GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slow But Steady Coolant Loss - What Dealer Told Me - Should I Buy Their Explanation?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

robo_remy

Car(s)
2017 GTI
I have a very similar issue. Most of my normal driving doesn't matter, but driving aggressively can noticeably lower it. Bombed it up McKenzie Pass in the Cascades with 4 people and 4 days of luggage (and a full Thule), started it up the next morning with a low coolant warning but no visible leakage (and an immediate trip to find coolant). I have a 5 months before my 5 years is up, so I may take it in for a pressure test and see if it's something in the system or just a more benign leakage. It could be stressed from the climb and load, or the reservoir may have a little leak when the coolant sloshes around in switchbacks.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My 18 S just needed to be topped up after 3.5 years and 20,000 miles. 19 hasn't taken a drop at 22,000 miles.

I refuse to believe that it's normal.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My 18 S just needed to be topped up after 3.5 years and 20,000 miles. 19 hasn't taken a drop at 22,000 miles.

I refuse to believe that it's normal.
Not normal but certainly compared to any other car brand excessive. I've never had a car of any brand that leaked from a part so simple. Besides myself and the people in the forum who have had the thermostat housing leak I've personally known 3 people who had the same problem.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Had my water pump and thermostat replaced in may under warranty and they not wanting to do it at first checked coolent level last month and was below min level took back to dealership had about 10k miles add in that time and they tried to tell me that it was normal to lose that much coolent in city driving. So now keeping track of it to keep pressing them and to show a record of the problem.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Had my water pump and thermostat replaced in may under warranty and they not wanting to do it at first checked coolent level last month and was below min level took back to dealership had about 10k miles add in that time and they tried to tell me that it was normal to lose that much coolent in city driving. So now keeping track of it to keep pressing them and to show a record of the problem.
How's Leo doing? Do you see Keehs360 very often?

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
How's Leo doing? Do you see Keehs360 very often?
Leo’s doing good been Demanding extra food or else. See keehs360 usually every couple of weeks was just over to his place to replace the pads and rotors and going over this weekend so he can try them out so he can decide to change his then probably doing turkey day together too.

JVWranicar

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the input everybody! I really appreciate it. This is the first new car I've ever purchased so do you recommend sending an email to the service department putting this on the record or putting this out there to VWoA? I assume the dealer to get an acknowledgement so that I have a paper trail should something go wrong.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks for all the input everybody! I really appreciate it. This is the first new car I've ever purchased so do you recommend sending an email to the service department putting this on the record or putting this out there to VWoA? I assume the dealer to get an acknowledgement so that I have a paper trail should something go wrong.
Good idea.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't know how much good it'll do if it fails 5000 miles after warranty is up. Maybe go to a different dealer now and see if you can get it replaced.

amsr

Ready to race!
Is there a revised coolant reservoir or cap? Mine does this too. You can actually smell a bit of coolant near the reservoir even though it doesn’t (appear) to be damaged.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I like the idea of the email but doubt it will do much. I would send it along with records/details. Try and get a reply.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
My theory on this is that there is a very small seepage that cannot be detected by pressure test and simply evaporates before it has a chance to drip. My almost 7 year GTI has been doing this from new, I top off once a year and leave it alone. Get a jug of G13 coolant and distilled water, mix it 50-50 and add as needed.