GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Simos Tools - New Phone Datalogging App

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Any timeframe around releasing an iOS version?
Like a lot of these things.... just need someone who is familiar with ios app creation and an interest to do so. Android suited the needs best for the current user base so that's just the route that was taken. Thought process was just that you can get a decent tablet or whatever for pretty cheap if you're an ios guy. Maybe if @Switchleg had a little more financial motivation he might wanna make an ios version. We'll see where it goes...it's been talked about, but it's really just a couple guys doing this for fun and their own learning.

Awesome, you guys are great. I know a lot of them aren't even on here, but damn I think all of us really appreciate the effort you guys have made.

Trying to make my way and learn all about this. The actual flashing aspect looks easy, im just not sure were to start with building a base tune. Thats the part im still working on rapping my head around.

I am looking to move to 5 bar map sensor this spring and after reading all this im considering trying to do the tune myself. Also very interested in DSG tuning. So much to learn!!
Yeah, since you're already set up on eurodyne I can see the appeal of just sticking with that for ECU tuning. A0 logging will work great with it. And then you can poke around with DSG tuning too. Would always be an option to ditch ED completely but that is a much steeper learning curve for sure. Take it one step at a time I guess and see where it goes.

Switchleg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7
Hey guys,

Unfortunately I do not own an apple device or I would jump at the opportunity to release it for iOS.

If anyone is looking for a cheap android device to use with simostools I would suggest the Fire Tab 8 which is what I am currently using.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So what can you actually flash with the flash function? Can people buy tunes that work with this, or is it limited to custom stuff you do in your garage..?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
It flashes unencrypted tune or .bin files, mostly. Most commercial tuning options use their own proprietary format with encryption/compression etc.

In europe you see a lot of guys who are "tuning with WinOLS" or similar-- almost all of those setups are using plain/open .bin files to flash. In the USA it's more common to buy into some sort of commercial tuning solution ecosystem and use their file format etc.

So no, you can't take a Cobb tune, or IE tune, or uni tune or whatever flash away. You gotta buy their tool, license, etc for that of course.

It would be possible for a tuner to use the simos tools as a flashing/logging platform though. Just haven't seen a lot of that yet. It's all pretty new, current dongle shortage, etc.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Just started messing with this and a couple questions. Can this do coding and adaptations like OBD11? Where do I change the units from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

Thanks!

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Just started messing with this and a couple questions. Can this do coding and adaptations like OBD11? Where do I change the units from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

Thanks!
No coding, and have not implemented any adaptations yet. Has been discussed adding some of the common ones, like DSG basic setting etc., just haven't gotten around to it yet!

The app doesnt so any internal unit conversion, you can do it in app...but honestly the easiest option is edit the log list csv manually and then import into the app. Here's a copy of "USA" units csv

https://github.com/Switchleg1/SimosTools/blob/master/PID/PIDList22-USA.csv