GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Silly seat question

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
So I'm thinking about snagging a kirkey road race seat and having the center of the cover restitched in MK7 clark plaid. What say you, forums?

I should explain, I'm a bigger guy and would like to track the car, but on curvy roads, half of my energy is just keeping me in the seat.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
sure-why-not.gif

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Looks aside, I'd say no for safety reasons. Race seats in street cars cause injuries in minor accidents.
What makes you say that? I'm not disagreeing, just ignorant. I've heard that about roll cages in street cars, especially if you don't drive around with a helmet on.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
What makes you say that? I'm not disagreeing, just ignorant. I've heard that about roll cages in street cars, especially if you don't drive around with a helmet on.
The stock seats will crush with impact and are designed to work in conjunction with oem seat belts. Race seats don't do that. There's certain types of accidents that occur only on the street where a race seat will end up hurting you.

For context I was an insurance adjuster for a few years prior to getting into software development. Seen many bodily injury claims get denied because someone got hurt in a race seat

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
The stock seats will crush with impact and are designed to work in conjunction with oem seat belts. Race seats don't do that. There's certain types of accidents that occur only on the street where a race seat will end up hurting you.

For context I was an insurance adjuster for a few years prior to getting into software development. Seen many bodily injury claims get denied because someone got hurt in a race seat
Well damn. I'll put the idea out of my head then. I thought it'd end up being safer, and depending on the construction and contour of the cushions, possibly more comfortable as well.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
There are other aftermarket seats designed for street use and dual purpose track use, like Corbeau and Recaro. They can usually be ordered in wider sizes and have the same types of adjustments OEM seats have. I'd look at those offerings before moving to a full race bucket.