GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slight vibration at higher speeds

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
I can tell you that I get almost the same exact sort of vibration and it just happens to be around 80mph. I know for sure it's something with my spacers because if i take them off it's completely gone. If you're running spacers, maybe try taking off the fronts or the rears one at a time to see if it goes away or pull all off once to test. I love the look with the spacers but am about to take mine off because the vibration is starting to drive me nuts if I'm highway driving.

I don’t believe I have spacers on. If I do then I didn’t put them there and I’m sure VW wouldn’t ?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
They are the standard 16inch VW wheels the car came with. I had them refurbed and powder coated in mirror black. I’ve had the wheel balance done twice though
Were the wheels refinished before or after they were last balanced?

wizmk7gti

Passed Driver's Ed
I have wheels with centering rings as well as stock without. When I had an oil change the shop rotated my tires. Had vibration as soon as I hit 70. Got home. Was thinking they left out a centering ring. But they were all in. I torqued each wheel to 88lb/ft. In 3 steps, while on the jack. No more vibration. Not sure same condition can occur with stock wheels but might be worth a try.

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
I’ve had all 4 rebalanced today using a Hunter 4 Wheel alignment machine and I THINK it has fixed the issue. Will take it a little cruise later on the motorway and various speeds with the cruise on and see what happens. Fingers crossed

Karan

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 GTI
I’ve had all 4 rebalanced today using a Hunter 4 Wheel alignment machine and I THINK it has fixed the issue. Will take it a little cruise later on the motorway and various speeds with the cruise on and see what happens. Fingers crossed
Hey bud,
Let us know how did it go? I am having the same issue on my MK7 GTI.

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
***FIXED***
I took the car a drive tonight on the motorway at various speeds above 70mph and it was absolutely perfect. No more vibrations. Driving smoothly, feeling solid :) I’m very happy as I was starting to get worried it could’ve been a drive shaft or something ridiculous like that, but none of my fears were justified. It was just a simple wheel balance issue. Thanks for everyones help.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Threads like this and my previous experiences with crappy Discount Tire are why I'm afraid to buy custom wheels now. I wonder if it would help to have the dealer install them. The parts guy at my local dealer told me they will accept shipments from Tire Rack.

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
Threads like this and my previous experiences with crappy Discount Tire are why I'm afraid to buy custom wheels now. I wonder if it would help to have the dealer install them. The parts guy at my local dealer told me they will accept shipments from Tire Rack.

Everything I got done was done properly and I’ve got good premium Goodyear tires on. But I get what you mean. In my case it was just the balancing

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
It’s more than just balancing. The attached link explains how Road Force balancing works and can reduce vibrations better than conventional balancing equipment. The tech running the machine is also a key, doing a road force correctly can involve more work to get the tire and wheel to play well together.
https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-elite/

My last set of tires mounted at Discount had huge problems even when they road force balanced them. I brought the car back and they fixed it. I asked them what was wrong and they said two tires were out of balance. Their are allowable specs for the out of balance parameters, minimizing the road force to below a value of 10 has seemed like the limit to what I would accept. The specs for each vehicle are different. I always let them know what I am aware and ask them for a printout for what they ended up with. Most shops seem to appreciate that you understand what they are doing, I always try to show respect and engage them in a conversation. Quite sure they don’t settle for within spec on their personal cars.

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I just recently overcame this same issue. I had a bent aftermarket wheel. Not bad bent, but enough to cause the vibration at anything over 70. This was on a set of cast Rotiform wheels. I got the BBS wheels and the car is smooth as glass.