GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So long Baby.. Another '15 Bricked

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Welp. Story starts about 2 weeks ago. So excited to install my new twin disk dkm. 7/14 Mexico 2015 MT.

Well about 2/3 into break in I start to get a rattling sound when pressing the pedal. Chalked it up to normal break in.. All of a sudden out of nowhere I turn car on and ..

Low Oil Pressure Warning
Crankshaft position camshaft position correlation failure
Oil pressure switch 3

It seems that a MASSIVE amount of 7/14 Mexican GTIs have gone out. Of course warranty is useless (fbo is38 car). What dya know.. thrust bearing failure slowly.. yet another bites the dust..

It's fkn ridiculous that they obviously screwed these up yet have no recall on their mistake. So all of us tuned are basically SoL (in before pay to play cliche).

If you own a 7/14 Mexico build date MT TRADE IT asap!!! This is now almost a dozen recorded forum cases and who knows how many unrecorded!

It explains so much though..

Pedal sticking when making sharp right turns (but never down )
1st gear sounding like engine about to shred itself 4k+

The DKM clutch SMFW quickly destroyed the remaining thrust bearing imperfection. If you own a 2015 MT GTI I highly reccomended going DMFW if you're going to keep the car. They are not designed to be used with smfw and obviously will mess them up its just a matter of when.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have personally experienced this locally. If you’re under 60k take it to a dealership as his was covered and no TD1 (known issue, no scan)

Car I’m referring to was Revo stage 2, FBO. The car actually blew up in the dealerships possession

littco

Ready to race!
Thrust bearings fail due to the clutch in on start. If you get the interlock function disabled so the the clutch doesn't need to be pressed on start ( when there is no oil pressure) then the problem doesn't occur.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Thrust bearings fail due to the clutch in on start. If you get the interlock function disabled so the the clutch doesn't need to be pressed on start ( when there is no oil pressure) then the problem doesn't occur.

Can you please explain how this works? If the trans isn't in gear on start does it matter?

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
The DKM clutch SMFW quickly destroyed the remaining thrust bearing imperfection. If you own a 2015 MT GTI I highly reccomended going DMFW if you're going to keep the car. They are not designed to be used with smfw and obviously will mess them up its just a matter of when.

Major bummer but good tip for other 2015 MT owners. Like others have said, I'd still try the dealer.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Can you please explain how this works? If the trans isn't in gear on start does it matter?

No, the load is from the clutch itself being depressed.

It makes sense, you're putting thrust on the crankshaft during startup when there is no oil pressure. Factor in a known bearing problem and thousands of starts over time. The heavier the spring pressure in the clutch, the more of a load.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
It makes me laugh when Scotty Kilmer says that MT VW’s are semi reliable, but DSG is the most unreliable transmission ever made, when that couldn’t be further from the truth, lmao. I’ve literally heard of pretty much zero DSG issues here. Their are more issues online with the trans in our Toyota RAV4, LOL.

Last edited:

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
It makes me laugh when Scotty Kilmer says that MT VW’s are semi reliable, but DSG is the most unreliable transmission ever made, when that couldn’t be further from the truth, lmao. I’ve literally heard of pretty much zero DSG issues here.
F you for jinxing us. lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Welp. Story starts about 2 weeks ago. So excited to install my new twin disk dkm. 7/14 Mexico 2015 MT.

Well about 2/3 into break in I start to get a rattling sound when pressing the pedal. Chalked it up to normal break in.. All of a sudden out of nowhere I turn car on and ..

Low Oil Pressure Warning

Crankshaft position camshaft position correlation failure

Oil pressure switch 3

It seems that a MASSIVE amount of 7/14 Mexican GTIs have gone out. Of course warranty is useless (fbo is38 car). What dya know.. thrust bearing failure slowly.. yet another bites the dust..

It's fkn ridiculous that they obviously screwed these up yet have no recall on their mistake. So all of us tuned are basically SoL (in before pay to play cliche).

If you own a 7/14 Mexico build date MT TRADE IT asap!!! This is now almost a dozen recorded forum cases and who knows how many unrecorded!

It explains so much though..

Pedal sticking when making sharp right turns (but never down )

1st gear sounding like engine about to shred itself 4k+

Sucks man, sorry for your luck, makes me even more glad I traded in my 6mt for my dsg, take it to the dealer, worse they could do is say no

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Damn Twist, I’m sorry to hear that, best of luck to you.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
It makes me laugh when Scotty Kilmer says that MT VW’s are semi reliable, but DSG is the most unreliable transmission ever made, when that couldn’t be further from the truth, lmao. I’ve literally heard of pretty much zero DSG issues here. Their are more issues online with the trans in our Toyota RAV4, LOL.
That dude is so whacky to begin with.

Sorry to hear about this, Twist.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion

Yea, the DSG is one of the best transmissions in a 30k car, if I didn't want a manual the GTI + DSG is the way to go. It is solid, not being a manual is it's only problem :D:rolleyes: