GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So my 37k mile engine probably needs a head (NOPE, MOTOR!)...

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Update 12/22/10 - car is back to me after 7 weeks to the day.

Update 12/1/20 - New motor. See post #28.

Update 11/11/20 - Got email this morning that head replacement was approved yesterday afternoon.
Just over 10% loss in cyl 3, but the rest only had 1-2%. Compression was 165-170 in all, except cyl 3 which was reading a hair below 150. Overall these numbers don’t seem super low based on my reading but I guess at 37k miles there was cause enough for them to go ahead with repair while I still have powertrain warranty.

I’ve asked for a more explanation as to why they feel it’s head vs rings/valves, but I’m sure they would have gone through the steps to properly determine that.

Original Post:
37k on my 2017 Sport. 5k OCI with M1 0w-40 aside from the factory fill and first one after that because I had some Liqui Moly at that time already.

Before going EQT, I did an oil change and was going to put in RS7 plugs and do a compression check.
  1. Noticed cam cover leaking at the rear of the motor and a little at the front.
  2. Compression was borderline in spec on 1-2-4, like 155ish avg and a little lower on 3.
  3. I have been consuming ~1qt of oil every 5k for quite some time, but it doesn’t seem to be getting worse.
  4. On rare occasion, I back out of my driveway and put the DSG into drive the car hesitates, and doesn’t feel like it goes into gear.
Decided it was probably a good idea to get these things checked and addressed before I tuned (I’d ordered everything and had the AP I purchased second hand, I’m not driving a lot, I can wait a little longer to tune no biggie) because I still have some warranty left, so I contacted the dealer. Spoke to my SA and he said the cam cover leak is covered, just bring it on in later that day, so I did around 3pm. I let him know about the other issues I felt I was having.

I got a call about 2 hours later from the Service Director telling me they have concerns about cyl 3 after doing a leak down test, he wasn’t specific and I was so caught off guard I didn’t ask what the exact results were (I’ll try to get them), and are likely going to need to replace the head. He wanted to ask me if the car was tuned before he sent a scan to VW and opened a tech line request because, “I don’t want to TD1 you.” Exceedingly nice of him and I think he’d do that for any customer, he’s that type of guy.

As of this morning I’ve not heard anything more but I have my uneasy feelings about all of this. I just hope everything will be good. My automotive luck has not been stellar in the last 4-5 years.

Not sure what I want to do now, tuning wise, but man... weird times!

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's not the head they would have to replace because of low compression in cylinder 3 it's the block. But you're under warranty and haven't tuned it so you should be fine.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It's not the head they would have to replace because of low compression in cylinder 3 it's the block. But you're under warranty and haven't tuned it so you should be fine.

That depends where the compression is going. Certainly could be the head.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Service director specifically mentioned the head but only time will tell. I’m really hoping I hear something today. I will certainly keep the post updated.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
This thread is lacking some critical detail, of which you don't have yet, but i'm on the edge of my seat here. Keep us looped in.

1) very smart move to address known issues prior to tuning, so kudo's there
2) low miles for a (possible) new head, but sh** happens.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Certainly possible but isn't it piston rings more often than not? Either way he's under warranty.

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Heads can leak for sure. But whats the deal with the QT of oil lol? If that was normal there would be a 1000 GTI's in the junkyard right now from the people who never change there oil.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Heads can leak for sure. But whats the deal with the QT of oil lol? If that was normal there would be a 1000 GTI's in the junkyard right now from the people who never change there oil.

Right? And I was religious about 5k OCI with approved oil. Edited original post to indicate.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
if a valve is bent or has a bad seal, you'll get compression loss through the head. but with the the engine burning oil like OP says it is, it may be the rings, or a combination of both.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
No, It’s a 2017, so 502. Oil info is in beginning of original post.
Wow it’s literally the first sentence. Mind you I actually read your post too. I dunno how I freaking missed that. Sorry.

I thought it was impressive that you only added 1 qt of vw508 per 5k miles. Seems like you weren’t even on 508 LOL.

smart idea taking care of the issues before tuning btw. I hope the dealer has your back on the repair dude.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I hope the dealer has your back on the repair dude.

Thanks. Since my wife and I met we’ve owned 7 VWs, 5 warranty serviced there. Generally good and very friendly staff, and fair/honest service practices in my experience. Pricey, but it’s a dealer in Silicon Valley so I expect them to be.
They even have (had?) some old school techs on staff too, guys that’ll work on busses and beetles and older stuff. Some of their techs have been poached by VW to become regional guys and I guess they’re a shop known for that.

They aren’t infallible, and they have definitely screwed up a once or twice at this dealership across 5 cars, but overall I trust them and believe they do have my best interest in mind with this repair. Evidenced by his courtesy call about not wanting to TD1 my car because he knows I tinker.
When I first started going there years ago he told me, “Just be honest with us when you bring your car here and we will do what we can for you every time. Don’t send us on wild goose chases because you tuned the car and blew something up, just tell us thats what happened and we’ll work with you best we can.”

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks. Since my wife and I met we’ve owned 7 VWs, 5 warranty serviced there. Generally good and very friendly staff, and fair/honest service practices in my experience. Pricey, but it’s a dealer in Silicon Valley so I expect them to be.
They even have (had?) some old school techs on staff too, guys that’ll work on busses and beetles and older stuff. Some of their techs have been poached by VW to become regional guys and I guess they’re a shop known for that.

They aren’t infallible, and they have definitely screwed up a once or twice at this dealership across 5 cars, but overall I trust them and believe they do have my best interest in mind with this repair. Evidenced by his courtesy call about not wanting to TD1 my car because he knows I tinker.
When I first started going there years ago he told me, “Just be honest with us when you bring your car here and we will do what we can for you every time. Don’t send us on wild goose chases because you tuned the car and blew something up, just tell us thats what happened and we’ll work with you best we can.”

Hell of a dealer. Your loyalty is obviously important to them.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

Sounds like I need to be jealous of u LOL. I’m glad your gonna get a fair shake!