GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So July Then

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Contacted (reasonably) local (often ) friendly (usually) helpfull VW dealer and was informed "run out Mk7.5 factory-built Golfs will be available from mid-July onwards in limited numbers, once they are gone, they are gone" and presumably will be no more. I'm not in any rush as apart from still being in now semi-lockdown I will select a new Golf on PCP, almost certainly a Mk7.5 as I'm still not 'getting', as in getting into or digging, the Mk8. I mean for starters the Polo's interior shouldn't look better than that of the Golf but in the case of the Mk8, it does IMO....

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@Genegenie; a UK forum member over on golfgtiforum.co.uk. has very recently received confirmation that his mk7.5 Golf GTI TCR has been built and is in transit. Build of their car was delayed because of the Wolfsburg factory temporary closure due to COVID-19 - they should have got their car late March / early April.

As most UK Golfs are built to customer’s specific requirements and very few built for general VW stock, I daresay that most - if not all - of the remaining mk7.5 Golf production destined for the UK will be cars that are fulfilling existing outstanding customer orders.

VW UK’s website does state that the mk7.5 Golf is available from existing stock only, so that does tend to confirm all mk7.5 production for the UK has probably now stopped, with the exception of the last few outstanding ‘built to order’ customer cars. So if you’re hoping to get one of the last run-out cars from stock you probably need to act fairly soon if you have specific requirements in relation to model, colour, spec, engine, transmission etc.

I‘m with you on the mk8; I hoped it would grow on me but it hasn’t. A link to an interesting YouTube video was recently posted on golfgtiforum.co.uk highlighting the cost cutting measures on the mk8 compared to the mk7.5. The reviewer was quite brutally honest with some of his comments, which in my opinion makes a refreshing change to the comments from some motoring journalists. Worth a watch;

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
He's not wrong, I've also thought about the Golf 8 again and I'm still not keen. The exterior has grown on me a bit and if the centre screen and vents swapped position as on the Polo, like I hoped they would, and the physical buttons retained I'd be having a serious chat with VW, at the moment it's a 'no' for me. Just to comment on price point / luxury, in the UK at least VWs and Golfs and in particular and not cheap compared to, say Ford, Citroen, Vauxhall, etc but you makes your choice, pays your money & tends to get what you pays for. Reckon VW will already make some changes in the future on, say Mk8.5 or so, but gotta say while I do like the Mk8 steering wheel buttons, so far that's about it I'm afraid....

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
@Genegenie; a UK forum member over on golfgtiforum.co.uk. has very recently received confirmation that his mk7.5 Golf GTI TCR has been built and is in transit. Build of their car was delayed because of the Wolfsburg factory temporary closure due to COVID-19 - they should have got their car late March / early April.

As most UK Golfs are built to customer’s specific requirements and very few built for general VW stock, I daresay that most - if not all - of the remaining mk7.5 Golf production destined for the UK will be cars that are fulfilling existing outstanding customer orders.

VW UK’s website does state that the mk7.5 Golf is available from existing stock only, so that does tend to confirm all mk7.5 production for the UK has probably now stopped, with the exception of the last few outstanding ‘built to order’ customer cars. So if you’re hoping to get one of the last run-out cars from stock you probably need to act fairly soon if you have specific requirements in relation to model, colour, spec, engine, transmission etc.

I‘m with you on the mk8; I hoped it would grow on me but it hasn’t. A link to an interesting YouTube video was recently posted on golfgtiforum.co.uk highlighting the cost cutting measures on the mk8 compared to the mk7.5. The reviewer was quite brutally honest with some of his comments, which in my opinion makes a refreshing change to the comments from some motoring journalists. Worth a watch;

That video was posted in another thread and someone mentioned that the video was comparing a MK7.5 R to the MK8 base GTI. Not an equal comparison.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I hate any car that you can see a huge tablet on the dash as it drives towards you.

Hopefully, either I have a few years to get over this and accept it. Or, manufacturers will realize the horror of it all and put that shit back in the dash.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That video was posted in another thread and someone mentioned that the video was comparing a MK7.5 R to the MK8 base GTI. Not an equal comparison.

While that's true, I feel many of the complaints will carry over to the GTI\R models.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
it's not even a base GTI, it's a regular Golf. A Golf R and a Base Golf will never be comparable.
That might be so, but the cost cutting areas highlighted will almost certainly be common across the entire mk8 model range irrespective of model / trim level - all models will have no physical interior buttons for basic functions, no lined glove box, no sliding cover for the cup holders etc, etc. So IMO the comparisons made of the items in the video are perfectly valid.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
That might be so, but the cost cutting areas highlighted will almost certainly be common across the entire mk8 model range irrespective of model / trim level - all models will have no physical interior buttons for basic functions, no lined glove box, no sliding cover for the cup holders etc, etc. So IMO the comparisons made of the items in the video are perfectly valid.
respectfully disagree, I expect the GTI and definitely the R will have a more premium experience. I believe the felt lined glove box has been gone for some time now anyway and the GTI never had sliding cup holder cover (pointless IMO anyway).

I reserve my right to change my mind, but no point in speculating until we see the final product. For all we know the MK8 R might still have hood struts.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
respectfully disagree, I expect the GTI and definitely the R will have a more premium experience. I believe the felt lined glove box has been gone for some time now anyway and the GTI never had sliding cup holder cover (pointless IMO anyway).

I reserve my right to change my mind, but no point in speculating until we see the final product. For all we know the MK8 R might still have hood struts.
I think it depends on the market - in the UK the mk7.5 has a felt lined glovebox and sliding cover over the cup holders right up until the end of production. I respect your opinion though, and agree that until the performance models appear, some of the finer details won’t be known.