GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sill plates 4door

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Ok as everyone knows my car was hit by a stupid uninsured kid. Well now that I have the car back, apparently the body shop felt free just painting over a lovely big ass ding in the driver's front sill that they had just installed. I have no interest in sending the car in for another 2 weeks to have it fixed, so I'm looking for some sill plates. Anyone have them on their R already and have good reviews. These are what I'm looking at right now.

https://www.amazon.com/MOON%C2%AE-Stainless-Scuff-Plate-Passat/dp/B00Y4XJP9Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1468538083&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=mk7+golf+r+sill+plate

Also, if anyone knows what the center cap size of a petrol or tsw wheel uses I need that too :)

babarnicle

I'm running the Rearguards brand ones on mine. Less "show" but a lot better coverage. They were also really easy to install.

I got mine from NPG Racing:

https://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/#/product/9783

I'm very happy with them so far and they covered up a few minor scratches and have undoubtedly prevented several more.

I'm also running the ngpracing door sills. Super easy to install and they look stock. Definitely good door sill protection. They were back ordered last month, but I think they should be back in stock.

sabo

Ready to race!
Ok as everyone knows my car was hit by a stupid uninsured kid. Well now that I have the car back, apparently the body shop felt free just painting over a lovely big ass ding in the driver's front sill that they had just installed. I have no interest in sending the car in for another 2 weeks to have it fixed, so I'm looking for some sill plates. Anyone have them on their R already and have good reviews. These are what I'm looking at right now.

check out my build thread page 2, mod #13. Same as guys above - Sillguards by RGM (https://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/sillgaurds-by-rgm-vw-mk6-golf-gti-5-door.html). They look OEM and are molded well for proper fitment. they give great coverage over narrow scuff plates. they do scratch though, but I guess that's the point.

Last edited:

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I liked the sillguards also. The only issue I had was I didn't install the drivers one perfectly and it was sticking up a very slight but more than it should. After a few months I noticed some regular scuffing on the guard and realized the door was scraping it.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Thanks all. I wouldn't have ever found those. After the respray from the accident, the sills look like they are thin paint. That added to the dent they left, and I need to cover it up.

Black on black will make em almost invisible too. Are they removeable? They seem like they might hold dirt.

ADVNTURR

Passed Driver's Ed
The RGM sill guards are held on with the high end 3M automotive adhesive tape. They are technically removable, but it would take some heat, patience, fishing line, and maybe some luck to get them off. I imagine a body shop would be able to take them off pretty easy if it came down to it though.

Are you concerned about them holding dirt in the slight texture or are you concerned about dirt getting under them? The top side cleans up easily in my opinion and they seem pretty durable. I haven't noticed any scuffs in mine despite hitting them with muddied up trail running shoes and hiking books; although my dog's claws have scratched the rear bumper guard a little (which is why it's there). As for the ability for dirt to get under the guards, it is a probability, but I think they are technically behind the seals of the door so it should keep most of the road grime from getting to them.