GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slow heater - Golf TSI 2015

ervybaby

Car(s)
Golf2015 Mk7 TSi 1.8
Hi, any ideas where I can start looking for a diy solution on how to fix a slow heater? The car can take a long while before the heater gets hot in -10F (-14 celc.). Engine temperature rises normally to halfway. I have standard heating system (not the clima-control) I'm suspecting a sensor. Any good tips to check out first?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Mine in my MKV took a while back in the day and it ended up being a thermostat stuck open, but I also lived in Florida at the time, so it took me a while to even notice.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
A stuck thermostat is probably a good guess.

Juggar

Ready to race!
Well if its -10 F then yeah... its gonna take a solid 10 mins to blow hot air.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How many miles do you have? Ever have the coolant system and heater core flushed?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
DIY test 1:

Take a chunk of cardboard and block the radiator. Go for a little drive from cold start, does this fix the problem?

If yes, your thermostat has failed.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Pull the plastic radiator cowl cover thing, slip cardboard between the radiator and the front bumper to prevent airflow across the radiator. Close/flat against is best. There is no specific way to “do it right”. You are just trying to keep air from flowing through the radiator.

In a working cooling system, at cold start the thermostat is closed keeping water from flowing through the system. This allows the engine to heat up faster as no coolant in the motor is flowing through the radiator to be cooled off.

Thermostats fail in the open position.

If your thermostat is failed, there is nothing to stop coolant from circulating at low temps. This means your engine is trying to heat coolant, that is being adversely cooled in the radiator, up to operating temp, thus taking longer.

ervybaby

Car(s)
Golf2015 Mk7 TSi 1.8