GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Single parent has mid-life crisis @ 34; buys dream hatch; gets back into racing after 8-yr hiatus; chases BMW M-cars

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
ahahahaha I should have waited!
😎 😉

1684790420328.png

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
That brings us current. Only thing left to add is pictures and memories. And I have my share!

Next challenge is 6/7, Track Night @ HHR, where Miguel breaks his own damned rules and goes racing in the summertime.

Good thing I run a small shop and have special pricing on fluids, filters, and assistance.

@MonkeyMD will keep me safe. ✌️ 🍻

Long as the intercooler install 5/27 goes to plan, I should be in good shape.

OH! I almost forgot. I checked my tires last week after the TNIA event and found them all at 4/32", right rear (newest) @ 5/32".

These poor meats have been abused like a corporate shill. So new Michelins are in store by end of month.

I have a huge credit for the old ones, and a $110 rebate from Michelin, and 5% off for using my DT card.

Gotta be frugal when you're a man with kids in America...

1684790648093.png

For the 6/7 event, I need to:

-Install my TyMate TPMS sensors that monitor psi and temp
-Download and practice on Harry's Lap Timer
-Install said intercooler
-Debate if I wanna go full-retard and just purchase the AutoTech HPFP and E85 tune.

It's a stretch. Will prolly wait.

This chit is addictive and expensive. A coke habit would be more budget-friendly. Just being real.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
That brings us current. Only thing left to add is pictures and memories. And I have my share!

Next challenge is 6/7, Track Night @ HHR, where Miguel breaks his own damned rules and goes racing in the summertime.

Good thing I run a small shop and have special pricing on fluids, filters, and assistance.

@MonkeyMD will keep me safe. ✌️ 🍻

Long as the intercooler install 5/27 goes to plan, I should be in good shape.

OH! I almost forgot. I checked my tires last week after the TNIA event and found them all at 4/32", right rear (newest) @ 5/32".

These poor meats have been abused like a corporate shill. So new Michelins are in store by end of month.

I have a huge credit for the old ones, and a $110 rebate from Michelin, and 5% off for using my DT card.

Gotta be frugal when you're a man with kids in America...

View attachment 281532

For the 6/7 event, I need to:

-Install my TyMate TPMS sensors that monitor psi and temp
-Download and practice on Harry's Lap Timer
-Install said intercooler
-Debate if I wanna go full-retard and just purchase the AutoTech HPFP and E85 tune.

It's a stretch. Will prolly wait.

This chit is addictive and expensive. A coke habit would be more budget-friendly. Just being real.
Why go full E85 with the IS38 at all? E30 will get you 95% of the way there, and you're already installing an ethanol gauge. Less chance you run out of LPFP duty.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Why go full E85 with the IS38 at all? E30 will get you 95% of the way there, and you're already installing an ethanol gauge. Less chance you run out of LPFP duty.
Simplicity and never having to mix, nor pay 93-octane prices. It's a convenience factor. E85 I can go straight to the pump and get E70-E80 (whatever the concentration is).

It's a nice time saver, TBH. And the added cooling benefits are outstanding. E30-ish gives you more knock protection than straight 93, but nowhere near the latent heat of vaporization that E85 offers.

I do agree with your point on blending to reduce LPFP duty. That's a smart strategy I will certainly keep in my back pocket.

I will likely have Ed, Matt & the EQT gang review some logs after and give their professional opinion on the LPFP duty with E85 when the time comes.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Simplicity and never having to mix, nor pay 93-octane prices. It's a convenience factor. E85 I can go straight to the pump and get E70-E80 (whatever the concentration is).

It's a nice time saver, TBH. And the added cooling benefits are outstanding. E30-ish gives you more knock protection than straight 93, but nowhere near the latent heat of vaporization that E85 offers.
Completely understand that, but you're already paying 93 prices with your current tune, right? If it's a shared E85/93 pump or one you use often, you can usually guesstimate a perfect ratio every time. For me it was 4/9.1-2 on an empty tank. Adjust the ratio as needed if I wasn't completely empty. Definitely won't give you the cooling benefits, but could prevent a LPFP being needed.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Completely understand that, but you're already paying 93 prices with your current tune, right? If it's a shared E85/93 pump or one you use often, you can usually guesstimate a perfect ratio every time. For me it was 4/9.1-2 on an empty tank. Adjust the ratio as needed if I wasn't completely empty. Definitely won't give you the cooling benefits, but could prevent a LPFP being needed.
You just hit on the other reason: I don't want to have to guesstimate concentrations. I know my car takes 10.5-10.9x gallons of fuel at fill-ups, but the E85 concentration varies at different stations throughout the year.

I worry I would be mixing for E20-25 some weeks and E40+ others, the goal being E30 every time.

The variance would either due to my own error (I'm human and blonde)... or the unavoidable errors of pump concentrations skewing the outcome.

I will have a convo with EQT since their tuning tables and adjustments for ethanol variance is the single biggest determining factor for me, along with the LPFP's behavior.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
You just hit on the other reason: I don't want to have to guesstimate concentrations. I know my car takes 10.5-10.9x gallons of fuel at fill-ups, but the E85 concentration varies at different stations throughout the year.

I worry I would be mixing for E20-25 some weeks and E40+ others, the goal being E30 every time.

The variance would either due to my own error (I'm human and blonde)... or the unavoidable errors of pump concentrations skewing the outcome.

I will have a convo with EQT since their tuning tables and adjustments for ethanol variance is the single biggest determining factor for me, along with the LPFP's behavior.
They claim 3% either way is ok. So E27-E33 should be fine.

If you do 7/3.5 with E10/E80, that puts you at E33, and if you do 7/3.5 with E10/E60, that puts you at E27(E26.7 to be precise).

So it's pretty tolerant, as long as you're not running below E60!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Mixing is kind of a pain, but

1) you get used to it
I try to get E40.
I now know that summer blend gas has more e85 so I usually mix in less e85. 40% E85 works to get E40.
Winter is less so it's more like 45% E85.
Also depends a little on station.

2) usually other enthusiasts getting E85 so you get to meet new people and see cool cars. Last one was a Coyote swapped LX Foxbody & an E85 tuned Range Rover

Oh one last thing, some stations don't like you using the same credit card twice. 2nd transaction will be canceled. Looking at you Circle K on 130 & 969

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Oh one last thing, some stations don't like you using the same credit card twice. 2nd transaction will be canceled. Looking at you Circle K on 130 & 969
This. My legit fear. I lose my chit when the automated machine tells me to "get bent" when I'm trying to give it money for petrol...

"PC load letter? WTF does THAT mean!?"

1684798843633.png

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Not to hijack my own thread, but is any of this still accurate on the 1/4 list?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WE2rEVclFFQM1W979sK2mS6aMDYLx9urFuxucWolxD8/edit#gid=0

I'm curious the real-world difference in trap speed between an IS20 GTI on E30+ ...to IS38 on E30+

We know its about a 40-45whp delta at the tires, consistently. That should translate into 2.5-3mph, all other conditions being equal.

But that's auto math. I'd love to see some real world times and traps that aren't at a Wonder-Track like Atco, Bradenton, Maryland Intl, etc.

#Discuss!

1684799560171.png

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Subscribed 😎

You know on OS you can run flex fuel or map switching etc (could make pump, E85, and 3 maps in between for varying fuel mixtures)... 🥸
Oops - what's OS? 😳 👀

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I’m sure Cobb’s flex fuel will finally be released in like 2 weeks months years
Man they said soon!

give ‘em like a couple more days.

Please I just need to keep my hopes alive