GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, anyone with KESSY had their car stolen yet?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Looks like the Mk7 is on the list of vulnerable cars. Is everyone going to hide their keys in the freezer now, lol?

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/adac-reveals-keyless-entry-systems.html

More indepth article:
https://archive.is/yxcbL

Darkwheat: I've read other sites where the villain uses a "range extender", but this is the 1st time that I have read that the thief is able to drive virtually anywhere. Logic and my understanding was (until I read your link) that the range extender's effectiveness would be limited to the distance from the owner's key. But your link suggests otherwise - I didn't think that the owner's key formed a local hot-spot that would allow WIFI extension beyond a few hundred meters. The addition of the local dongle is a new innovation (which I guess is collected by the thief latter when the stolen car is safely parked out-of-sight)

lDon

Putting the key in a tin-box seems a very simple way of dealing with the problem (no need to buy an expensive Faraday cage) - despite what the article says!

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Scary!!

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
Darkwheat: I've read other sites where the villain uses a "range extender", but this is the 1st time that I have read that the thief is able to drive virtually anywhere. Logic and my understanding was (until I read your link) that the range extender's effectiveness would be limited to the distance from the owner's key. But your link suggests otherwise - I didn't think that the owner's key formed a local hot-spot that would allow WIFI extension beyond a few hundred meters. The addition of the local dongle is a new innovation (which I guess is collected by the thief latter when the stolen car is safely parked out-of-sight)

lDon

Putting the key in a tin-box seems a very simple way of dealing with the problem (no need to buy an expensive Faraday cage) - despite what the article says!

The extension only allows for the RFID chip to open the doors and start the engine. Once the engine is started, it's a safety feature of the car that keeps it running.
Double edged sword for sure but the idea is that say your remote battery died while driving or you started the car with a dead fob you wouldn't want the car to turn off.

Even with an aftermarket gps tracker it's still a little unnerving but like they say....never in the history of technology has there been technology that couldn't be hacked. Scary indeed.
Jimmy

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I see an opportunity for a new DIY....

How to retro fit a key ignition barrel & remove KESSY.....

I never trust KESSY, which is why I didn't option it, however those who had it as standard spec (some GTI/GTD) I would print the ADAC info & request that VW offers you a key car...or pays your insurance premiums...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How far away can this work? If it's on the video I don't know because it wouldn't load for me. Plus one on using an RF sleeve. The ones they make for credit cards might fit. I have one and will see if it fits.

My G37 was stolen out of my driveway between 2:20am and 3:15am; no broken windows, no drag marks on my driveway, and my one and only key right next to my bed on my nightstand. So when I explained what happened to the cops, they said they've seen it before plenty of times where the keyless entry system is bypassed by a hacked keyfob and code. They get right next to it, car recognizes the code, unlocks, engine starts, and poof, there goes your car. He went into detail but at 3am, and extremely pissed off, I could barely make out what he was saying besides the fact that I was SOL lol. I'm probably going to cement chain the R to the house

pedg

I don't think it's as much of problem as they make out here. A friend of mine locked his keys in his GTD, and the locksmith, with his RF/KESSY gadget, tried everything and couldn't get into the car. He even had one of the key replicators, that reads the key (which was in the boot) and re-transmits the same signal to open the car...didn't work.

Also, as far as I am aware, the key doesn't transmit constantly, but merely responds to a request from the car when you, say try and open it. So with the key in your house, a thief wouldn't be able to 'read the key' unless it is being interrogated by the car at that exact moment, and the interrogation signal from the car only works up to about a metre, so it's very unlikely they would be able to copy the signal when the key is in your house.

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
My car wont even start and says the the key is out of range if it is in the backseat. I dont see it transferring the right information for starting up with it in my house.

simonsez

Passed Driver's Ed
Kind of related/unrelated but funny story: I have a light in my apartment and ever since I got my GTI I would come home and the light would be on. The light is on a wireless switch that I bought on Amazon for $20. I thought one of my neighbors must have a wireless switch and it was interfering with mine. Anyway just as I was about to replace the wireless switch one day, my sister came over and forgot something in my car so I unlocked it for her from inside my apartment. The light in my apartment switched on as soon as I pressed the unlock key on the remote. Turns out that my advanced GTI key has a hidden feature that turns on wireless remote controlled switches in the house.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
More unnecessary gloom and doom

If Keyless is such a risk why don't insurance companies (in the uk particularly) charge extra if your car is fitted with it. They never miss an opportunity to hike the premiums up

Any chance carscoop.com is affiliated with the Daily Mail?