GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snapped Short Shifter Bolt

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
Wow did I have a shitty day yesterday...
Likely my mind was elsewhere but a simple short shifter install turned into:

1. Shearing off the 13mm bolt that holds the shifter bracket to the transmission tower. I watched the install videos and heeded the million warnings to not over tighten the bolt so it was just my luck I snapped the bolt doing the opposite in attempting to loosen it. Likely due to a tight fit in the engine bay and I had my torque wrench somewhat angled instead of directly to the bolt.

2. I had the transmission lock pin in place and looks like that broke as well. I'm unable to lock the transmission in the lower position any more. Not as worried about this as there's the diesel geek video showing you can still align your shifter without the pin but still sucks.

3. I left a black metal bit that I use to lock the gear shifter when aligning the shifter on my seat. Ended up sitting on it and could hear it rip a hole in my leather. Luckily its just a small rip and there seems to be a black nylon or something below the leather anyways so it isn't too visible but I was still the most pissed about this. Like I said, just one of those days...

My main concern is the 13mm bolt. First of all I'm having a hell of a time getting the original shifter off. The general area is covered in gunk but assuming the new shifter fits quite tightly as well (remains to be seen) I can't imagine the bolt even being needed considering there isn't really too much vertical force that would pop it off the spline?

I'll likely file the top down so it's flush and tap a new thread into it anyways. Any thoughts as to how deep and how thick I should go?

Attachments

• PXL_20210224_041515950.jpg
    PXL_20210224_041515950.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 286

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Just replace the shaft. Plenty of people have broken that damn stud, myself included. Here is a link to the part that you'll need https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/gear-shift/02q301230q/

To remove the old one, remove the two bolts on top of it and the large black nut on the side. You'll need to wiggle the shaft a bit as you pull it out. Then lube the new shaft with gear oil and insert into the hole, while wiggling a bit to get it in. Then just tighten the two bolts and the nut.

The nut on top is absolutely needed. It's what stops the shift lever from wobbling and wearing out the splines.

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
That's where I'm headed if the tap doesn't work. Seems easy enough to try first though.
Who knows if the material will be strong enough once it's tapped, since it'll be fairly thin at that point.

A little bit of penetrating oil on the splines will help when you go to remove the old lever. Wiggling it and rocking it side to side a bit while pulling up on it will usually work to get it removed. You'll have to be careful though, since your locking pin has broken. You can damage the selector mechanism with too much upward force if it's unlocked.

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
Admiring how clean that engine bay is! Haha.

Got any tips for tapping it? Approximate dimensions? I'm hoping a self driving screw would be enough?

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
I don’t recall the bolt I used, just something I had around. I used an actual drill and tap set, I don’t thing a self tapper would be a good route.
Looks like you kept the original nut washer and just installed another washer and screw on top of that one?

Do you recall, I'm assuming the new screw is thinner than the original and doesn't necessarily thread into the original one?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Looks like you kept the original nut washer and just installed another washer and screw on top of that one?

Do you recall, I'm assuming the new screw is thinner than the original and doesn't necessarily thread into the original one?
Yes it’s smaller.yeahs cause my bolt sheared off and still had like 1/8” I thread left and I couldn’t get my angle grinder In there to grind it down I just drilled into what’s was left on the top, then taped the hole and used the nut as a spacer/washer.

I had to do this in a quick fix fashion as i broke it on a weeknight and needed the car running by the next morning. Otherwise I would have found a way to get it flush and used a larger but shorter bolt with a washer and not need the spacer.

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
Fuck me if this short shifter install won't be the end of my mechanic career...

Spent a good 2 hours trying to get the original shifter off the spline. Wiggled back and forth every which way, used WD40 which I see seeping down the spline, hit a pin and hammer probably a hundred times with a couple pieces of wood between the transmission housing and shifter, pulling with likely 100+ lb of force based on how my back feels...

The strangest thing is I can see there is some play between the shifter and spline and I can wiggle it a few millimeters each direction but it just won't budge upwards almost like there's a loose pin or something holding it in place

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Jesus man, what a trip... I did it myself on my last GTI, a mk5, it was a long time ago, but I honestly remember it being a breeze.... I think im taking it in this time.....

stock_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 VW GTI 6-MT
Fuck me if this short shifter install won't be the end of my mechanic career...

Spent a good 2 hours trying to get the original shifter off the spline. Wiggled back and forth every which way, used WD40 which I see seeping down the spline, hit a pin and hammer probably a hundred times with a couple pieces of wood between the transmission housing and shifter, pulling with likely 100+ lb of force based on how my back feels...

The strangest thing is I can see there is some play between the shifter and spline and I can wiggle it a few millimeters each direction but it just won't budge upwards almost like there's a loose pin or something holding it in place
Did you get it figured out? I am trying to get my Sigma six installed and i’m right there with you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 104