GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, where can one go for a primer in turbo/boost/tune parlance?

donJimenez

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GSW 1.8t

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I read about trims, FOL, afr, etc and have no idea what it means, except it can blow your engine.
Those are all JB4 related terms. As you know, the JB4 is a way you can increase boost, but it's really not how the ECU actually works. The JB4 is just a fancy boost controller.

Just keep in mind it takes air+fuel+timing to make power. You use as much air as possible while keeping compressor happy, then you make sure you add enough fuel, then you advance timing as much as you can. That's really all there is.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I read about trims, FOL, afr, etc and have no idea what it means, except it can blow your engine.
FOL is fueling open loop: It's really just the JB4 lying about the fuel pressure value so the car raises fuel pressure.

Trims: You want this value under 45. This is value is essentially how hard the car is trying to correct for a fuel target discrepancy. In my experience, after 50, you'll start missing lambda (fuel) targets.

AFR: You want to be in the 13s while in boost, 12s are even better. You're limited based on the base ECU flash.

DME_BT: is the value the ECU is programmed to run

Boost: Is the pressure value at the intake manifold.

Target: That's the value the JB4 wants to run or add.