GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smokeshow on first boost pulls after months of cold.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Wondering if anybody else has had something similar happen to them, after long cold period withouth being able to get in to boost, we had dry roads today so decided to have some fun.

When I got in to it and boost went over 10+ psi a huge pure white cloud pushed out and I let off started to worry about the turbo, went in to throttle a bit more to see if it would smoke but nothing.

Started to think it was just some water stuck in the exhaust after I checked things over and it seemed fine, did another pull carefully and nothing until I hit 20+psi in 4th so let off again and so now started to think either PCV or watery residue collected in the chargepipes.

Did a 3rd pull with just a small puff after I hit 26+ psi and nothing on 2-3 pulls after that and running and boosting fine, only other thing out of the ordinary was .62 Lambda recorded on the AP when it usually only goes to .72 during shifts or let off.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It sounds like it was just condensation in your exhaust

have you been able to replicate this again? If not you’re probably fine.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
It sounds like it was just condensation in your exhaust

have you been able to replicate this again? If not you’re probably fine.
Yea think it was just a bunch of condensation stuck in the mufflers, smoked nothing when I was able to do a couple of pulls yesterday. And this is the first winter I am runnning high Ethanol mix, might also have gotten some watery E85.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You didn't get any watery E85. If there was water in the tank all the E would have gone to the bottom of the tank with the water and you would have gotten straight E and water.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
You didn't get any watery E85. If there was water in the tank all the E would have gone to the bottom of the tank with the water and you would have gotten straight E and water.
Obviously not that much water, might also be a effect of cooler exhaust with E85 and cold weather to build up condensation that freezes overnight and first time on boost I pushed it out. I am going to try to get into boost more often and rev a bit before shutoff.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Neibourghs just going to think Im a complete pillock standing there revving my engine before backing it in. 😄