GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So what can I do about this piano black trim?

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
While piano black trim looks good in theory, its a PITA to keep clean / scratch free. I'm just curious as to what others have done? I actually really like the textured trim my friend has in his '17 S. I've searched high and low for trim kits that account for my 8" glass display - but they don't seem to exist.

Thoughts?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
They don't make the 8 inch glass trim kit in the textured CF. (GTI owner looking to update to the 8 inch glass). Best I've found is taking all the trim off, and wrapping it in whatever style you want.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've had both trims, greatly prefer the piano black. The textured trim is impossible to keep clean, it always looks streaky, just like the door trim they still use. You can polish piano black with a light polish, I use either Meguiars Scratch X or Chemical Guys VSS as needed, but really haven't had to do much correction. Just wipe it with either water or a rinseless wash diluted in water and a microfiber towel.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
I've never understood why this is such a problem. There's literally nothing "piano black" that requires touching, which is the only way you get scratches.

I keep a nice fluffy microfiber in my driver's door pocket and occasionally, usually while at a stoplight, I will lightly pass it over the trim to dust it off and all of my trim continues to look perfect.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Use an interior detail spray that's anti-static and helps the surfaces (including the stupid glossy touchscreen) collect dust at a slower pace. Really make a difference.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I've never understood why this is such a problem. There's literally nothing "piano black" that requires touching, which is the only way you get scratches.

I keep a nice fluffy microfiber in my driver's door pocket and occasionally, usually while at a stoplight, I will lightly pass it over the trim to dust it off and all of my trim continues to look perfect.
Haha, I didn’t want to respond before with the simple solution “don’t touch it” but that’s the solution... why are we putting our hands all over the piano black trims anyways ?.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Wrap or plastidip. Either way, it's not going to look great.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
You could paint the trim. Or wrap in Corinthian leather. :D

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Yeah, I expected there wasn’t a great option. Guess I get to deal with the dust.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
go all out and have it wrapped with self healing ppf? then when you want it to look brand new just hit it with detail spray then a heat gun

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I mean, if you're really into the textured 17 gti, swap the interior bits and the display with the 17 ones.

I think the biggest problem is that there isn't an available surround for the newer radio with the older trim. Every other part is a direct replacement. Funny, as I would have paid dearly to replace the old trim with piano black before my 17 was totaled.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
that's why i suggested swap the full display (as in the big glassy bit that the interior trim goes around too) and the interior bits from the 17 gti, not just one or the other. ;)

Ha, okay, missed that. That's certainly a level of commitment!