GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slave cylinder/TOB failure

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
27k miles, engine and drivetrain are both stock aside from an APR intake. Clutch was engaging a little low on the way in to work. Started having difficulty getting into gears. As soon as I got to work the pedal went down and didn't come back up. Reservoir is empty and there is a big drip coming from between the block and bellhousing.

Just had it towed to VW to see what can be done under warranty. Anyone else ha e such good luck? It seems like the slave cylinder and TOB are one single unit. I have seen people upgrade to the all metal version but that had issues with engagement.

Maybe I should have them install a Sachs SRE while they're in there 🤔

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Just had my TOB die at 57k miles, about 55k miles of it was with a twin disc clutch though and not stock power levels and I track my car.

If you've lost that much fluid your clutch will need to be replaced more than likely because your clutch is probably soaked in brake fluid.

OEM is your best bet for TOB, clutch/flywheel is really up to your power goals. If you're going to stay stock power levels there's no need for a mega clutch.

Probably want to check your rear main seal while you're in there too.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
that same thing happened to me, luckily I made it back into the garage and then it finally died. Slave cylinder is in the bell housing - bad design SMH. Anyway, best time to upgrade :)

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
If you've lost that much fluid your clutch will need to be replaced more than likely because your clutch is probably soaked in brake fluid.

OEM is your best bet for TOB, clutch/flywheel is really up to your power goals. If you're going to stay stock power levels there's no need for a mega clutch.
It's definitely pooled up in there, but I had no problems with the clutch slipping. I'll find out next week when the dealership cracks it open.

I did have some suspension work done recently and was contemplating having a Sachs clutch kit installed at the same time, but figured I'd wait until the spring time. Guess this is a sign I should have just pulled the trigger. Not going to be looking for big power any time soon.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
that same thing happened to me, luckily I made it back into the garage and then it finally died. Slave cylinder is in the bell housing - bad design SMH. Anyway, best time to upgrade :)
Having the slave cylinder being inside the housing since it's now part of the TOB just seems like a solution to a question nobody asked.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Having the slave cylinder being inside the housing since it's now part of the TOB just seems like a solution to a question nobody asked.
Agree, its a silly design, really no reason for it that I can think of.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Dealership has chosen to decline the repair due to the locking collar kit on the subframe, as they can't guarantee they can remove and install it without issues. 🙄

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
What are their mechanics fucking retarded and don't know how to remove and install parts correctly?
Well it looks like I don't get to find out =/

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Dealership has chosen to decline the repair due to the locking collar kit on the subframe, as they can't guarantee they can remove and install it without issues. 🙄
Go to another dealer if possible.....That's like refusing to do oil service because they can't guarantee they will re-install the oil cap properly.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
wait - a VW dealer is refusing service on something that is a wear item?
No, the item in question is covered under warranty, stated by the dealership. They have decided to decline service outright due to the additional parts (subframe bushings) present on the vehicle.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
No, the item in question is covered under warranty, stated by the dealership. They have decided to decline service outright due to the additional parts (subframe bushings) present on the vehicle.
This is BS, while they are not blaming your aftermarket parts for the cause or fault, they are choosing not to touch it at all? This is a new one.... Looks like your dealer sucks and they are starting to crackdown heavier on aftermarket parts of any kind, I would go to another one.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I had a dealer try this BS recently. I told them my warranty isn't with you, submit it to VWoA. VW approved it within 5 min. Fuck dealers.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
If anyone is interested, this is what they chose to put in writing. I currently have the car back in my possession and a Sachs SRE kit will be here Monday.

After contacting a second dealership along with VWoA, the consensus seems to be that having to remove any non-factory parts to get to the failed part in question is enough to deny the claim. So the ARP hardware on the subframe is enough to deny the claim, because the subframe needs to be removed to drop the transmission. However. It would not affect a claim for something like the thermostat housing.

It is what it is, but I wish I had this done when the car was at Tyrolsport recently for other work, but I opted to wait until after winter for a clutch/tune. I'm not bothered enough to pursue this issue through VW anymore since I was planning on upgrading the parts in the near future anyway.

Attachments

• 20221005_150901.jpg
    20221005_150901.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Last edited: