GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Simos Tools - New Phone Datalogging App

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Thank you.

move tried the link, am able to download it, but not open it.
Hopefully the region can be unlocked and I can access it via playstore

try now should be worldwide enabled. Might take a little time to show up.

Mosquito

Go Kart Newbie
Finally stopped being lazy, this is fantastic for UM mode 22 logging. Easily twice as fast as the ecutek dongle I was using, with far more parameters logged.
What's mode 22? Is that MPI split logging? If so I will get this hands down. My OBD11 and VCDS can't log it.

I also wonder if the ECU flash would work in case I ever want to go back to my factory Box ID (is there a public database of files?) from the one UM uses on my car as they differ.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Mode 22 is "request diagnostic data by PID" -- a diagnostic service provided by the ECU. Mode 01 is generally what's called the "SAE generic" PIDs for basic stuff like rpm, coolant temp, etc. Mode 22 PIDs are manufacter/ECU specific, but can give you more of the data that you really want/need for tuning-- knock, boost above 22psi, etc.

Most of the top commercial solutions offer something even more advanced which is an ECU patch to enable high speed direct RAM logging. Mode 22 is nice, but we only have what VW/Continental decided to give us. There's a few nice to have things missing...but most of what you need is there.

MPI split is not available via mode 22 logging, but you can log DI and MPI injector pw separately.

As far as the box code thing.....yes, you can pretty readily find most stock tune files online to flash with the software. No issues changing box codes, you can flash to whatever you want...you just want to know what you're doing a bit. For example if you flashed a GTI file onto a R, it would immo brick. But cross flashing a common or consolidated box code/ROM is pretty common for these cars.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
The mode22 works nice and is what I'm using with maestro

Driver09

Looks like I just found my next purchase. Nice work guys. Am I correct in thinking this all falls in line with the open source tuning you guys have been working on?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Looks like I just found my next purchase. Nice work guys. Am I correct in thinking this all falls in line with the open source tuning you guys have been working on?
Yeah, basically VW_Flash is the PC based program that started it all for flashing (and some logging capability too). Now *most* of that functionality is moving over to this app, with the datalogging being the most useful feature quite possibly. It now has a built in datalog review function too. It's about as good as you can get for reviewing data on a phone (tablet would be a lot better), but it's really neat.

The Macchina A0 is the dongle to buy to get involved either way-- it's was the app uses and VW_Flash also supports it now too (USB and BLE).

Then for the actual tune editing, we use a free program called Tuner Pro. It's OK software, but it is free and the best .bin editor that I've come across/used. There's some others out there, but they tend to be subbie/older Evo specific.

Edit: but the logging functions are generic and will work with any tune or simos18 ecu. A few UM guys are using it so they can datalog and see ethanol content without a standalone gauge etc.

Last edited:

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Any timeframe around releasing an iOS version?

Driver09

Yeah, basically VW_Flash is the PC based program that started it all for flashing (and some logging capability too). Now *most* of that functionality is moving over to this app, with the datalogging being the most useful feature quite possibly. It now has a built in datalog review function too. It's about as good as you can get for reviewing data on a phone (tablet would be a lot better), but it's really neat.

The Macchina A0 is the dongle to buy to get involved either way-- it's was the app uses and VW_Flash also supports it now too (USB and BLE).

Then for the actual tune editing, we use a free program called Tuner Pro. It's OK software, but it is free and the best .bin editor that I've come across/used. There's some others out there, but they tend to be subbie/older Evo specific.

Edit: but the logging functions are generic and will work with any tune or simos18 ecu. A few UM guys are using it so they can datalog and see ethanol content without a standalone gauge etc.

Awesome, you guys are great. I know a lot of them aren't even on here, but damn I think all of us really appreciate the effort you guys have made.

Trying to make my way and learn all about this. The actual flashing aspect looks easy, im just not sure were to start with building a base tune. Thats the part im still working on rapping my head around.

I am looking to move to 5 bar map sensor this spring and after reading all this im considering trying to do the tune myself. Also very interested in DSG tuning. So much to learn!!