GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smoke Factory at the track.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
I haven't detected any smoke but extended oil consumotion during track Days.

My tread in the matter:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33373

My son now owns the Golf R 2014 that the tread it is about. Now I have Seat Leon Cupra R 310 which have the same engine as Golf R. Will track it for the first time soon.

/Peter

Hi Peter, i had no issues with the PCV system in my 2010 Mk6 GTI. When that car was retired, it had 157k miles on it, about 8k of those on track (VIR & SP) and never generated smoke. The last few track days it did drink about 1/2 quart per 2 hours on track, but by this time it had over 150k on it, so :D

So i bought a Mk7, didn't read up or ignored the warnings, tracked with the stock system, and got black flagged. And told that i should not do James Bond impressions :eek:

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
This was posted a while back on the mk7 facebook group:

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=150640aa44da32158e06b98563f90291&oe=5DA8FCC6

Part number: 06K103495BL. Supposedly is an updated PCV on 2017s and up Audi S3 that addresses this issue.

Here's the link if you're part of the group:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=gm.2376588772360356&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Interesting, thanks for that! The revised part has some sort of tab or something that extends into the front of the cylinder head cover opening, some of the aftermarket designs (LEYO, IE) have a similar arrangement though i'm not certain exactly how it's making oil go somewhere or keeping it from going somewhere. The VWR is just a flat plate with holes and a box on top, with a baffle in the box between plate and hose, so it's hard to imagine any oil being diverted to the can unless the car is stood on its nose for awhile. Which is mighty damn fun to do :D

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone confirmed that it will fit a Golf R?

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Interesting, thanks for that! The revised part has some sort of tab or something that extends into the front of the cylinder head cover opening, some of the aftermarket designs (LEYO, IE) have a similar arrangement though i'm not certain exactly how it's making oil go somewhere or keeping it from going somewhere. The VWR is just a flat plate with holes and a box on top, with a baffle in the box between plate and hose, so it's hard to imagine any oil being diverted to the can unless the car is stood on its nose for awhile. Which is mighty damn fun to do :D

Actually the revised one is on the left in that photo, without the tab that extends down.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
I tried the revised part and it failed exactly like the old one. Replaced with catch can no problems.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Golf R / 2014. July 2017 I ordered the latest revision (at that time) no 06K 103 495 AT. It looks like the one to the right on the picture. The former was 06K 103 495 AA from factory delivery, looked the same on the outside as AT. The price was 70-80 EUR at the VW dealer.

It was the same extended oil consumption during heavy braking and turning as with the AA version.

@GolfRRR Fits R? I suppose so.

@777-300ER Did you do this replacement lately? How old is the version to the left on pic?

/Peter

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48398460_2789719451041965_1280018580557004800_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQm15ynyUMyXgn0yfjFazgnOC7o2KirT-z3rxO4PJzSHGHrK9ajKFt-XNI_0298xklE&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=150640aa44da32158e06b98563f90291&oe=5DA8FCC6

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Just found this about the BL version:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/ang6es/mk7_gti_pcv_revision/

From "fcpeur" comment in the matter:

"We recently heard back from one of our customers who purchased this part. It’ll fit just fine and worked well up until he went to the track. He experienced the same issue - it may even have been worse than before. At this point, the best remedy for PCV issues at the track would be a catch can."

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I came across several people claiming it fixed the issue completely and others that said nope not at all... so who the hell knows lol.

The biggest thing that the pcv plate kit designs change is that the crankcase blowby no longer has a direct path to the intake manifold so I think that is the biggest change and reason they work well on the track. I'm not too sure the tradeoff is worth it though for a street car.

the SSP 606 didnt really describe the fuction of the hole on the bottom of the pcv assembly... I assume its a drain for oil and such that gets in there? The diagrams don't show where exactly it's connected to but I'm guessing thats where the flooded oil enters thru? The redesign would make sense to move it away from the front edge where presumably the oil is accumulating in the head under hard braking. Not sure why they wouldn't put a little more baffling around it though.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I put the BL on my car. Still smokes if a take a cloverleaf onramp at speed and go WOT when getting on highway. It's not bad but it's visible out the rearview. I suspect it would smoke at an autocross event too. I don't think my original PCV did that either but I haven't really paid much attention.

Interesting that it completely solves issue for some people and does nothing for others......

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Just found this about the BL version:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/ang6es/mk7_gti_pcv_revision/

From "fcpeur" comment in the matter:

"We recently heard back from one of our customers who purchased this part. It’ll fit just fine and worked well up until he went to the track. He experienced the same issue - it may even have been worse than before. At this point, the best remedy for PCV issues at the track would be a catch can."
That was me lol. I replaced it and it worked fine for maybe a week. Afterwards smokeshow. I think the reliability of these things has to do with boost pressures as well.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
That was me lol. I replaced it and it worked fine for maybe a week. Afterwards smokeshow. I think the reliability of these things has to do with boost pressures as well.

Ahha :D! Okay not worth a replacement to BL

The latest seems to be 06K 103 495BM.

/Peter

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I got kicked off Summit Point Jefferson two weeks ago for the same reason. VWR catch can arrived today [emoji119]

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Fun times, i got kicked off Summit Main! Smoke lingering in 5 :eek:

Attachments

• smokefactory.jpg
    smokefactory.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 337