GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So...

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
...Went to get my GTI serviced at my local VW dealer today.

One of the sales guys, who frequents my second job (starbucks), and has been trying to get me to trade my car in for the longest time handed me keys (let it also be said we're friends with each other) for a Golf R. So while my oil was getting changed, I figured, 'why not?' I jumped in and took a 19 R (Lapiz Blue, DSG) for a spin.

All I can say is: HOLY COW! Handling with the DCC was immaculate, the AWD most definitely keeps you planted at high speeds and any type of cornering. My big complaint with the transmission would be the latency in shifting up/down gears. I would assume a tune would be able to correct all of that, no problem.

I may or may not have done 120 chasing a guy on a motorcycle who cut me off getting back on HWY-52 and started doing wheelies to taunt me. Needless to say when he realized I was behind him doing 120 and I looked down and still had two gears to go, he kinda shit himself and pushed harder to get away. That was also the time that my sales friend was like 'Hey...you might wanna back off.'

Great moment. Most definitely. But my question, and why I'm here, is: Is that why people go DSG over 6MT, other than pure convenience and everyone being able to use the car. After the drive I got to thinking; it might be a good idea to look into trading up to At least a DSG GTI, so that my fiance could drive, and when I become a father I can be more attentive to my kids if its just me and them. Not having to work the clutch might save me a bit of time.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
...Went to get my GTI serviced at my local VW dealer today.

One of the sales guys, who frequents my second job (starbucks), and has been trying to get me to trade my car in for the longest time handed me keys (let it also be said we're friends with each other) for a Golf R. So while my oil was getting changed, I figured, 'why not?' I jumped in and took a 19 R (Lapiz Blue, DSG) for a spin.

All I can say is: HOLY COW! Handling with the DCC was immaculate, the AWD most definitely keeps you planted at high speeds and any type of cornering. My big complaint with the transmission would be the latency in shifting up/down gears. I would assume a tune would be able to correct all of that, no problem.

I may or may not have done 120 chasing a guy on a motorcycle who cut me off getting back on HWY-52 and started doing wheelies to taunt me. Needless to say when he realized I was behind him doing 120 and I looked down and still had two gears to go, he kinda shit himself and pushed harder to get away. That was also the time that my sales friend was like 'Hey...you might wanna back off.'

Great moment. Most definitely. But my question, and why I'm here, is: Is that why people go DSG over 6MT, other than pure convenience and everyone being able to use the car. After the drive I got to thinking; it might be a good idea to look into trading up to At least a DSG GTI, so that my fiance could drive, and when I become a father I can be more attentive to my kids if its just me and them. Not having to work the clutch might save me a bit of time.

Is what the reason people go DSG over 6mt? Being able to go fast without realizing how fast you are going?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is what the reason people go DSG over 6mt? Being able to go fast without realizing how fast you are going?

No. The manual guys for the most part consider a DSG to be inferior. I used to be a manual guy. There was a time when I felt the same way.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
No. The manual guys for the most part consider a DSG to be inferior. I used to be a manual guy. There was a time when I felt the same way.

So what is the "why" the OP is referring to...? From a roll there is very little advantage to a dsg, nothing that would be perceptible to a driver without instrumentation. On a highway it'd be less than a car length until you're well past go directly to jail speeds. The DSG makes its money on the launch so to speak.

The performance difference between the DSG and Manual is also much wider in the R than the GTI.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So what is the "why" the OP is referring to...? From a roll there is very little advantage to a dsg, nothing that would be perceptible to a driver without instrumentation. On a highway it'd be less than a car length until you're well past go directly to jail speeds. The DSG makes its money on the launch so to speak.

The performance difference between the DSG and Manual is also much wider in the R than the GTI.

The DSG makes it's money, as you say, every time it shifts also. I can't tell you how many close races I've had against a manual and every time he shifted I pulled away more. Nobody can shift a manual as fast as a DSG shifts.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
The DSG makes it's money, as you say, every time it shifts also. I can't tell you how many close races I've had against a manual and every time he shifted I pulled away more. Nobody can shift a manual as fast as a DSG shifts.

My manual probably saw as much if not more track time than any manual R over the last 3 years (except maybe Guzman's but I doubt it). In the half mile the gap with similar DSG cars was less than a car length over a measured full half mile from a roll (40mph- ~135-140mph) in my losses plus a decent sized gap in my win and both cars made more power than mine. I got absolutely walked from a dig.

APR Stage 2 DSG- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XPxmXjGdyQ

UM Stage 2 DSG- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo4OKDhAqAc

Same UM Stage 2 DSG second race (Shifting faster than that dsg...)- https://youtu.be/1vMikL00W8M

and in the 1/4

Same DSG R as the second/third half mile video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcKSIZLlNyk

Not saying they aren't faster, but no one's butt dyno is picking up that difference dailying the car unless they launch it non stop, which is what I said originally. Now I miss my car. Time to go shopping for a new 7 speed.

Last edited:

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Well first of all, what mode were you in. The problem with people test driving the DSG is that it defaults to the standard drive mode. I find no lag at all in Race mode and the Trans in S. So before you make a judgement on the DSG, try it in the right driving mode.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Oh god.... Grab the popcorn, its another Manual vs. DSG thread.

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
Oh......and give us the name of the dealer so we can purchase a Golf R that's already had its drive gear.... "broken in".

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
What's funny is there are 2 MT vs DSG threads going at the same time here in the R subforum lol

and about 400 locked ones in the general discussion section haha

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Oh......and give us the name of the dealer so we can purchase a Golf R that's already had its drive gear.... "broken in".

Oh heavens, someone did a few pulls! Cars definitely ruined, and OP is a racist!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
if you love manual currently, you will miss it. I certainly did going from a manual 7 to a DSG 6. Went back to a manual 7 after 2-3 years of kicking myself.

R might be a little different but really only for those who love launching hard