that holds it onto the firewall and just allowed it to hang down on the hoses and wires, the noise is gone completely so looks like that was the issue, however I can't see why it would be happening in the first place. It's not touching anything so the noise must be going through the mounting rubbers.

Maybe the N75 is just noisy.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
I looked at this more yesterday, I think I worked out where the noise comes from. In the picture below you can see that the two big washers are facing inwards like this [ ]

When I investigated how it attached to the bracket, I found that the washers could possibly touch the metalwork at the very edge.

IMG20221228192540.jpg

I rearranged the washers in the sequence seem below, basically turning the washers around so that they faced outwards like this ] [

IMG20221228192553.jpg

This keeps the network apart, after refitting the noise is still gone. I had to add a thick metal M6 washer but this wasn't a problem.

IMG20221228192655.jpg

This is how it looks after modification, before fitting to the N75 valve.

Hyndo11

Car(s)
1.6 tdi mk7
I looked at this more yesterday, I think I worked out where the noise comes from. In the picture below you can see that the two big washers are facing inwards like this [ ]

When I investigated how it attached to the bracket, I found that the washers could possibly touch the metalwork at the very edge.

View attachment 269073

I rearranged the washers in the sequence seem below, basically turning the washers around so that they faced outwards like this ] [

View attachment 269072

This keeps the network apart, after refitting the noise is still gone. I had to add a thick metal M6 washer but this wasn't a problem.

View attachment 269074

This is how it looks after modification, before fitting to the N75 valve.
Hey, I’m getting the exact same noise on my golf that I’ve just bought and it’s doing my head in! Are you about to give me an idiots guide to where the n75 valve is? Thanks In advance

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Hey, I’m getting the exact same noise on my golf that I’ve just bought and it’s doing my head in! Are you about to give me an idiots guide to where the n75 valve is? Thanks In advance

Thanks to a stanger on the internet and the power of MS Paint, it's in the area circled in Yellow on the following picture.

golf-tdi-engine.jpg

Good luck! Let me know if it resolves your issue, mine's been perfect since I did the washer flip mod.

Hyndo11

Car(s)
1.6 tdi mk7
Thanks to a stanger on the internet and the power of MS Paint, it's in the area circled in Yellow on the following picture.

View attachment 304693

Good luck! Let me know if it resolves your issue, mine's been perfect since I did the washer flip mod.
Fixed! I never would’ve found that myself. My issue was the two bolts vibrating on the inserts rather than the washers you mentioned. Absolutely delighted as it’s been pissing me off since I bought the car 😂. Thanks mate 👍🏻😀

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Wow, hard to believe that was the culprit given it's all tightened down sufficiently with rubber in the sandwich. Good call and kudos to the YouTube video!